The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
*Spoiler Theory About Thorin*

Saneliur
Bree

Nov 14 2014, 7:57am

Post #1 of 7 (1124 views)
Shortcut
*Spoiler Theory About Thorin* Can't Post

I was thinking about Richard Armitage's Twitter post about #whatreallyhappenstoThorin

He said: So you think you know how this ends? #whatreallyhappenstoThorin

Then he uploaded this image:

This is Thorin possibly looking over the frozen river at Ravenhill. He's all by himself.

Judging by the order of the tracks "The Fallen", "Ravenhill", and "To the Death".

WHAT IF Kili dies first (The Fallen) and maybe Fili dies trying to defend Kili. Killed by Bolg? Or maybe at the hands Azog? He did swear to wipe out the line of Durin. Would Thorin's nephews and heirs be a target? To further injure him and taunt him?

Thorin sees this all happen, and Azog or Bolg manage to escape back to Ravenhill.

The battle seems to be lost, and the final option would be to attempt to kill the commanding orcs (Azog and Bolg) who are based at Ravenhill.

What if Thorin is so stricken by grief he decides to go ALONE, on what basically is a suicide mission to avenge his nephews and turn the tide of battle?

Instead of Fili and Kili dying for Thorin, what if Thorin dies to avenge them? What if he indirectly commits suicide???

Thoughts?

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2014, 8:04am

Post #2 of 7 (761 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure he is likely to be alone [In reply to] Can't Post

As we have seen Bilbo, Legolas and Tauriel in the same location. So they would have to leave after the brothers' deaths but before Thorin turns up, wouldn't they?

FiliSonOfDis
Rivendell

Nov 14 2014, 8:13pm

Post #3 of 7 (573 views)
Shortcut
if this is the case [In reply to] Can't Post

it would have to be a return to raven hill, as we have seen footage of many of the main heros fighting there already.

this IS possible however as I will add that in the movie guide they have some "miniature" sets of the raven hill battle and they have miniature eagles set up there... it could be possible that they all TRY to kill azog/bolg and then start to lose fili/kili die and the eagles come and save them, after which thorin decides he's going back and suicide missions to kill azog once and for all. I will say there needs to somehow be both all the heros going to raven hill with lots of fighting AND that lone shot of thorin there...which apparently has to do with his "end".

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 14 2014, 8:17pm

Post #4 of 7 (587 views)
Shortcut
If Fili and Kili are dead [In reply to] Can't Post

that becomes all the more reason for Thorin to stay alive.

Though saving the dynasty doesn't help much if you lose the kingdom in the process.

adu
Bree

Nov 14 2014, 8:26pm

Post #5 of 7 (570 views)
Shortcut
It makes things interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

So we can confirm what happens to Thorin won't follow exactly what we got in the book, otherwise why bother with the Tweet? That image is so haunting as well; I'm curious to know where in the battle he gets an opportunity be alone....perhaps he goes there to contemplate the loss of his nephews/dragon-sickness for which he blames himself... and suddenly he is fatally attacked but has enough fight left to finish off his foes before succumbing to his injury.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 15 2014, 12:38am

Post #6 of 7 (533 views)
Shortcut
I could be wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I think we have already seen a few shots of Kili at Ravenhill in the "into the fire" segment of DoS EE. I can't recall whether they were concept art, pre-viz, or stills from the film itself.

This doesn't mean that your theory is wrong, though. Perhaps Kili is killed on Ravenhill and Thorin shows up too late. However, I suspect RA is just trolling and it will end up the same way is it did in the book.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

oburi

Nov 17 2014, 8:54pm

Post #7 of 7 (438 views)
Shortcut
Thorin suicide [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Thorin might be mortally wounded, but he will ultimately decide to take his own life.
I believe that image is right before Thorin kills himself by jumping in the river.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.