Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn's Role in the Final Battle (SPOILERS)

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Nov 13 2014, 11:33am

Post #1 of 7 (915 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's Role in the Final Battle (SPOILERS) Can't Post

So it's looking like the fates of both Azog and Bolg will be settled on Ravenhill. Recently released information has revealed that it is from there that Azog commands his forces, and so it is to Ravenhill that Thorin and the dwarves go to kill him, in the hopes of scattering the Orc armies.

The new trailer has shown both Tauriel and Legolas fighting Bolg, leading many to speculate that it will be by one of their hands that he dies.

As book readers know, Bolg should meet his death at the great paws of the skin-changer. But if Legolas does the deed, what becomes of Beorn?

I think he will be the one to take on the monsters of the Orc armies. We can see from the new trailer that the Orc armies consist of huge trolls, and recently revealed info has also stated that the Orcs employ specially-bred monsters to burrow underground to disrupt the armies of the Elves and Men: giant worms, and shrew/mole-like creatures.

So even though he is robbed of his kill in Bolg, I think Beorn will be the one to turn the tide of battle when the forces of good are overwhelmed and unable to stop the giant monsters employed by the orcs.

I would love to see Beorn in bear-form taking on huge trolls and these shrew/mole creatures, and while I would still like to see him be the one to kill Bolg, I sincerely hope this is the route they go with him if he doesn't. It would be a great nod to the stop-motion movies of Ray Harryhausen that PJ was inspired so much by, in which we would often see monsters fighting other monsters, as opposed to just fighting the heroes. I love me a good monster battle Smile

Thoughts?

Name
Rohan

Nov 13 2014, 12:04pm

Post #2 of 7 (520 views)
Shortcut
Beorn will probably kill Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

It's already been set up, since Azog killed all of Beorn's family.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Drakblod
Rivendell

Nov 13 2014, 12:46pm

Post #3 of 7 (454 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

A bad and pretty silly idea.. The orcs have many trolls and most likely many worms/mole-creatures too, is Beorn gonna run over the battlefield like some kind of tornado and just tear them apart? Unsure

I agree, he's gonna kill Azog, why else would they introduce his tragic past, with Azog killing his people, him being a convict etc?

like butter scraped over too much bread.

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Nov 13 2014, 1:06pm

Post #4 of 7 (412 views)
Shortcut
Well obviously he wouldn't take them all on. [In reply to] Can't Post

But if he were to turn up and take out a couple, it could help turn the tide and rally the Elves and Men to join him in taking out the rest.

I get that it's been set up for Beorn to take out Azog, due to his backstory. But it's also been set up for Thorin to take out Azog too, due to his.

While I would much rather have Dain kill Azog and Beorn kill Bolg, I think it will be Thorin who kills Azog (and be mortally wounded in the process), and Legolas who kills Bolg (UUUGGGHHH).

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Nov 13 2014, 3:28pm

Post #5 of 7 (308 views)
Shortcut
basically yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But even with the Eagles they were still outnumbered. In that last hour Beorn himself had appeared - no one knew how or from where. He came alone, and in bear's shape; and he seemed to have grown almost to giant-size in wrath.
The roar of his voice was like drums and guns; and he tossed wolves and goblins from his path like straws and feathers. He fell upon their rear, and broke like a clap of thunder through the ring. The dwarves were making a stand still about their lords on a low rounded hill. Then Beorn stooped and lifted Thorin, who had fallen pierced with spears, and bore him out of the fray.
Swiftly he returned and his wrath was redoubled, so that nothing could withstand him, and no weapon seemed to bite upon him. He scattered the bodyguard, and pulled down Bolg himself, and crushed him. Then dismay fell on the Goblins and they fled in all directions.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Nov 13 2014, 6:02pm

Post #6 of 7 (248 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree with this // [In reply to] Can't Post

"When you think of the great Battle of Pelennor, do not forget the Battle of Dale. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador! There might be no Queen in Gondor. We might now only hope to return from the victory here to ruin and ash. But that has been averted -- because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring not far from Bree. A chance-meeting, as we say in Middle-earth."
- Gandalf

Name
Rohan

Nov 13 2014, 7:46pm

Post #7 of 7 (218 views)
Shortcut
Beorn could kill Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

But the whole point of Beorn's character is to show up, albeit too late, and "avenge" Thorin. Him killing Bolg makes it look like he's helping out Legolas, Tauriel, and Kili. And I think that detracts from his character.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.