The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOTFA TV SPOT
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 11 2014, 11:09pm

Post #26 of 42 (515 views)
Shortcut
PJ doesn't really have anything to do with the trailers. [In reply to] Can't Post

Filmmakers often give their suggestions of what they want to include or not, but it's mostly up to the marketing team and the trailer company to come up with the creative decisions and most likely the producers of the Hobbit films approve not PJ.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 11:21pm

Post #27 of 42 (487 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure what is meant by "marketing"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you suggesting a marketing company creates the TV spots for the film?

Peter Jackson isn't the one putting these TV spots together.

Could you advise your source for that? I'm not an expert on how trailers and TV ads are produced, but I would imagine that he or a close and trusted delegate is involved in all aspects of the trailers and TV ads.

I think you're reading a little too much into this.

I readily acknowledge that I could be totally wrong about my interpretation of it, since the movie hasn't been released and I don't in fact know whether there will be a more-than-friends aspect to the Kili/Tauriel relationship. However given all the detail and effort and attention that the film team has put into these films over the past decade, I don't consider it 'reading too much into' it to scrutinize the details of a TV ad or trailer, including the beats and positioning of words and images. I stand by my assertion that - regardless of whether I have interpreted it correctly or incorrectly - that the voiceover and choice of those images were conscious choices and I find them interesting enough to be intrigued by it.

And if PJ really wanted to make it clear that Kill and Tauriel were supposed to be just friends, he could have done something simple like leaving out that corny "do you think she could have loved me?" line.

One of the points I am making about implying, suggesting, hinting, etc., is that I find that part of the art form. This line of dialogue doesn't settle things one thing or another. I don't mind that. There are aspects about the Kili/Tauriel relationship that have not been solidified yet. I guess I don't mind that, I like the speculation. Perhaps others don't, and want the topic settled. I enjoy wondering about it.

Regardless, either way, we'll all know in about a month or so, one way or the other Smile.

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 11:26pm

Post #28 of 42 (488 views)
Shortcut
How does this figure into [In reply to] Can't Post

what is or is not revealed in a film trailer or TV ad? In particular, with the many not-yet-revealed plot points, how does a marketing team or a trailer company have a close enough relationship to the details of the story - particularly when often the film isn't yet in its final form - to ensure the trailer is acceptable?

If a source or background information on this subject could be provided, it would be very helpful.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 11 2014, 11:46pm

Post #29 of 42 (478 views)
Shortcut
Standard procedure [In reply to] Can't Post

I've worked in the post-production/motion graphics world for a few years and you learn that since most movie studios no longer have internal marketing teams, they outsource it to smaller boutique houses and marketing agencies.

Marketing is not a priority for filmmakers, PJ is focusing on making a good movie. He doesn't have time to worry about every little ad or promo. He literally doesn't have the time to even think about it much, but here's the process as I've seen it:

What usually happens is when it's time to start marketing a film, the filmmakers will sit with the vendor (in this case it appears that ignition creative handled the DOS campaign http://ignitioncreative.net/...rior.html#/blog/1008), and go over the details of the story and things that they would like to show in the trailers, think broad strokes, and ideas (for example PJ didn't want the full barrel sequence to be hinted at in the DOS trailers). Then the marketing team goes using their own team using materials given by The Hobbit crew. It's obviously not the whole film, but bits and pieces and usually the vfx is temp because in order to have it ready so early they have to take a lot of shortcuts.

Then once they start making these promotional materials PJ might take a look for a final approval, but usually it's the producers who sign off. PJ trusts them to get it right. He can't do everything.

Regarding trailers in general, they are often completely inaccurate to the final film. They are only about creating excitement and anticipation, typically taking scenes and shots out of context. I would never ever look at a trailer as clues towards anything in the final film. I enjoy trailers for what they are, just a contextless piece of marketing material meant to appeal to the biggest audience possible.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Nov 11 2014, 11:47pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 12 2014, 12:08am

Post #30 of 42 (449 views)
Shortcut
T&TA!.. Thang you berry Buch... [In reply to] Can't Post

It nice to get Authentic Answers
to Emotional Questions...
That ...
NEED REAL World answerz..

You Rock!

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Name
Rohan

Nov 12 2014, 1:03am

Post #31 of 42 (481 views)
Shortcut
Is it just me [In reply to] Can't Post

Or does the CGI here look a little better than what we have in the Official Trailer? The shot of the elven archers aiming and firing just looks cleaner to me.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 1:45am

Post #32 of 42 (438 views)
Shortcut
it's the same sort of kiss that Aragorn gave Boromir when he was dying [In reply to] Can't Post

And when she kisses Frodo's forehead at the end of her gifting in Lothlorien in Fellowship Smile

A kiss on the forehead is actually an elvish expression of deep respect and (non-romantic) admiration Wink Galadriel kisses Frodo's forehead and now Gandalf's because she respects them and values them VERY highly as people. Aragorn gave Boromir the forehead kiss because he died valiantly with honor, and was essentially forgiven for his misdeeds. In a way, Aragorn was making peace with someone he'd been quarreling with for a while now, and honoring the fallen.

So sorry to dispel the controversy, but no marriage proposals here! Tongue

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 3:06am

Post #33 of 42 (373 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a very enlightening summary of how the trailers are made and I really appreciate that you took the time to explain it so clearly!

Many, many thanks T&TA Smile.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 12 2014, 3:50am

Post #34 of 42 (355 views)
Shortcut
I hope it was clear! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you.

It is a little nuts in this modern world we live in with all this crazy stuff that goes on behind the scenes.

I just hope the movie is good! Angelic

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2014, 8:40am

Post #35 of 42 (293 views)
Shortcut
Good comparisons here, [In reply to] Can't Post

for those doubting that some kisses can be NON-romantic...
I'm hearing Gandalf now: "I'm not saying not to kiss... Not all kisses are romantic!"l Tongue

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2014, 8:49am

Post #36 of 42 (316 views)
Shortcut
Well, there IS one shot of him there... [In reply to] Can't Post

but perhaps you don't like it or don't find him fair in it: he seems to be in a terrible mood - which can be understood, but still he looks like a baddie in that moment... Hope he somehow redeems himself before the end...*sigh* I like Thranduil and understand his isolationism and fear of Sauron's return, from his terrible background history with him... Crazy

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Nov 12 2014, 8:50am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 12 2014, 1:50pm

Post #37 of 42 (250 views)
Shortcut
Was happy to see Balin too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to see Balin get some screen time in this spot. Ken Stott's portrayal of the character has been one of the highlights of this trilogy IMO.

*Applause* one of the best things about movies (so farUnsure) I love a lot!

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 12 2014, 2:05pm

Post #38 of 42 (255 views)
Shortcut
I am still hoping that NOT seeing things re trailers is a good sign [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil for instance has been described as a "game changer" and re the trailer Thranduil and Thorin having an antagonistic relationship doesn't make them villains (nor does the strain between Bard and Thorin).

And a bit of a strain between T & T is about all we've really seen so far, IMO the juiciest detail of sorts was the scene with Thranduil and Gandalf, and the earlier trailer of with Thorin "I will have war".

This TV spot doesn't give up any juicy details either, but I liked it a lot better than the "real" trailer. For me it DOES seem like we are seeing a lot of Tauriel, and for me it sticks out because I WASN'T expecting to see a lot of her re BOFA e.g. EL herself had said she didn't have a huge part in the films? "significant", but not this huge part.

Anyway I certainly hope that this film is NOT "Thranduil light" after seeing his twin sword action re Dale and just general badassery. Yeah, I'll get plenty of my favorite Thorin LOL call me greedyWinkHeart, I want lots of Thranduil too.Cool

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 12 2014, 5:29pm

Post #39 of 42 (205 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Trailers, TV spots, etc. are usually done by an outside company. In The Hobbit's case it is Ignition Creative. Usually what happens is the production company sends a collection of snippets of scenes to the outside agency, which then picks and chooses which ones to splice into some sort of narrative. (Which may or may not have anything to do with the actual movie.) Since the film is usually still being edited some scenes in a trailer may not actually appear in the final film. (For example the scene of the orc battle during the entry into Lothorien in the FOTR trailer.) Note also that ADR may later be changed, which is why some dialogue in the final film may sound different from that in the trailer (Such as the difference between trailer and film of Aragorn's Black Gate speech in ROTK.)

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 12 2014, 7:24pm

Post #40 of 42 (191 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...unfortunately some people remain convinced that Frodo and Sam are lovers.

Really sad how today signs of deep affection have to always be interpreted as sexual.

(For example, I'd mention the deep affection and respect I have for you and your posts, but people might talk.)

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 12 2014, 7:55pm

Post #41 of 42 (176 views)
Shortcut
*Cough*... [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo and Sam? Aren't they.........?

*Dives into teapot and closes lid*

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 13 2014, 5:20am

Post #42 of 42 (154 views)
Shortcut
Darkstone and Dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

like 'kissing movies'. Blush

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.