The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Question for anyone who has been to RotK Live to Projection Concert

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Nov 11 2014, 4:00am

Post #1 of 18 (859 views)
Shortcut
Question for anyone who has been to RotK Live to Projection Concert Can't Post

The only Live to Projection performance I have had the privilege of attending was Fellowship in Grand Rapids (it was amazing, in case you are wondering - GRSO and the choral group bow to no one.)

My question about RotK is this: are the vocal performances of Pippen's song and the Oath of Elendil done by live performers, or is the audio track set up to accommodate Billy Boyd's and Viggo Mortensen's original recordings?

There is really nothing comparable in FotR; Theatrical Edition, so no Green Dragon, and, honestly, I don't remember how the other diegetic (thanks, Magpie!) music is handled.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 11 2014, 5:54am

Post #2 of 18 (605 views)
Shortcut
I haven't been to the ROTK concert [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the movie is usually the TE, not the EE. If so, that would eliminate anything from an extended/additional scene.

Since the sound of the movie is played during the concert at a subdued level, I would guess they just let that play during those moments when people on screen are singing and that the orchestra plays whatever accompaniment/background music was written for it.

If you don't get an answer here, you could also ask at Doug's blog where there are a few people who have hung out there in the past that I think have seen ROTK Live (it's been a bit slow there recently) or tweet Doug the question.

and ... I didn't know you were near Grand Rapids. I grew up in Battle Creek, don'cha know.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

cats16
Half-elven

Nov 11 2014, 6:40am

Post #3 of 18 (615 views)
Shortcut
I believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe all diegetic songs are kept intact during the performance. Of course, I can't say that with 100% certainty.

I've seen TTT in concert, which is where I'm coming from in my answer. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dijomaja
Lorien

Nov 11 2014, 12:07pm

Post #4 of 18 (594 views)
Shortcut
sounds about right [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen the first two films with orchestra & chorus but I don't recall any scenes in which a character was singing to off-screen accompaniment as would be the case with the songs mentioned. I'm assuming the on-screen voice would be kept as if it were on the dialogue or SFX tracks as these would have been separate from the orchestral score anyway. The orchestra would play 'live' as it does for the rest of the scenes.

The only time this comes up in the LotR Symphony there's an operatic Bass-Baritone singing Aragorn's coronation song. I understand that a "normal" voice would have trouble cutting through the orchestra but the vocalists have microphones and the operatic voice just ruins the scene for me.

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Nov 11 2014, 3:36pm

Post #5 of 18 (596 views)
Shortcut
Michigander, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I'm from and live in Arkansas. We flew up just to attend the concert (well, it was more of an anniversary mini-getaway.) Prior to that, the only place in Michigan I had ever visited was the Detroit airport and surroundings Unsure. We loved Grand Rapids and that area. It was in October, the weather was beautiful, and it was just a lovely trip. I remember an excellent sculpture garden/park and touring a Frank Lloyd Wright house. I enjoyed all of it, but the concert was the highlight.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 11 2014, 4:07pm

Post #6 of 18 (580 views)
Shortcut
Michigan is a beautiful state [In reply to] Can't Post

I miss the landscape... the temperate seasons... the great lakes... the ability to get out to more natural areas very quickly from the cities (at least away from the Detroit area).

But I love other attributes of my section of South Minneapolis enough not to want to return to Michigan.

Grand Rapids, not that far from Holland, MI, has a rich Dutch heritage. Even in Kalamazoo we used to shop at a Dutch bakery.

I'm sure a trip to GR for a concert set you back far less than a trip to Chicago would have. People think Chicago, being nearer to me than NYC, would be a cheaper trip to NYC. Chicago is expensive. A little too pricey for our current budget.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Nov 11 2014, 4:08pm)

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Nov 11 2014, 4:22pm

Post #7 of 18 (595 views)
Shortcut
Exactly what piqued my curiosity [In reply to] Can't Post

The only time this comes up in the LotR Symphony there's an operatic Bass-Baritone singing Aragorn's coronation song. I understand that a "normal" voice would have trouble cutting through the orchestra but the vocalists have microphones and the operatic voice just ruins the scene for me.

So, in the context of the symphony, I rather like the operatic baritone, simply because it points to a different approach. That's what I like about the symphony overall: the changes in balance, dynamics, tempo, etc. serve to reveal some different aspects to the music that I may not have noticed otherwise. In the context of the film, though, I can see how it would be a terrible distraction.

I wouldn't say that is the only time it comes up in the LOTR Symphony. Pippen's "Edge of Night" song is left out, even though the symphony includes what is otherwise a pretty much complete recreation of "The Steward of Gondor" from the OST, so the issue came up and a different choice was made.

Those little choices fascinate me - perhaps too much. Evil

dijomaja
Lorien

Nov 13 2014, 12:22pm

Post #8 of 18 (560 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

Without splitting hairs, that's why I said that the problem didn't come up in the Symphony outside of the coronation scene. The other bits of diegetic music apparently weren't seen as necessary to the story so we were spared operatic versions of drinking songs. Actually, the Bass-Baritone would have sounded good on 'The Road Goes Ever On' but we didn't get that.

For some reason we didn't get the RotK screening w/ orchestra in NY yet even though the other two played a few years ago. Still, in the absence of information from a better source, I'll go out on a limb and predict that we'll we'll hear the characters' voices as if they were dialogue with orchestral accompaniment.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 13 2014, 2:36pm

Post #9 of 18 (569 views)
Shortcut
You do know that a NYC ROTK concert has been announced, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

as part of concerts for the entire trilogy:

http://www.lotrlincolncenter.com/tickets.html

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Nov 13 2014, 8:44pm

Post #10 of 18 (571 views)
Shortcut
went to a performance of ROTK in Grand Rapids, Michigan last year (or the year before?) [In reply to] Can't Post

Billy Boyd and the original performer's performance were preserved.

The concert was a fantastic experience. Also nice to hear Michigan being praised in this thread! I've lived there my whole life.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Nov 14 2014, 2:59am

Post #11 of 18 (540 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the first-hand account! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to get confirmation for what I had pretty-much concluded was the answer.

I wish I could have gone back to see TTT and RotK and take in some more of the area.

Thanks, again!

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Nov 14 2014, 3:25am

Post #12 of 18 (542 views)
Shortcut
no problem [In reply to] Can't Post

my significant other actually performed in the choir for the rendition of FOTR you saw in Grand Rapids - wish I could've seen them do FOTR and TTT, ROTK was an amazing experience. That Ludwig Wicki (I think that is the conductor's name) is really something!

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

dijomaja
Lorien

Nov 14 2014, 11:10am

Post #13 of 18 (557 views)
Shortcut
too late [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, M. I had seen the announcement before tickets were actually on sale and forgot to keep checking. The two performances of RotK are sold out @ the box office. I suppose I could check out the ticket agencies but I hate to feed that sort of thing.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 14 2014, 3:43pm

Post #14 of 18 (546 views)
Shortcut
that's too bad [In reply to] Can't Post

We had no hope of revisiting NYC so I wasn't even following the news much beyond reporting things here. But I remember the buzz was the package tickets were going fast.

It's possible something may become available (at the box office) closer to the event. I think seats are often held back for various reasons that might later be put on sale.

I wonder if there's a 'contact me if seats open up' option.

dijomaja
Lorien

Nov 15 2014, 12:58pm

Post #15 of 18 (534 views)
Shortcut
"there is always hope..." [In reply to] Can't Post

...at least right up to the point when reality comes crashing in. Anyway, I'll try that as well as holding my nose and calling the semi-legal scalpers. When have I been rash who have been patient so long? (Actually, that second quote's probably not allowed on the movie board.)

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Nov 15 2014, 10:26pm

Post #16 of 18 (508 views)
Shortcut
That's exceptionally cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

my significant other actually performed in the choir for the rendition of FOTR you saw in Grand Rapids

As I said before, every aspect was great, but I was particularly impressed with both the adult and youth choirs. I wondered at the time if the choirs were auxiliaries of the Symphony or standing choirs.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 15 2014, 11:47pm

Post #17 of 18 (534 views)
Shortcut
It's my experience that the choirs are usually local [In reply to] Can't Post

Soloists vary. the Symphony performed in Minneapolis used a local boy for the boy soprano parts and Kaitlyn Lusk, a female soprano who has traveled extensively for many concerts all over the world and Sissel has traveled for various concerts, as well. I'm not sure who did the male baritone in Mpls but I'd bet he was local. There wasn't that much singing for him to do and I can't imagine paying someone to travel for the short solo for the ROTK portion.

However, I don't know if this same pattern happens in Europe where it might be easier for the large choirs to travel with the orchestra. And there might be some difference between the Symphony and the Live performances... and there might have been some changes over time in how they handle things.

But I know lots of people reporting about their special experience being able to sing in the choir when the Symphony/Live concert got scheduled for their area.

There was a six part write up of one person's experience singing in a choir in, I think, Munich, in 1911.

I'll link to the sixth part because it has links to parts 1-5
http://www.musicoflotr.com/...of-rings-part-6.html

here's another one:
http://afortmadeofbooks.blogspot.com/...e-elves-singing.html

There have been a fair number of articles and blogs about people participating in the concerts. I just haven't kept all those links.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 25 2014, 10:51pm

Post #18 of 18 (565 views)
Shortcut
someone is selling tickets on the Moot board [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=799883#799883

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.