More favourite Tolkien quotations!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Grand Bob
The Shire

Nov 13 2014, 3:33pm

Post #26 of 34 (467 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the welcome. I have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings every year since 1973 and will continue to do so until I tire of them (which doesn't appear to be likely). By the way, for this year's LotR reading I used the new 60th anniversary LotR UK edition. It is very nice and it will probably replace "Old Paint" - my beloved 1991 Alan Lee illustrated edition that I have read for the previous 23 years.

One of my favorite quotes from The Hobbit:

"Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway."

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Nov 13 2014, 6:31pm

Post #27 of 34 (485 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien is incredible....this is so true [In reply to] Can't Post

Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”
¯ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 14 2014, 1:05am

Post #28 of 34 (438 views)
Shortcut
"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." [In reply to] Can't Post

I use that one at work too--on myself.

Plurmo
Rohan

Nov 14 2014, 3:12am

Post #29 of 34 (452 views)
Shortcut
The sleep they had never meant to take. [In reply to] Can't Post

The long shadow of the stone in the middle of the hollow circle at the Barrow-downs, which was over the hobbits when they awoke from the "sleep they had never meant to take." That one impresses me because it seems to be a signifier of the Barrow Wight himself.

In the sense that it signals that the hobbits had fell prey to the Wight, entangled in the encircling dusky labyrinth of mist and shapes that is the threshold of his dominion. In the sense that its wandering body has its feet firmly attached to the ground, and the stone, around which it sways, is the only being with a voice so "slow and everlasting" as to be able to make company to a being in eternal captivity, living in the agony of a sleep it had never meant to take.

When Sam put the Ring on his finger (and so entered the Wraith World,) he felt like a "small black solid rock," so, in a sense, maybe the shadow of Bilbo the goblins saw at the Misty Mountains gate was also the shadow of a stone. Maybe the little we perceive of some of the beings trapped in the Wraith World we take for shadows of stones, because in our minds there could be no other matching element for the heavy shadow that expresses the stillness of a waiting wraith.

Grand Bob
The Shire

Nov 14 2014, 11:56pm

Post #30 of 34 (459 views)
Shortcut
Just one more.. [In reply to] Can't Post

After looking at the Tom Bombadil thread, I decided to add one more of my very favorite Tolkien quotes, from one of his letters (#144) describing Bombadil:

"The story is cast in terms of a good side, and a bad side, beauty against ruthless ugliness, tyranny against kingship, moderated freedom with consent against compulsion that has long any object save mere power, and so on; both sides in some degree, conservative or destructive, want a measure of control. But if you have, as it were taken a 'vow of poverty', renounced control, and take your delight in things for themselves without reference to yourself, watching, observing, and to some extent knowing, then the question of the rights and wrongs of power and control might become utterly meaningless to you, and the means of power quite valueless."

This statement becomes more profound upon reflection, and in a nutshell is an excellent summary of politics (the desire for control that he addresses), and its alternative, which is represented by Bombadil.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 16 2014, 12:46am

Post #31 of 34 (450 views)
Shortcut
From the introduction to "Leaf by Niggle" [In reply to] Can't Post

"One of its sources was a great-limbed poplar tree that I could see even lying in bed. It was suddenly lopped and mutilated by its owner; I do not know why. It is cut down now, a less barbarous punishment for any crimes it may have been accused of, such as being large and alive. I do not think it had any friends, or any mourners, except myself and a pair of owls."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

marcelm2000

Nov 21 2014, 9:41am

Post #32 of 34 (402 views)
Shortcut
Everything in the world has its right to survive [In reply to] Can't Post

My goes "Men are created equal"
I never dispise those who are disable, and i think most of them don't dispise themselves either. Because Men are created equal, they have their own happiness, we can not know.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 3:12pm

Post #33 of 34 (407 views)
Shortcut
remided me of this, on the pacifist dilemma [In reply to] Can't Post

Part way through "Aldarion and Erendis, 'The Mariner's Wife' " (Unfinished Tales) King Meneldur learns that Sauron is stirring again and that it might come to war. This is his soliloquy about the dilemma of how to respond to evil:

To prepare or let be ? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in he midst of peace for blood spilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru : At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to gold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them ? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 7:28pm

Post #34 of 34 (455 views)
Shortcut
Excellent quotation [In reply to] Can't Post

And since we've been bringing up religion elsewhere (or the lack of it), it's interesting that that speech includes the notion of people meeting their Maker and having to justify their actions. But the Numenor tale is the most directly religious of all parts of the story. There's never any mention of Feanor having to explain his actions to Eru, or Finrod being rewarded for his. It's a Man thing.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.