Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Silm: Question about something in the "Aule and Yavanna" chapter [spoilery details]

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 3 2014, 3:41am

Post #1 of 12 (604 views)
Shortcut
Silm: Question about something in the "Aule and Yavanna" chapter [spoilery details] Can't Post

So Aule made the Dwarves and Yavanna is upset. Conversations and some dreaming(?)/seeing took place, with certain outcomes.

I'm particularly intrigued by the last but 2 paragraphs:

‘Nay,’ he said, ‘only the trees of Aulë will be tall enough. In the mountains the Eagles shall house, and hear the voices of those who call upon us. But in the forests shall walk the Shepherds of the Trees.’

Then Manwë and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulë; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. ‘Eru is bountiful,’ she said. ‘Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.’

Is Manwe equating the Ents to the Eagles? If he is, does it mean the Ents are also Maiar? If not, then how could they, the Ents I mean, be "created" and given life, since only Eru has that power? Doesn't seem like he would grant another exception so soon just for Manwe to do so and calm Yavanna down, does he? But since the Elves woke the Ents and taught them speech, it does seem like Ents are not Maiar?

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XXI
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 3 2014, 8:36am

Post #2 of 12 (410 views)
Shortcut
No, they are not [In reply to] Can't Post

At least not to my understanding.

No one knew whence they (Ents) came or first appeared. The High Elves said that the Valar did not mention them in the 'Music'. But some (Galadriel) were [of the] opinion that when Yavanna discovered the mercy of Eru to Aulë in the matter of the Dwarves, she besought Eru (through Manwë) asking him to give life to things made of living things not stone, and that the Ents were either souls sent to inhabit trees, or else that slowly took the likeness of trees owing to their inborn love of trees.
- The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 247

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 4 2014, 12:22pm

Post #3 of 12 (369 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i went back and read the chapter again [In reply to] Can't Post

Then Manwë sat silent, and the thought of Yavanna that she had put into his heart grew and unfolded; and it was beheld by Ilúvatar. Then it seemed to Manwë that the Song rose once more about him, and he heeded now many things therein that though he had heard them he had not heeded before. And at last the Vision was renewed, but it was not now remote, for he was himself within it, and yet he saw that all was upheld by the hand of Ilúvatar; and the hand entered in, and from it came forth many wonders that had until then been hidden from him in the hearts of the Ainur.

Looks like it was an opportunity for Manwe to get a better look at stuff in the Music.

Thanks, BlackFox!Smile

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XXII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2014, 4:13pm

Post #4 of 12 (371 views)
Shortcut
I had always thought.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That the Ents, the original Ents, were free spirits whom Manwe/Eru had sent into the trees to take up their form and protect them. Unless I am wrong, not all of those spirits in Arda were Maiar or Valar descended from the Timeless Halls (Ungoliant, Tom Bombadil, Old Man Willow, Barrow-Wights etc..) so I imagine that there might be free spirits roaming the landscape. Maybe personifications of Nature, the Great Music, Eru's will, Creativity, or something else? (Take your pick) Anyway, I see these as free spirits still loyal to Eru, if only tacitly inthat they do not follow Morgoth or have their own ideas of possessing authority. As such, I think they would b conscious of and obey Eru or his direct representative.

Hmm...Maybe this is where dragons and Balrogs came? Free spirits who followed Morgoth?

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 4 2014, 4:46pm

Post #5 of 12 (361 views)
Shortcut
So does Ents have their own Hall of Mandos? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where do their spirits go when they die? This gets complicated.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2014, 5:00pm

Post #6 of 12 (357 views)
Shortcut
You are forgetting the most important question here!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do they have wings? Cool

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2014, 5:12pm

Post #7 of 12 (356 views)
Shortcut
Seiously now.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot tell if that was tongue-in-cheek or not, so I will give an answer either way.

I assume they have the same fate as the Ainu spirits. Not Mannish, Dwarvish, Ainu, or Elvish, and probably not figuring as MC's anywhere in the Cosmogony, so I'll list them under the category: Other. Who knows What the Professor might have said if he had anticipated this question?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 4 2014, 5:45pm

Post #8 of 12 (350 views)
Shortcut
Or do their spirits have wings? [In reply to] Can't Post

But actually, it was a serious question. They probably are under the Other category. And when I think about other oddities such as Ungoliant, who apparently died by eating herself, where did her spirit go? Or Balrog spirits? And if Huan could speak, was he more than a regular dog (I'm assuming dogs in Arda don't have eternal spirits that go to Mandos, etc), and if so, where did his spirit go? I'm not sure there are answers for that in what Tolkien wrote.

When Saruman is killed in the Shire, his spirit is pointedly not allowed to go West, so it seems to go wherever Sauron's does and becomes a little "ghost," I guess. Maybe something to send shivers down your back if it crosses the room, but otherwise harmless. I'm not sure Tolkien really wanted all unhoused spirits to hang around Arda forever as ghosts, however, so it seems a detail he never worked out. He seems more focused on the major 2-legged races (Elves, Men, Dwarves) when it comes to the afterlife. For the rest of the spirits, it's like Shire maps showing areas outside the Shire: blank.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 4 2014, 6:33pm

Post #9 of 12 (345 views)
Shortcut
Hall of Entwives [In reply to] Can't Post

In the sacred grove of Carya, the Lady of the Nut-Tree.

Whose priestesses danced around dressed as trees.

From which we get the word "caryatid".

Which are female figures used as columns.

To support halls.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 5 2014, 1:41pm

Post #10 of 12 (331 views)
Shortcut
Does it mean the conception of life apart from or inspite of Eru's grand designs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting. I'm having images of random amino acid strands getting radiation bombardment Smile

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XXII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI

=======

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 6 2014, 5:05pm

Post #11 of 12 (344 views)
Shortcut
Of Eagles and Ents [In reply to] Can't Post

To answer this question, you have to understand how this chapter came into being. It is, as I say in Arda Reconstructed, "completely manufactured by Christopher, though using his father's own writings. There had never been an equivalent chapter in the Quenta Silmarillion, and it is made up almost entirely of parts of texts that are completely separate from the Quenta or the Annals. Moreover, the two separate parts of the chapter--one concerning the Dwarves and the other concerning the Ents--are largely unrelated to each other.

The portion regarding the Dwarves is taken from a text called "Of Aule and the Dwarves" and alternatively "Amended Legend of Origin of the Dwarves," which is related to what was Chapter 13 of the later Quenta, "Concerning the Dwarves." Christopher decided to include this material much earlier than that, and created this new second chapter of the Quenta. He also decided to tack on to this a completely unrelated text called "Anaxartamel" or "Of the Ents and the Eagles." There is no indication that Tolkien ever intended this text to be part of the Quenta Silmarillion, so it is unclear why Christopher included it. Again quoting from Arda Reconstructed, 'In his commentary on this text, he [Christopher] cites a 1963 letter of his father's in which he states that "some" (including Galadriel) held the opinion that Ents were the result of Yavanna beseeching Eru (through Manwe) to "give life to living things not stone" in response to His mercy to Aule.'

In any event, no, I don't think he is equating the Ents with the Eagles of Manwe in this text (which can be read in full the War of the Rings). Clearly they are being created after the creation of Arda, whereas the Ainur (which included the Maia) existed before Arda was created.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

(This post was edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Nov 6 2014, 5:06pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 7 2014, 11:47am

Post #12 of 12 (392 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the information, Voronwë [In reply to] Can't Post

Very interesting. Smile

=======

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.