How A Silmarillion Movie Trilogy Would Work

drewster81
The Shire

Nov 2 2014, 10:50pm

Post #1 of 7 (498 views)
Shortcut
How A Silmarillion Movie Trilogy Would Work Can't Post

Hello All!

I've been quite enamored at the kind of choices that a screenwriter must make in order to usher a book to the screen. I'm sure a lot of us have thought about how the Silmarillion would come to the screen.

Film 1:
Prologue: Creation of Arda, Destruction of the Two Lamps
The film proper would begin with the awakening of the elves narrated for a bit until we get to the actual protagonist of the first film, Feanor. The story for the rebellion, kinslaying, and eventual battle against Melkor, ending with the rising of the Sun and awakening of Men would be a great climax.

Film 2: Begins with Dagor Aglareb. This film would mostly focus on Beren and Luthien and the Children of Hurin with characters in Menegroth and Gondolin peripheral around the plot and the central Dagor Bragollach. The tragic ending of Hurin and his family would be paralleled to the slaying of Thingol and the Silmaril from Luthien passing down to Elwing as a sign of hope as she escapes.

Film 3: Nírnaeth Arnoediad in the prologue. The film's structure would follow a three act: 1) Destruction of Gondolin/Doriath, 2) Elwing and Earendil's escape and journey 3) The War of Wrath and final fates of the Silmarils.

The Akaballeth would be great to see, but is tangential to the main story of the Silmarils.

I know many characters would have to be excised and some events shortened. The major battles would need to be shortened to what they mean. To me, while great, the battles would play a lesser role to the characters, except for the War of Wrath, which deserves to be depicted in all it's glory (and a lot would have to be embellished). I always appreciated how lean Fellowship was in streamlining the story to it's essentials.

Anyway, just some musings on a cold Sunday. :)
Drew

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 3 2014, 12:51am

Post #2 of 7 (358 views)
Shortcut
The Akallabęth would make a fine sequel. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think it's really much too big to fit in 3 movies. Your Film 1 might work, with the creation bits constrained to a prologue and the main concentration being on Fëonor, the rebellion, and its immediate consequences, But the tales of Beren & Luthien and Hurin's family could each make a good film itself. Then I think the Fall of Gondolin (beginning with Eöl and Aredhel) could work as a single film.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Nov 4 2014, 12:27am

Post #3 of 7 (318 views)
Shortcut
In my opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

You'd need more than 3 films to do the Silmarillion justice. I actually have a 9-movie plan I created if anyone wants to see it. And this is just about the SIlmarillion proper, I didn't even put Akallabeth in there! I think it would fit well as the second in a trilogy of second-age movies (the first being about the War of the Elves and Sauron and the last being about the War of the Last Alliance).

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Nov 4 2014, 12:27am)

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Nov 4 2014, 3:35am

Post #4 of 7 (309 views)
Shortcut
if it were me [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmarillion would be a TV series that lasted two seasons.

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

Cillendor
Lorien

Nov 4 2014, 4:11pm

Post #5 of 7 (368 views)
Shortcut
H.K. Fauskanger has a brilliant concept for an Akallabeth movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can read it here.

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Nov 6 2014, 3:12pm

Post #6 of 7 (290 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo... [In reply to] Can't Post

We got to see Feanor...come to think of it, only Galadriel could be included from the original cast when it comes to all of this...lol..I think....or Celimbror, but wasn't present in the movies..

KingTurgon
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 9:22pm

Post #7 of 7 (283 views)
Shortcut
Gil-galad [In reply to] Can't Post

He could make another appearance (he was in the prologue for FOTR).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.