The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS extend edition

Axeman21
The Shire

Nov 1 2014, 7:58am

Post #1 of 12 (1239 views)
Shortcut
DOS extend edition Can't Post

Well managed to see some clips of the up and coming extended desolation of smaug on sale next week in the U.K. How come in the first hobbit film thrain has one eye now he has two ever so kind those evil orcs helping a poor old dwaf . All money for production not a penny for continuity

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Nov 1 2014, 8:14am

Post #2 of 12 (644 views)
Shortcut
You started the same thread [In reply to] Can't Post

which had numerous answers on September the 25th here:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=776885;#776885

I am sure you can read that again and have all the answers you want.

Cool

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 1 2014, 12:36pm

Post #3 of 12 (506 views)
Shortcut
Meh. Who cares? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe his eye healed over time.

Maybe it's a metaphor for how he was blind to the growing shadow but now he can see.

There are far bigger problems than this small detail - Like Thranduil, his design changes from perfect handsome elf to horribly disfigured and back within a single shot. That was a far more intrusive mistake. But it's the story that really matters.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Nov 1 2014, 1:37pm

Post #4 of 12 (452 views)
Shortcut
yes, I hope they digitally change the actor in a future edition.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Barrel_Rider
The Shire

Nov 1 2014, 3:22pm

Post #5 of 12 (409 views)
Shortcut
It's simple [In reply to] Can't Post

They simply forgot and the now it's a continuity error, there are many with these films.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 3:36pm

Post #6 of 12 (374 views)
Shortcut
I honestly hadn't even noticed he had but one eye in AUJ before I saw this question brought up here [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how I could have missed it, especially considering how many times I've seen AUJ.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 3:42pm

Post #7 of 12 (367 views)
Shortcut
The same could be said about any film [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially one of the scale of these movies.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 3:43pm

Post #8 of 12 (359 views)
Shortcut
Possible. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or they tried it and felt it hindered the performance, or Sher couldn't get on with the make up for it ...for now, who knows.
Given that the whole actor has changed I don't suppose it makes much difference.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Nov 1 2014, 6:21pm

Post #9 of 12 (334 views)
Shortcut
Not going to lie [In reply to] Can't Post

One must be rather dumb to think such a change was made by mistake. They clearly would have looked back at the old design for the new Thrain. And obviously they made tweeks, they may have wanted use to see both of his eyes since he's such a great actor. If they had known about the whole Thrain plot and the actor they would use from the start such changes wouldn't have happened.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Nov 1 2014, 9:31pm

Post #10 of 12 (291 views)
Shortcut
Little screentime? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thrain only really appeared in AuJ for a very brief time, he was really only in a couple of shots in the prologue and can just be glimpsed at the battle for Moria. I'm guessing the film makers felt they didn't have to stick 100% to the previous design since it appeared only briefly.

Sort of like how Gollum looks slightly different in FOTR and how Smaug had four legs in AUJ.

Yes, my username is terrible.

DjU
Lorien

Nov 2 2014, 3:49pm

Post #11 of 12 (207 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
One must be rather dumb to think such a change was made by mistake. They clearly would have looked back at the old design for the new Thrain. And obviously they made tweeks, they may have wanted use to see both of his eyes since he's such a great actor. If they had known about the whole Thrain plot and the actor they would use from the start such changes wouldn't have happened.

Thats more or less it exactly.

You more or less have re-iterated what has been explained quite a few times in a number of threads, however some people still insist it is some kind of oversight or mistake... they will probably continue no matter what is explained to them.

Note this is a brief quote from Daniel Falconer from WETA when someone questioned him about this very thing.

Thrain does look different, doesn't he? Much like Gollum evolved between his brief appearance in FOTR and being featured in T2T, and Smaug lost limbs between the theatrical release of AUJ and DoS, Thrain's design continued to evolve after he appeared, briefly, in a few shots in AUJ. The actor changed as well. With Peter, performance is everything, and he won't hesitate to change something that is established if he considers the result to be an improvement. Hopefully when you see the character in context in the extended edition of DoS, you will like him. Beyond that, I can't really comment until the extended edition is out.

(This post was edited by DjU on Nov 2 2014, 3:54pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Nov 2 2014, 4:10pm

Post #12 of 12 (194 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the quote DjU! [In reply to] Can't Post

It really sheds light into that considerably important matter of Thrain's eye.Laugh.I like how Jacskon is thinking and acting when these things occur.He wants the best result in general and such inferior "problems" do not trouble him at all.And Thrain's overall performance and design in DOS EE, is easily one of the highlights of the movie.That is more substantial than any other nitpicking and what should really matter for all of us

Wink

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.