The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS EE: I don't understand

cartermoulton
Bree

Nov 1 2014, 2:24am

Post #1 of 22 (1317 views)
Shortcut
DOS EE: I don't understand Can't Post

hi all, just watched the EE. Thought the Beorn stuff was absolutely wonderful; Thrain was a plus (shows the ring, which could be important)...There are some weird cutting issues (1:52-1:53 there's a strange cut between Gandalf in Dol Guldor and the company at the foot of the mountain that doesn't quite flow)...was hoping new Master scenes would flesh out the character and culture of Laketown, but unfortunately all of the scenes have Bard tunnel-vision.

I have two continuity questions:
1. As the company approaches the Lonely Mountain, why does Thorin tell Bilbo, "Relax Master Baggins, we have good food and we're making good time" and then, only seconds later, rush the company and say "we don't have time to wait for Gandalf...."
2. This has been addressed I believe, but how does Bilbo hear "Sting" after he takes off the ring?

"the road goes ever on and on..."

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 10:38am

Post #2 of 22 (594 views)
Shortcut
Not sure I know what you mean by hearing Sting? [In reply to] Can't Post

But on the first I would argue for a practical answer and a thematic one.

Firstly, there is a practical difference between making good time and being able to stop and wait for an indefinite amount of time (after all it's not as if they could see Gandalf just rounding the corner!) I think also there is a suggestion of Thorin's growing pride at work, especially with his kingdom in sight. The idea that he should sit and wait for someone wiser or more effective as a leader to turn up would not be an attractive thought for Thorin at all!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 11:29am

Post #3 of 22 (582 views)
Shortcut
What he means is... [In reply to] Can't Post

... how can Bilbo hear the spider cry out "It stings! Stings!" when he has already removed the Ring by the time this happens.

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Nov 1 2014, 11:32am

Post #4 of 22 (586 views)
Shortcut
My assumption... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to think that some of the Ring's power may linger after taking it off hence the possibility that he heard what the Spider said. Hopefully PJ will address this in the EE commentary.

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 11:34am

Post #5 of 22 (538 views)
Shortcut
I prefer this explanation as well. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Nov 1 2014, 11:50am

Post #6 of 22 (532 views)
Shortcut
the Ring's power [In reply to] Can't Post

I was always wondering about this scene, because it looked odd to me. Not just he heard the spiders talking after he took off his ring, but he also couldn't kill them while wearing the ring. There was some strange metal sound when he strike with the Sting but nothing happened to the spiders so I hope to learn more in commentaries.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 11:58am

Post #7 of 22 (553 views)
Shortcut
Oh I see. This is exactly what happens in the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

Presumably the ring effectively teaches the language rather than acts as a translator.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 12:27pm

Post #8 of 22 (493 views)
Shortcut
I didn't interpret that as being to do with the ring. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Bilbo just makes the mistake of striking the spider on its hard upper carapace - hence the noise. All the other spiders he or anyone else kills are struck in the face or softer underbelly.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 12:51pm

Post #9 of 22 (486 views)
Shortcut
Help me refresh my memory [In reply to] Can't Post

Where exactly is this topic addressed?

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 12:54pm

Post #10 of 22 (493 views)
Shortcut
The sequence in the book is just the same as in the film. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo does not hear any speech from the spiders, he puts on his ring, he hears spiders talking, he takes off his ring and still hears them talking.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 1:03pm

Post #11 of 22 (476 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes, indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

But it isn't directly stated that it was the Ring that gave Bilbo the ability to hear and understand the spiders in the book, or is it?

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Nov 1 2014, 1:09pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 1:09pm

Post #12 of 22 (471 views)
Shortcut
No not in TH [In reply to] Can't Post

But Tolkien discusses that the ring has such effects in ROTK during Sam's possession of it.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 1:11pm

Post #13 of 22 (457 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the reference! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what is was looking for.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 1:23pm

Post #14 of 22 (458 views)
Shortcut
Did you mean this paragraph? [In reply to] Can't Post

He listened. The Orcs from the tunnel and the others marching down had sighted one another, and both parties were now hurrying and shouting. He heard them both clearly, and he understood what they said. Perhaps the Ring gave understanding of tongues, or simply understanding, especially of the servants of Sauron its maker, so that if he gave heed, he understood and translated the thought to himself. (my emphasis)
- The Choices of Master Samwise, The Two Towers

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 1:29pm

Post #15 of 22 (446 views)
Shortcut
The very one. [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 1 2014, 1:31pm

Post #16 of 22 (444 views)
Shortcut
I would have loved talking wargs [In reply to] Can't Post

If Bilbo had put on the Ring during the Frying Pan episode, and heard the wargs talking (perhaps about fifteen birds) it would have helped emphasise this power and left a level of ambiguity as to whether Smaug was talking or the Ring was translating.

I think it would have made the scene more enigmatic and cool.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Nov 1 2014, 1:32pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 1:46pm

Post #17 of 22 (442 views)
Shortcut
Do the dwarves know about the ring in the films so far? [In reply to] Can't Post

It occurs to me that I don't think they do - that might be deliberate if I'm not misremembering.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 1:48pm

Post #18 of 22 (443 views)
Shortcut
You're not [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't gotten the impression that they'd know either.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Nov 1 2014, 1:57pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 1 2014, 2:51pm

Post #19 of 22 (413 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Oh I see. This is exactly what happens in the book. Presumably the ring effectively teaches the language rather than acts as a translator.

In the book, the giant spiders seem to be able to speak in common. There is no indication that Bilbo's ring has anything to do with his comprehension of the spiders.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 3:38pm

Post #20 of 22 (386 views)
Shortcut
No reason to interpret that way over the other. [In reply to] Can't Post

My point, as stated, was that the sequence of events was the same.

There is no particular reason that I can see to go one way or the other on the explanation for that sequence - both are perfectly valid and supportable as far as I can see.

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 1 2014, 3:42pm

Post #21 of 22 (397 views)
Shortcut
Thats [In reply to] Can't Post

(1:52-1:53 there's a strange cut between Gandalf in Dol Guldor and the company at the foot of the mountain that doesn't quite flow)..

Probably because the original cut was different.

Original cut:

Healing of Thrain > Company on the Doorstep > Gandalf and Thrain talking about his ring.

EE cut:

Healing of Thrain > Gandalf and Thrain talking about his ring > On The Doorstep.

Video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9elc4TmZxanRjd0E/view?usp=sharing

(This post was edited by Faleel on Nov 1 2014, 3:44pm)

Timdalf
Rivendell

Nov 1 2014, 5:19pm

Post #22 of 22 (366 views)
Shortcut
Music, up!! [In reply to] Can't Post

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9elc4TmZxanRjd0E/view

Who needs dialogue when you have Shore's incredible score!! Back to silent films, everybody!!!!
Well, almost...
Wouldn't want to loose the vocal impact of Freeman, McKellen, McCoy or Armitage, etc....

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.