Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who Gave the Best Performance in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy?
Poll: Who Gave the Best Performance in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy?
Elijah Wood 3 / 5%
Ian McKellan 18 / 29%
Viggo Mortensen 10 / 16%
Sean Astin 8 / 13%
Liv Tyler 1 / 2%
Billy Boyd 0 / 0%
Dominic Monghan 0 / 0%
Sean Bean 4 / 6%
John Rhy-Davies 0 / 0%
Orlando Bloom 1 / 2%
Ian Holm 2 / 3%
Hugo Weaving 1 / 2%
Cate Blanchett 0 / 0%
Christopher Lee 1 / 2%
John Noble 0 / 0%
Karl Urban 0 / 0%
Mirando Otto 0 / 0%
David Wenham 0 / 0%
Bernard Hill 4 / 6%
Andy Serkis 10 / 16%
Lawrence Makoare 0 / 0%
63 total votes

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 31 2014, 7:05pm

Post #1 of 12 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Who Gave the Best Performance in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy? Can't Post

Pretty straightforward question I think Wink

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 31 2014, 7:38pm

Post #2 of 12 (1103 views)
Shortcut
They got an "ensemble" award, which was appropriate. [In reply to] Can't Post

So many great performances! I voted for Sean Astin, because I think his was consistently the best over the whole trilogy, but Sean Bean would have my vote as best "supporting actor" in FotR, and Bernard Hill in TTT. Of course McKellan and Wood were uniformly superb as well.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 31 2014, 7:41pm

Post #3 of 12 (1111 views)
Shortcut
My votes: [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR:Ian McKellen
TTT:Bernard Hill
ROTK:Sean Austin

I voted for Bernard Hill because "The Horse and the Rider" is my favourite scene of the entire trilogy.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 31 2014, 8:04pm

Post #4 of 12 (1101 views)
Shortcut
My vote [In reply to] Can't Post

goes to Christopher Lee. I cannot imagine anyone else as Saruman - his portrayal captivated me. Even after all the terrible things Saruman does, I still feel pity for him because he was clearly once so noble and good, and was only overcome by his own pride and Sauron, which Lee's performance in hinted at in LOTR before revealing his turn.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 31 2014, 8:36pm

Post #5 of 12 (1141 views)
Shortcut
I voted for Hill as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Honorable mentions: Ian McKellen, Sean Astin, Andy Serkis and Brad Dourif (not in the list).

Annael
Immortal

Nov 1 2014, 3:41pm

Post #6 of 12 (1163 views)
Shortcut
It's very hard to pick one. [In reply to] Can't Post

While just about every actor had at least one shining moment, I do think experience told: I loved the work of both Sir Ians and Bernard Hill. In the end though I had to give the nod to Sean Bean for bringing Boromir's innate nobility and innate weakness so beautifully, yet subtly, to life. Boromir doesn't get a lot of book time so to flesh out that character took serious chops.

I am looking forward to the day when Bean is no longer cast in action roles and instead gets to play characters. In "Legends" he gets to play roles within the main role, and my favorite so far is when he took on the "legend" of a freewheeling and charming older journalist who helps a woman crusading for women's rights in Saudi Arabia. I can see him going the way of Christopher Plummer, career-wise.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Nov 2 2014, 6:24pm

Post #7 of 12 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Ah, Wormtongue! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was worried I was forgetting somebody with a list of that size! He definitely deserves to be up there!

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 3 2014, 10:34am

Post #8 of 12 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

FotR - McKellen/Bean
TTT - Hill
RotK - Hill/Noble

Three movies that show why we need more Ensemble Awards...

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 3 2014, 10:34am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 3 2014, 9:54pm

Post #9 of 12 (1002 views)
Shortcut
It mustn't ask us! [In reply to] Can't Post

But since you did, I voted for Andy Serkis. It was pretty hard to choose, though.

joec_34
Rivendell

Nov 5 2014, 5:11pm

Post #10 of 12 (988 views)
Shortcut
Serkis [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a tough one! Viggo, both Ian's and Christopher Lee were exceptional as well. Gollum seems to me to be the most difficult job of the lot, so he gets my vote!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2014, 9:39am

Post #11 of 12 (984 views)
Shortcut
Such a tough one. [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted Ian McKellan, because his Gandalf gave Fellowship so much heart and warmth, which was so instrumental in pulling my skeptical mind into the first film that first time.

But if i really think about it, the crowning achievement of LotR just has to be Gollum. I still choke up every time i see that third eagle swoop in looking for Gollum after the other two had already picked up Sam and Frodo. To me that says volumes about what Andy Serkis brought to that character. Especially considering how, through sheer force of will, he made the entire production re-think every aspect of how the character would be brought to life, after being hired essentially as a voice actor.

Also, Fellowship's ending would not have been nearly as perfect if it hadn't been for Sean Bean's subtle and nuanced performance as Boromir.

And Liv Tyler's entrance as Arwen, with her conviction and resonance and depth and grace, was the moment that i knew i loved that film.

And Christoper Lee, and Billy Boyd, and Bernard Hill, and Cate Blanchett, and...

Patty
Immortal

Nov 18 2014, 8:04pm

Post #12 of 12 (992 views)
Shortcut
Oh good. I'm glad to see I'm not the ONLY person who voted for Elijah... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wish I could have been allowed two. Ian McKellan would have been my second choice for sure. But Elijah (and Sean) carried the weight of the whole movie, and didn't disappoint.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.