The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Ladies - Thorin has shaved the beard!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 31 2014, 5:14pm

Post #1 of 18 (1240 views)
Shortcut
Ladies - Thorin has shaved the beard! Can't Post

Looks like Richard Armitage will attend the London premier without the beard he wore in "The Crucible." I also assume he's through filming "Sleepwalker," though I suppose he could grow it back. Normally I don't care for beards, but HE is the exception! Still, I like him better clean-shaven, what do you think? Beard or No Beard, that is the question!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 31 2014, 6:00pm

Post #2 of 18 (706 views)
Shortcut
Beard definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it is not comfortable? but hope he has a beard for premiere - just that little bit more of Thorin - tho those dazzling eyes and voice and charisma are there, always....HeartHeartHeart

(And I wish RA is the kind of person, or contractually able to, tell WB that no full Company, no RA at premier. Not saying RA SHOULD do this, but it's a nice fantasy - also a nice fantasy that PJ would step in....FrownFrownFrown - sorry I just can't stand it, thinking of Aidan Turner without Dan beside him at a moment like that, and Jeb, and even worse thinking does WB thinking mean something negative for dwarf time re BOFA???FrownFrownFrown

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 31 2014, 6:28pm

Post #3 of 18 (645 views)
Shortcut
Must agree with you on that [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe it's "budget," so much as wanting to pass the buck, so to speak. It's a really lousy, cheap thing for WB to do, IMO. Kili without Fili, honestly!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 12:10am

Post #4 of 18 (549 views)
Shortcut
Stubble [In reply to] Can't Post

He's one of the few that actually looks good that way. So many of the guys that try to pull it off look like winos to me.

I vote stubble.

BlushCool

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 1 2014, 3:56am

Post #5 of 18 (527 views)
Shortcut
I like him clean-shaven, stubbled or with beard [In reply to] Can't Post

but I do so wish he would grow his hair longer again. (*sigh*)

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

Iris70
The Shire

Nov 1 2014, 9:41am

Post #6 of 18 (498 views)
Shortcut
To beard or not to beard.... that is the question.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I fell in love with Richard Armitage when he didn't have a beard, but in the past months I got so used to and fond of it that yesterday morning I had a shock when I saw him sporting only a stubble.... Yes, it's true, he looks younger and nicer (I admit that the beard made him look older and ... more threatening?..) but I also think he was extremely sexy . But that's all in the past. We have a film (Sleepwalker), a play (The Crucible on Screen), an interview (the one with Luke Evans in London) and some pics (Jay Brooks's and Sarah Dunn's) to be released yet, which can remind us how GORGEOUS he looked with that "facial hair"...

Anyway, luckily he is such a handsome man that his stubble suits him magnificently (not everybody can wear stubble with elegant outfits, mind you!) Heart

On a different note, about the Kiwi Dwarves not going to London, I heard somewhere that some of the Warner Executives are "followers" of Rand's ideas.... so I'm wondering... wasn't Richard telling us something when he wrote his tweets yesterday? I like to think so Wink

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 11:57am

Post #7 of 18 (487 views)
Shortcut
Nah, just looks sloppy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent much of the LotR movies wondering how Aragorn could wander around Middle Earth for months with a 3-day stubble. Well, not on the first viewing. Or the second. But I did wonder.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 1 2014, 12:25pm

Post #8 of 18 (478 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree, Grey Elf [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks pretty darn good no matter what Smile

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Nov 1 2014, 1:45pm

Post #9 of 18 (474 views)
Shortcut
Beard [In reply to] Can't Post

Not every man can pull one off, but those who do, it accentuates the eyes etc. Richard wore it very well.

Definitely prefer him with a beard.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 2:39pm

Post #10 of 18 (475 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry I thought we were talking about an actor [In reply to] Can't Post

not a character who is supposed to look road weary.

Some actors do look sloppy, but I don't think RA does. When Brethil and I got to see him up close he really did manage to pull it off and still look well-groomed.

But then that just my personal preference.

Of course if I had to choose between seeing him live in The Crucible (or almost any other play) in a beard, or clean-shaven, and not seeing the play and looking at a picture of Stubbly Richard, I'd pick the play. I'm not picky at all. Cool

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 1 2014, 5:21pm

Post #11 of 18 (455 views)
Shortcut
perhaps because he shaved with his knife? [In reply to] Can't Post

A knife isn't likely to get a close shaven look, but rather more like stubble. That's probably why Aragorn ended up with stubble beard the whole time on the quest Smile

Kim
Valinor

Nov 1 2014, 6:18pm

Post #12 of 18 (460 views)
Shortcut
No Beard [In reply to] Can't Post

I do prefer the clean shaven look myself, although the stubble is ok too. Wink

So yes, the filming on Sleepwalker is done, this photo was taken the day after they wrapped, so he didn't waste any time. Also, slightly OT, but I saw that Urban and the Shed Crew is being submitted for the Cannes Film Festival. So, 2 apparently small indie movies for us to keep an eye out for.

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Kim
Valinor

Nov 1 2014, 6:21pm

Post #13 of 18 (456 views)
Shortcut
Not to worry Grey Elf [In reply to] Can't Post

He seems to wear his hair short when he has a beard. Now that he's shaved it off, I predict he'll start growing out his hair again. Should be longer for the premieres - perhaps Wellington AUJ premiere length. Smile

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Nov 2 2014, 4:42am

Post #14 of 18 (446 views)
Shortcut
I enjoy seeing RA clean shaven or with full beard [In reply to] Can't Post

He's one of the few men I think looks FABulous with a beard. I generally detest the fashion trend of the past several years where male actors feel it necessary to have a stubble. (Maybe it's in their contract?) I suppose it's supposed to make them look manly and cool. I think it just makes them look sloppy and lacking in personal hygiene.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Annael
Immortal

Nov 2 2014, 2:58pm

Post #15 of 18 (430 views)
Shortcut
count me in on the 3-day stubble fan list [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like full beards; I like to see a man's face! But I also find stubble very sexy.

Sadly, not so much fun to kiss.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 2 2014, 4:40pm

Post #16 of 18 (437 views)
Shortcut
*nods* Stubble fan since Indiana Jones first graced the screen with his. [In reply to] Can't Post

Until then, I had missed the appeal of Harrison Ford as Han Solo, so I went back and took another look. Bye-bye Luke Babyface! Hel-looo, Snarkypants! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2014, 3:19pm

Post #17 of 18 (392 views)
Shortcut
Well ladies (and interested gents) [In reply to] Can't Post

Latest tweet for the 10th anniversary of N&S it looks like the beard is back. Cool

Not that I follow this stuff very closely... at all... much... Blush

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 15 2014, 1:07am

Post #18 of 18 (395 views)
Shortcut
Looks like [In reply to] Can't Post

he's still got that checked shirt from last week's photoshoot. Nice to see he's letting his hair grow out.

Did you see that twitter exchange between him and Evangeline Lilly? LOL!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.