Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Warner Bros. not taking the Kiwi dwarves to the London world premiere of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Oct 31 2014, 4:43pm

Post #51 of 70 (645 views)
Shortcut
Future damage [In reply to] Can't Post

After Christopher Tolkien, what if the Tolkien estate decided to let loose, the Silmarillion, Children of Hurin or the entire collective works to make Middle Earth movies in? If I were the representative of the Estate tasked with selling those rights, WB would be the last person I would take it too. Likewise, if I was the next JK Rowling and had a huge book following and was thinking of selling the rights, WB would be last on the list. I am sure most of those deals are now structured with as much back end revenue as front end and I would rather have a company with big picture CEO like Bob Iger of Disney handle my intellectual property than a spreadsheet thinker like the WB CEO.

Scorchster
Rivendell

Oct 31 2014, 4:48pm

Post #52 of 70 (632 views)
Shortcut
Utterly ridiculous! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm absolutely outraged by this! Whatever is WB thinking?!

leonmuse
Rivendell

Oct 31 2014, 4:51pm

Post #53 of 70 (626 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much for supporting my idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was my initial point about fundraising!

It's not about the money (who has it or how much), it is about the final reunion of all the cast! I may be daydreaming, but let's assume 200 thousand fans fund 1 dollar.

200 thousand dollars! And is not 2k dollars enough to help these amazing guys?

One can't simply think doing nothing just because who has the money doesn't want to take action... But that's it. I hope someone finds a solution, because these actors (being able to afford the trip on their own or not) deserve our love. They do. Warner Bros can go to Morgoth's pits!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 31 2014, 5:07pm

Post #54 of 70 (639 views)
Shortcut
Go to...Copy this Location...on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

Warner Bros - Invite The Kiwi Dwarves To The World Premiere of The Hobbit

On FBook...LOG a Protest

bomby jus' did..
YOU can too...

there is Evil in LA"

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Oct 31 2014, 5:09pm)

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Oct 31 2014, 5:15pm

Post #55 of 70 (610 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand the frustration of trying to make a message heard :)

Also, one thing I have learned regarding Hollywood politics is that anything can be used as an expense against a movie's profitability. So, WB can cite future production costs of the DVDs/BluRays, as well as future marketing, staffing, etc as expenses against profitability of the Hobbit films.

As a quick example, an actor in Star Wars was once told that the movies had yet to make a profit. Of course, how can that be? Well, they put any future expense against the profit of the film, adding it to the cost of the film, and reducing profit margins.

My point is, that WB can find any excuse in the world to not spend money. The purpose of the fundraiser campaign isn't to stick it to WB. You want to do that, don't purchase anything Hobbit related. The purpose of the fundraiser is to bring the whole Company together for a last celebration of their accomplishment.

We only have a month. I don't think that is enough time to convince WB to change their minds.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 31 2014, 5:23pm

Post #56 of 70 (610 views)
Shortcut
"I don't think that is enough time" [In reply to] Can't Post

oh... I think if the blowback was strong enough, they'd change their mind in a heartbeat.

It has to be large and it has to be public.

I looked around. One can't see (I don't think) what people tweet *to* WB but if there was a campaign to tweet about this with a hashtag... that might make a difference.

It also doesn't look like it's easy to leave a message (that's visible on publicly) on Facebook. I don't know how to spread stuff on Facebook (not on). But savvy FB-ers might.

But unless the word gets out and LOTS of public stink is made (not just outrage from a small cadre of 'fans').. WB won't be moved.

petitions... won't work. letters to WB, I don't think will work.

We had a principal from hades at a school I worked at and all the little private meetings people had with administration were for nought.

Then we had a significant event that caused a 'meeting' to be called. After that meeting, people lined up to talk with the admins present about the principal. And opinions were unleashed in front of everyone standing around.

I left that meeting thinking a major shift had just happened. The loud complaints had been made publicly... not privately behind closed doors.

I came to work the next morning to be called into a school wide meeting. The principal was making a personal decision to leave his position effective immediately.

nuff said.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 31 2014, 5:27pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Oct 31 2014, 5:54pm

Post #57 of 70 (609 views)
Shortcut
Is this some perverse publicity stunt by Warners? It is simply too bizarre. [In reply to] Can't Post

"The fans are already annoyed with us. Let's use that! We'll put it out that we're not sending the Kiwi dwarves. "

Can't you see some advertising exec coming out with this idea at lunch one day? There's a momentary silence as the idea's ramifications sink in.

"Brilliant," says someone, in quiet awe.

leonmuse
Rivendell

Oct 31 2014, 6:04pm

Post #58 of 70 (567 views)
Shortcut
ONE MONTH TO GO [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, we have barely a month, considering the actors need to know about the possible fundraise beforehand (to make sure they're ok with the idea) and to make arrangements for the trip.

So, if anything is to be done, it needs to be right know, within days.

I agree that it will be needed to me made public, via Twitter hashtag, i guess! But i'm not an active Twitter user so i don't know how much it could help. But it would help.

Like #fundhobbitkiwi or something like that!

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 31 2014, 6:08pm

Post #59 of 70 (563 views)
Shortcut
Good [In reply to] Can't Post

And if I owned WB stock I would dump it, I'd be too nervous about a movie studio so completely out of touch with the very consumers it is making money off of.Unimpressed

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 31 2014, 6:10pm

Post #60 of 70 (578 views)
Shortcut
Sad but true...(and ROFLOL but *sob*) [In reply to] Can't Post

"The fans are already annoyed with us. Let's use that! We'll put it out that we're not sending the Kiwi dwarves. "

Can't you see some advertising exec coming out with this idea at lunch one day? There's a momentary silence as the idea's ramifications sink in.

"Brilliant," says someone, in quiet awe

Where is the Dilbert cartoonist?

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Oct 31 2014, 6:12pm

Post #61 of 70 (550 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

If I was on the fence about whether to go and see a movie at the theater and there are usually dozens a year that fall into that category for me, the WB tag would be a deciding no factor for me at this point.

Lissuin
Valinor

Oct 31 2014, 6:28pm

Post #62 of 70 (549 views)
Shortcut
I wanted to edit but time ran out. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is too hard for me to stomach the idea that people could be so cold as to deliberately hurt these hard-working actors, and by extension everyone in New Zealand including the film-makers, by first telling them they can't go to the ball but then later saying "Warner Brothers has listened to the public, and due to the heart-warming appeal by the fans you can go, guys!" This idea just makes me ill inside.

I would really hope it is a short-sighted attempt to save dollars. Really short-sighted.

How bizarre. How bizarre.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 31 2014, 6:37pm

Post #63 of 70 (546 views)
Shortcut
to be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm reminded of some of the boneheaded things Bob Shaye did and said in his last months of tenure at NewLine. Ca-razy!

There just doesn't seem to be any 'plus' on this decision for WB. They might say the 'plus' is saving money but really? I honestly can't believe that some budget got balanced with the money they are 'saving' and I can't believe any money saved weighed against the taint this puts on them is worth the savings.

And I'm someone who tends to be totally realistic about marketing and the goals of marketing. They don't market to please people. They market to make money.

But this just doesn't seem to be a 'money making' move on their part.

Frankly, I can only describe what it seems like in non-family-friendly language.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Oct 31 2014, 6:46pm

Post #64 of 70 (551 views)
Shortcut
Stephen Cobert [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the fans or TORN should enlist his aid if possible for getting them to the Premiere. He definitely could reach the most people and quickly if he was so inclined.

Noria
Gondor

Oct 31 2014, 8:37pm

Post #65 of 70 (474 views)
Shortcut
This is a real shame. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if WB has decided that they already have captured all the audience they are going to get for TBOTFA and will spend as little as they can get away with from here on.

Which talk show is Stephen Colbert taking over? Is it The Tonight Show? Who owns the network? If it’s Time Warner, forget about it.

Speaking of Colbert, did any of the other Canadians on the board see his apology to Canada after the events of last week? Very funny, very nice.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 31 2014, 8:50pm

Post #66 of 70 (448 views)
Shortcut
Colbert is going to the Late Show on CBS // [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 31 2014, 9:11pm

Post #67 of 70 (426 views)
Shortcut
You bet! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's not like I'll forget something like this - I LIKE these guys - as much as you can like people you have never met - how hard they worked, and the sacrifices and the LONG hours and most of all, how would ANY of us feel in their shoes? AND these are the HOBBIT films, not LOTR - its the end of the HOBBIT trilogy! It gets me so mad thinking WB execs and families will be there, probably fly in on their own chartered jet...MadMadMad

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 31 2014, 9:15pm

Post #68 of 70 (424 views)
Shortcut
this may help (started a new thread above this one) [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.crowdrise.com/getthehobbitkiwiactorstolondon/fundraiser/amandalongpre

Those guys started it together- they should end it together!

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 31 2014, 9:20pm

Post #69 of 70 (435 views)
Shortcut
This is the kind of company Warner Brothers is [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.slashfilm.com/insane-studio-accounting-warner-bros-claims-167-million-loss-over-harry-potter-and-the-order-of-the-phoenix/

If this is true, then we should just be grateful that this charity organisation continues to make films for us - for the sheer love of it, clearly.

Hollywood Studio executives all live in broken down shacks, and scavenge food from bins, just so they can continue with their great public works.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

(This post was edited by Bumblingidiot on Oct 31 2014, 9:24pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 1 2014, 12:16am

Post #70 of 70 (378 views)
Shortcut
*nods head* [In reply to] Can't Post

The token few people very rarely permitted to speak out against a certain proposed plan at the meetings of one township in my area were always dismissed as a very small minority. People were discussing it everywhere for months, and no one ever seemed to find anybody who was in favor of it, yet the elected leaders continually swore that they were doing what the public wanted. The general public wasn't buying it. Unofficial public opinion held that the project, as proposed, was both unnecessary and very undesirable, and would be of the greate$t benefit to a $elect few landowner$...mainly, one of the board members and his family! Joe Public felt like he had no voice. So the most local newspaper got involved. They conducted a poll -- with thousands of local residents, area residents, former residents, and frequent visitors identifying themselves as such on their ballots -- with results to be published just hours before the meeting where the final plan was to be announced......And there it was, as plain as plain, right on the front page of the newspaper. That pie chart was almost completely solid against the proposed project! The elected ones could maintain the farce no longer. The people had spoken. Unmistakably.

Yep, sometimes it really does take a very public shaming to get results!

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.