Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Why Just Sauron - Won't Saruman Be Enough?

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Oct 29 2014, 11:21am

Post #1 of 7 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Why Just Sauron - Won't Saruman Be Enough? Can't Post

Many are familiar with the appendices that mentioned that Lorien was assailed 3 times yet it all failed, and Tolkien accredited the power (Galadriel) was far too great for any to overcome, unless Sauron came there himself (without the Ring I am not sure how successful he would be, or if it will make a difference or not). Hence, since Tolkien was quite specific that Galadriel will be the power to overcome there, aside from the army of Elves (and Celeborn; he is not push over after all). I would only imagine that Galadriel will use whatever she learned from the Valar in hear early days and from Melian to give her army a tactical advance (including the use of her mirror, as sometimes she can command what she wants to see). This could involve controlling the elements (water, wind (mist), maybe even fire or various enchantments, etc. Hence, Sauron will be needed to counter such enchants and overpower Galadriel. However, couldn't have Saruman - since he has turned evil and is no longer under any restrictions to resist Sauron (since he joined him now), over power Galadriel when it comes to lore, etc. even if he did not possess the one ring? Restricted or not, he is still an Istari, after all. Of course, Sarumans priorities (or orders were different), but I'm just curious.

I understand that some may say that the armies that attacked it were too small so eventually Lorien could be overrun regardless of what Tolkien stated otherwise, unless Tolkien meant, unless Sauron, or Saruman (or Gandalf or anyone who came there with the One Ring..lol).

Thank you!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 29 2014, 6:31pm

Post #2 of 7 (761 views)
Shortcut
Saruman failed to overcome Helm's Deep. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was defended only by Men (and one Elf and one Dwarf). Gandalf's main contribution was rounding up more Men. So, whatever abilities Saruman had, they were inadequate to that task and would certainly have been inadequate to take on Galadriel. Among her other strengths, Galadriel was able to use her Ring to preserve and protect her realm.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Oct 29 2014, 6:37pm)

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Oct 30 2014, 9:13am

Post #3 of 7 (719 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Elizabeth... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I may have confused it with the movie....as in the movie Saruman used some enchantments to bring down the mountain, so I thought it would be well within his power to do something that Luthien did to Helm's Deep, and I don't even remember if he was actually there (he wasn't as I presumed he was in Isengard when the Ents attacked).

Matthias132
The Shire

Nov 4 2014, 11:05pm

Post #4 of 7 (691 views)
Shortcut
Saruman's strength [In reply to] Can't Post

If Saruman could not stop the ents, or take helms deep, then there is no way he would have been able to take the wood of Lothlorien. The place was full of twists, turns, and very easy to hold guerilla warfare. Even if his sorcery was powerful, it would not have matched Galadriel's ring, knowledge, or power in general.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.Courage is found in unlikely places - J.R.R. Tolkien (Gildor)

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Nov 6 2014, 2:11pm

Post #5 of 7 (626 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for response, Matthias132... [In reply to] Can't Post

A little confused...Saruman was the head of Istari and the White Council....obviously Galadriel though it was wise than Istari lead the White Council.

Also, I thought the 3 Elven Rings were not used for warfare, could Galadriel really have used to to ward of evil and how? I mean, during the attack, the borders of the forest were harmed quite badly, so I'm not sure what Galadriel could have done with the Ring of Nenya...she knows lore so she can raise the river, etc., but Saruman and Gandalf would know such lores as well, having been part of the creation of the universe...and Gandalf used his full powers to defeat the Balrog with no restrictions...why can't Saruman...I guess only Tolkien knows..lol

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 6 2014, 10:41pm

Post #6 of 7 (636 views)
Shortcut
The balrog was, perhaps, a legiimate target... [In reply to] Can't Post

because he was apparently a lone agent, and not affiliated directly with Sauron and part of the war effort.

in any case, by the time the attack on Lorien was launched, Saruman had been "defrocked" and his power much diminished.

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Nov 7 2014, 9:12am

Post #7 of 7 (692 views)
Shortcut
Yes.. [In reply to] Can't Post

That much is true, Elizabeth.. thank you..

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.