Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why Thrain was brought to Dol Guldur and tortured?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

xxxyyy
Rohan

Oct 26 2014, 3:14am

Post #26 of 33 (311 views)
Shortcut
I'm happy with that. The Balrog... [In reply to] Can't Post

and hence the light coming from it, should not be visible through the gate. The Barog should dwell in the deep of Moria, like a legend of old times.
When Balin decides to go back to Moria, Gandalf should warn him about that, but just a warning. Otherwise even the battle of Azanulbizar would have been pretty useless, I mean... even if the dwarves had won, if there was a Balrog right around the corner, they just couldn't have enetered.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2014, 3:55am

Post #27 of 33 (305 views)
Shortcut
Yes for 1st point, no for 2nd one!... [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

leonmuse
Rivendell

Oct 26 2014, 4:01am

Post #28 of 33 (308 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry, but i must disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Who said the Balrog is a servant of Sauron? Last I checked, it (the Balrog) was as independent as Smaug was.

If the Balrog of Moria serves someone it's not Sauron but Morgoth himself, or makes sure his will continues to be carried out through it.

Maybe i'm completely wrong, and if so, I apologize!

(This post was edited by leonmuse on Oct 26 2014, 4:07am)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2014, 3:10pm

Post #29 of 33 (267 views)
Shortcut
No, I think you are right... [In reply to] Can't Post

Durin's Bane would not have been a servant of Sauron, although it might be possible that Sauron could gain his allegiance, being Melkor's right-hand as he was (and the current embodiment of evil in Middle-earth). I think that the Balrog would most likely be well-aware of who Sauron was if contact were ever made between the two. Of course, this is all just hypothetical, since nothing was ever written regarding a direct relationship between the Balrogs and Sauron.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Oct 26 2014, 3:17pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2014, 3:15pm

Post #30 of 33 (266 views)
Shortcut
In a way, yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Balrog would never give a flying toss about Azog declaring himself the ruler of Moria, however I don't think the Balrog was much interested in "ruling" over the Orcs that occupied the mines. I always kind of pictured it as "You Orcs can stay here and play your little games, as long as you stay out of my way".

leonmuse
Rivendell

Oct 26 2014, 3:31pm

Post #31 of 33 (261 views)
Shortcut
Stay outta my way! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly what I have always thought too!

For the record, I've created a thread "Balrog of Moria" at the Reading Room, so if anyone's interested let's discuss it over there!

Cheers!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 26 2014, 4:34pm

Post #32 of 33 (263 views)
Shortcut
Not the map and key... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why does Sauron need the map and the key if he... (DOS EE SPOILER) is already in league with the dragon? Why would Sauron want to open this tiny little door? And I'm not pretty sure either if Sauron would have been able to read that map. I imagine that Elrond, Galadriel perhaps Saruman or Thranduil would have been able to read that but Sauron?

Sauron did not need the map or key. What he did need is the Dwarven Ring of Power possessed by Thrain. He didn't necessarily even know about the Secret Door.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Yngwulff
Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 2:45am

Post #33 of 33 (247 views)
Shortcut
Thats why ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Changes from the Books to the movie make things kinda up in the air. In the Book/appendices under the dwarves section iirc Dain or Thrain peers in the gate and either see him or senses the balrogs evil and was dissuaded from entering at that time?

But I think what you said was more correct that the balrog, while not necesarily automatically subserviant to sauron, could easily be persuaded to align with him through contact with the orcs/azog. Between the balrog and smaug thats some serious bad guys stacking up potentially. Note that even Gandalf in LOTR while aware that Durins Banes existed was unaware that it was actually a balrog. Later on as Balin was actually a noble/lord in the line of the house of Durin had a legit claim to retake and rule Moria if his venture had been successful ... it actually baffles me why he went there depite knowing that Durins Banes existed at the time of the Battle of Azanzulzubar(sp?).

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.