Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Anyone else having trouble watching the Appendices?

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Oct 24 2014, 8:06pm

Post #1 of 12 (725 views)
Shortcut
Anyone else having trouble watching the Appendices? Can't Post

Hey guys, so I downloaded the EE on Tuesday and have since then watched the introduction to the appendices section, accessible from the main menu when you load the film up. However, I logged back in today to watch some more and I couldn't get onto it anywhere! It just kept taking me straight to the start of the film instead of the main menu. Anyone else having any similar problems? (I have updated to the latest Itunes version btw)

Thranderz
Rohan

Oct 24 2014, 8:12pm

Post #2 of 12 (348 views)
Shortcut
Have you tried [In reply to] Can't Post

clicking the blue "iTunes Extras" icon? I didn't know that was a button until yesterday. Boots it straight to main menu every time.

I simply walked into Mordor.

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Oct 24 2014, 8:20pm

Post #3 of 12 (315 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

I no longer have it on my film menu :( It literally just has the film, even though I paid for the HD version...

Thranderz
Rohan

Oct 24 2014, 8:27pm

Post #4 of 12 (302 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I had this struggle at first also, but that did it for me. Erm try restarting itunes and your pc? If that doesn't work I'd definitely complain to Apple.

I simply walked into Mordor.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Oct 24 2014, 8:29pm

Post #5 of 12 (305 views)
Shortcut
My advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Is to delete the film, and redownload it from the purchased section of itunes (make sure you download the HD version, as extras aren't included with SD).

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 24 2014, 9:00pm

Post #6 of 12 (289 views)
Shortcut
Yes - there was an earlier thread where I complained [In reply to] Can't Post

Basically, after wandering the 'net, it may not be you - if you Google "itunes extras won't work" it should take you to the "community" where you can see a bunch of complaints back to 2011 at least. One suggestion I tried that seems to work for some is to make sure the "streaming database files" - called extra.idb or SOMETHING like that - are in the same subfolder as the downloaded film. On my system they load to different directories.

Which didn't work anywayFrown - finally went to Itunes store as filed a complaint re a defective product (after re-downloading I-tunes and messing with everything I could think of.) Will say I got a response which I haven't tried yet, but anyway I am glad I was going to order the Collector's disk set anyway. I have a Windows 8 system, don't know if the Mac users are having problems or not. I still haven't seen the AppendicesFrown, the blue icon never worked - at least you got farther than I did, even if stuff vanished later. The bumping back to the film beginning was happening to me as well.

Itunes response:

I have posted a fresh new download of this movie to your account to see if this will resolve the issue. If not, kindly let me know and I will arrange a refund for you.

Please follow these steps to initiate the download:

1) Make sure you're using the latest version of iTunes. It can be downloaded free of charge from the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download

Note: Installing the latest version of iTunes will not affect your library or any items in your account that you haven't downloaded.

2) From the Store menu at the top, choose Check for Available Downloads

3) Enter your account name and password, then click the Check button.

The item(s) should begin downloading and appear in your library. If you receive an error message while downloading, try again after turning off any firewall or web-accelerator software that you may have installed. If the download process is interrupted for any reason, it should resume once you reopen iTunes. If you need help with this, visit:

iTunes: How to resume interrupted iTunes Store downloads
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1725

I hope that this will work once you received new download. Should difficulty arise,
etc.....Unimpressed

So I will see - at least I got a response.Unsure

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

(This post was edited by Avandel on Oct 24 2014, 9:05pm)

Bofur01
Lorien

Oct 24 2014, 9:01pm

Post #7 of 12 (268 views)
Shortcut
Were you connected to the Internet? [In reply to] Can't Post

As when I hadn't yet connected to wifi yet, it just played the film instead.

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 26 2014, 8:43pm

Post #8 of 12 (124 views)
Shortcut
I tried helping you, but you never responded. [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel, I replied to that thread days ago, even spending an hour trying to get my Windows copy of iTunes up and running so I could help you watch your extras... but you never responded. I spent my entire lunch hour trying to figure out your problem, so that was pretty disappointing.

The Blue Icon has nothing to do with how you access your extras, it just denotes extras are included. All you have to do is hit play on the film, then the menu shoud come up that has the door of Beorn's house, along with options including play, extras, and options/sound. If that doesn't happen for you, then yes, you should do what your itunes rep says and delete and redownload your file. There's no reason the extras shouldn't show up. Additionally, that thread from 2011 will have absolutely no bearing on your problems, because iTunes extras in 2014 do not sit on your hard drive, so it doesn't matter where you move DB files to.

Good luck... Hope you get it working.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 26 2014, 8:59pm

Post #9 of 12 (121 views)
Shortcut
??? If I missed a post or PM am so sorry! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aaagh I am on board often enough - and I REALLY appreciate you trying to help! - because as you describe - well, WHAT you describe wasn't there. If I hit play on the film, the film plays, but there is no other menu, option, anything.

So as I type this, I have just started doing what the rep described - e.g. redownloading. There's a bar that said "3 hours" remaining which has jumped to "4 hours remaining" which I don't know if it just my connection or am I getting the files I need - which I hope.

And again, wish I had not missed your response - PM are good also 'coz right now this board is just moving so fast. But I will post back here If I have success tho now I worry re other poster's comments that it will work for a while re streaming, then not. I just want my disks at this point....Unsure

Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 9:01pm

Post #10 of 12 (118 views)
Shortcut
3-4 hours [In reply to] Can't Post

remaining was in my bar too during downloading 5 days ago Avandel.No need to worry.At some point it will change and go faster.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 26 2014, 9:11pm

Post #11 of 12 (114 views)
Shortcut
*grins* [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, if it is going to take that long (again) I am going to go do something else for a while - but thank you for the reassurance - and I hope these "streaming files" or database is stable. But will say the movie runs fine, no problems.Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 27 2014, 1:23am

Post #12 of 12 (104 views)
Shortcut
Bummer - Necromancer and nusilver [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I am not seeing anything like nusilver described after reloading a copy of the film provided by Itunes support:

Once it loads up, you should see the menu screen of the film (with Bag End behind it), an option to play on the left, an option for special features in the middle, and an option for audio choices on the right. If that's not showing up, I'd suggest deleting your download, emptying it from your recycle bin, and then starting the download again.

I reduced the screen for this screen shot, but at full screen it's the same. So that's 3 downloads and nope.

Thank you for trying to help - as I understand itunes is some sort of overlay? for Quicktime and IMO this should NOT be that difficult. So I will check back but failing that will ask for refund - just happy I want the collector edition anyway. Will check back at this thread in case someone notes something but ????? The only other think I can think of is an HDCP issue - but I am fed up and way out of my level of expertise.

FrownFrownFrown

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.