Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
An interesting quote by John Howe (POTENTIAL SPOILER)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 3:20pm

Post #1 of 18 (2054 views)
Shortcut
An interesting quote by John Howe (POTENTIAL SPOILER) Can't Post

"The relationship between Tauriel and Kili,says John Howe,is like one of those love stories where people think they are falling in love when,in fact,they are actually falling out of love with everything else around them,and the only sympathetic face is someone who they would never choose in any other circumstance...So it's a kind of "almost love story" with the potential to be tragically moving".

http://site.douban.com/...1959/note/436412956/

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Oct 23 2014, 3:22pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 3:24pm

Post #2 of 18 (1126 views)
Shortcut
This has been apparent [In reply to] Can't Post

since the beginning IMO...which always makes me question why people insist on getting so worked up about it.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 3:27pm

Post #3 of 18 (1071 views)
Shortcut
It was always pretty obvious to me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

But there have been numerous cases here on TORN where this "relationship" was interpreted differently by many folks.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 3:31pm

Post #4 of 18 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Clear [In reply to] Can't Post

I also always thought that to be clear - though I never saw it expressed so well.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 3:36pm

Post #5 of 18 (1059 views)
Shortcut
My only problem about these two [In reply to] Can't Post

was the execution of the Healing Scene. and especially how awful the Elvish language sounded in my ears for the first time.I still cringe a bit at the sound of it even after so many viewings.

I cannot judge this "relationship" in its entirety yet.There is one movie and one EE left for the whole picture.

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Oct 23 2014, 3:46pm)

Farficom
Rivendell

Oct 23 2014, 3:45pm

Post #6 of 18 (1044 views)
Shortcut
I think there is more than just the potential to be tragic. [In reply to] Can't Post

Btw, those are some amazing pics they have on that site.

phij2
Rivendell

Oct 23 2014, 3:50pm

Post #7 of 18 (989 views)
Shortcut
yes the pictures are amazing... [In reply to] Can't Post

it is definetly worth taking a lookSmile

xxxyyy
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 4:59pm

Post #8 of 18 (902 views)
Shortcut
Do I read "the power of the Three" under Elrond image? Am I dreaming? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do we get FINALLY to know something more about the Three?
Really?
I can't believe it...

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 5:02pm

Post #9 of 18 (913 views)
Shortcut
Oh, My! Those pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

are TERRIFIC!!! The Thranduil Thralls will definitely want to see these! Galadriel looks absolutely beautiful! But warning - there are other potential spoilers besides the Kili/Tauriel thing. I think the word John Howe is looking for is "disillusioned." I can definitely see both Kili and Tauriel becoming more disillusioned with their respective leaders. Other observations: It appears that Fili will go charging in on something - a battle ram, perhaps? It also appears that Bard may take out Smaug with a longbow instead of the Windlance. That should make a few of the book purists happy, but it would have to be a REALLY long bow to fire an arrow that is nearly as tall as Bard himself! I am actually trying to avoid spoilers on the DOS EE, since I'll be buying the Blue-Ray with the extras on Nov. 4, but as far as BO5A goes, Spoil Me!!!Wink

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Oct 23 2014, 5:09pm

Post #10 of 18 (871 views)
Shortcut
Healing scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, the healing scene is what ruined the whole thing for me. At first I thought their relationship was something I could live with. The Feast of Starlight scene was pretty good, and everything else before Laketown was fine. But some of the unintentionally funny moments in the healing scene and the "do you think she could have loved me" stuff just sent it over the edge.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2014, 5:49pm

Post #11 of 18 (809 views)
Shortcut
Ugh. [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2014, 6:59pm

Post #12 of 18 (761 views)
Shortcut
Anyone else spot Alfrid in the picture.... [In reply to] Can't Post

of Bard and his kids entering Dale? I know we've seen BTS footage of him running with the refugees from Lake-town. No sign of the Master, though - perhaps he's had his chips by this point!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 8:38pm

Post #13 of 18 (717 views)
Shortcut
People really overdo the "love story" complaint... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate when I see main gripes with DOS and people say "And that elf/dwarf love story" and what have you. Seriously, this little point was hardly prominent in the film, maybe 5 minutes at MOST. And I'd hardly call it a "romance". They talk in the dungeons for like, 2 minutes, about the starlight and moons, and would hardly call it cringe-worthy lovey-dovey stuff as some folk are making it out to be. And then the healing scene, again, a minute at most, and then Kili saying if Tauriel could ever love him when he's still delusional from the healing. And yet people act as if for the whole movie they did nothing but flirt, gaze into each other's eyes longingly, and smooched for the rest of the film. Seriously, wait for this supposed "love story" to play out in BOTFA before you just trash the 5 minutes we get in DOS.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 8:42pm

Post #14 of 18 (684 views)
Shortcut
Ditto! [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree with every single word.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Oct 24 2014, 12:06am

Post #15 of 18 (604 views)
Shortcut
In a small amount of time you can create a big disaster. [In reply to] Can't Post

The talking they do in the doungeons. The problem there<? Legolas looking at them That moment is creepy.
The healing scene then... the look of Tauriel while she "lights up"... oh my God... that's insanely twisted.
Those two moments bring down DOS to the bottom of the 5 films.
IMHO.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 24 2014, 6:50am

Post #16 of 18 (554 views)
Shortcut
Why is Tauriel holding her stomach like that? Is she pregnant with Kili's baby? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 6:59am

Post #17 of 18 (561 views)
Shortcut
Rumour has it [In reply to] Can't Post

that she is carrying twinsCool

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 4:56pm

Post #18 of 18 (484 views)
Shortcut
Holding something in her hand? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe Kili's runestone? Perhaps he gives it to her.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.