Return of the Getting to know you thread
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

smtfhw
Lorien

Oct 24 2014, 10:46am

Post #26 of 50 (666 views)
Shortcut
Ok - I''m in... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. You're running late for a very important date, what's the one thing you absolutely won't leave home without?

Mobile phone.

2. You're having a bad day, what helps to cheer you up (besides heading back to bed and hiding under the covers EvilLaugh)?

Running.

3. Favourite ice-cream flavour?

Of late, salted caramel. Not too bothered by ice cream though.

4. Where's your most favourite place in the world? And which place is still on your "must go to" list?

Vienna. Brazil.

5. What's the naughtiest thing you did as a kid?

Deliberately smashed a vase.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 24 2014, 12:07pm

Post #27 of 50 (661 views)
Shortcut
LOL, and both your parents went prematurely gray, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not quite sure this tale labels you as a junior reprobate though. More like a blossoming Indiana Jones! Wink

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2014, 1:04pm

Post #28 of 50 (663 views)
Shortcut
Well, if you're sure you want to know... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. You're running late for a very important date, what's the one thing you absolutely won't leave home without?
clothing Angelic

2. You're having a bad day, what helps to cheer you up (besides heading back to bed and hiding under the covers EvilLaugh)?

a big ole hug from Mr. RD

Chocolate-chip cookie dough. But I'm amenable to considering other candidates. Bring on the samples!

4. Where's your most favourite place in the world? And which place is still on your "must go to" list?

Home. Still lots of places on my "must go to" list...I haven't traveled all over the world yet! Cool Wales and more of England would be first on my list, though. After that, Hobbiton. Wink

In the house where I grew up (an old farmhouse), my older sister's room was down a long, dark hall. It was great fun to hide around the corner and jump out and scare her. I got in trouble for continuing to do that, and was told not to hide there anymore. So instead I hid under her bed and grabbed her ankles when she sat down. Totally worth my punishment to hear her scream. Evil

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 24 2014, 1:06pm

Post #29 of 50 (652 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Well my Dad was the local traffic cop, so you can imagine how he felt.

And I never mentioned any of the stuff we got up to when I was in high school Laugh

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 24 2014, 1:06pm

Post #30 of 50 (657 views)
Shortcut
OK... [In reply to] Can't Post

Clothing, definitely clothing

Starbucks chai was my daily remedy at my last job, where every day was a bad day! But in general - books, movies, my cats, and, unfortunately, chocolate fudge.

Wow, who has just one favorite flavor?
Jeni's Brown Butter Almond Brittle, Jeni's Riesling Poached Pear Sorbet, Jeni's Ndali Estate Vanilla Bean, Jeni's Savannah Buttermint, Jeni's, Jeni's, Jeni's.... and of course, Ben & Jerry's Mint Chocolate Cookie and Vanilla Toffee Bar Crunch. In a waffle cone, please!

favorite - London, although I haven't been there in many, many years, but it was total love.
must go to - gosh, that's more of a "wish list", and a really long one! Iceland, New Zealand, Antarctica, India are all way up there.

Hmmm, well, the naughty stuff mostly came later.TongueBlush

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 24 2014, 1:10pm

Post #31 of 50 (651 views)
Shortcut
Lol love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like the sort of mischief my 3rd brother and I would get up to Laugh

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2014, 1:25pm

Post #32 of 50 (652 views)
Shortcut
Elarie, we are totally on the same wavelength... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Clothing, definitely clothing

Laugh

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 24 2014, 2:47pm

Post #33 of 50 (676 views)
Shortcut
Late as usual [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I've been working on this, and am hardly ever late any more. Still, if I were running late, and at all other times, I wouldn't leave home without this small hiker's pack thing -- sometimes referred to as my "bag of life" -- which I suppose is like a man purse.

A kiss and a hug (xo)

Chocolate and it's derivatives.

O.o too many in both cases, so I'll just say by the sea and to the mountains (though I have to make it to Wales some day).

Probably got a little sassy with a teacher, or poked a dead guy with a stick.

Thanks Kel!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 24 2014, 2:49pm)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 4:35pm

Post #34 of 50 (654 views)
Shortcut
Okay, I'll ask... [In reply to] Can't Post

Poked a dead guy with a stick? Shocked

Did he pop? EvilTongue

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 24 2014, 7:24pm

Post #35 of 50 (660 views)
Shortcut
Phew... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you were going to ask why I said "Chocolate and it's derivatives" rather than "... its derivatives"; or about the man-purse.

hmmm well I did find a dead guy when I was about 5 years old. He was a shotgun suicide. I thought he was asleep and tried to wake him. No stick was involved. Unsure

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 8:40pm

Post #36 of 50 (644 views)
Shortcut
What a horrible experience [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially at just five. That's terrible. Unsure

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 24 2014, 10:21pm

Post #37 of 50 (639 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

definitely not a warm memory... sorry I mentioned it in an otherwise happy thread. Perhaps GTKY is TMI in this case.

Sorry everybody.
Evil

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 24 2014, 11:52pm

Post #38 of 50 (631 views)
Shortcut
A challenge for the indecisive! [In reply to] Can't Post

I.e. me.

My wallet.

A hug from Mr Kimi.

Chocolate. Or something with berries.

City: Venice. Countryside: I can't choose just one, so I'll bend the rules: South-west France; Fiordland, NZ (heck, most of the South Island); where I live; Eratap Peninsula, Vanuatu.
"One day": Galapagos.

There was a can of red paint. And paintbrushes. And the garage...

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 25 2014, 12:04am

Post #39 of 50 (632 views)
Shortcut
It's okay, SirD. Nothing to forgive. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not replace that unpleasant memory with a bowlful of your favorite scoop? Ice cream has provided me with peace of mind on many an occasion. Smile

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 25 2014, 2:49pm

Post #40 of 50 (605 views)
Shortcut
Aw c'mon Kimi [In reply to] Can't Post

A can of red paint, paintbrushes and a garage... You were just exercising your creative side Angelic

For what it's worth, I'd have been right along side you helping Laugh

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 25 2014, 2:50pm

Post #41 of 50 (603 views)
Shortcut
*ding, ding, ding* we have a winner folks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That snake story is the best! Laugh

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 25 2014, 2:52pm

Post #42 of 50 (600 views)
Shortcut
Nah, you're never late boyo [In reply to] Can't Post

You always turn up right on time Smile

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Oct 25 2014, 5:57pm

Post #43 of 50 (597 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

1 My purse

2 My cat Sooty.She loves to cuddle.

3 Lemon sorbet

4 I've been to so many wonderful places but Hawaii tops the list.I'm going to Maui again next month Smile

5 When my twin sister and I were about 10 we were visiting our grandmother who had a large garden to play in.We were told to stay within the garden but we decided to explore and went through a hedge into the next garden and the one after that......and we found a man slumped on his side, unmoving.The unfortunate man, we found out later, had had a heart attack.We ran back home and told our Mum that we'd found a dead body.She didn't believe us until our older brother checked out our story.We didn't wander off again Shocked

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 25 2014, 7:04pm

Post #44 of 50 (585 views)
Shortcut
Then we could have done twice the "improvement".:) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 25 2014, 8:04pm

Post #45 of 50 (596 views)
Shortcut
First time doing this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope I won't embarrass myself too much. Blush

As two others so humorously put it: clothes, definitely clothes. Don't want to get arrested for streaking, y'know. Wink *snort* Like I would do that.

Hmm... TORn, chocolate, Oakentoons, my favorite books/movies, and yelling at my laptop. The last one is very stress-relieving.

Does sorbet count? I love raspberry sorbet. As for actual ice cream, I can't decide between vanilla and chocolate.

Home is where the heart is, so I'll pick that. Disneyland's a close second. Must see would obviously be NZ, followed by a very long trip to Britain (England, Scotland, Ireland).

Oh dear. Only one? I have a long list. Well, the first one that comes to mind happened when I was about six. I was on the playground at school and a boy grabbed my wrists (can't remember why) in a death grip. I asked him nicely to let me go, then yelled at him (meanwhile, all of my "friends" were helpfully standing off to the side doing nothing), and when that didn't work I kicked him in the shin. He ran off (or perhaps he was limping) crying and told a yard duty. I got "bench-slipped" for the rest of recess. The yard duty didn't even listen to my excuse that I was being held against my will. *shakes head and sighs*

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 26 2014, 6:49am

Post #46 of 50 (609 views)
Shortcut
Oh gosh, no; don't apologize. [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely no need for that.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 29 2014, 9:27pm

Post #47 of 50 (572 views)
Shortcut
Hi there! [In reply to] Can't Post

My answers:
My purse. It is almost always completely packed with everything one could maybe, in case, you never know, need.... yes it is all in there, sometimes even a copy of The Hobbit.

Seeing people smile.

Melon

I like my kitchen table a lot.
But on a more adventurous note, I think the most stunning place I have ever been to has to be Hobbiton. It was exactly as you see in the movies, all so well kept with the greenery and the little details to all the Hobbit holes.
My must go to list is pretty long. But what I would love to see is Uluru (when I come over to visit my Aussie Sis, I'll go there as well). The Taj Mahal in India. The Chinese Wall. And I would love to travel to Iceland.

Me.... naughty..... no way.
But if you ask my mum.... There are two things that spring to mind. One day my brother and I were playing in my bedroom and somehow there was a can of paint there, and apparently it had tumbled of, which we handed noticed, but we walked through the paint several times and made a complete foot stained pattern in the carpet. And once we were also playing in the kitchen. We cut all the clay (like a play-do-set) in really tiny pieces and pretended it snowed.... throwing all those tiny pieces in the air and dancing around in it. Meanwhile of course treating in it, having it sticking to our shoes and walking it around the entire kitchen (luckily we had a tile floor there).
Oh, oh, now I do sound naughty.... there goes my rep.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 29 2014, 9:42pm

Post #48 of 50 (570 views)
Shortcut
psst Rosie [In reply to] Can't Post

your new avatar reminds me of a mural on a bookstore near my house that specializes in science fiction, fantasy, horror, film and media books, comics, and graphic novels.

http://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/...O36H78-WiFpfOA/l.jpg
http://www.standish-ericsson.org/...747/4286390_orig.jpg

more here:
https://www.flickr.com/...are/with/3781452243/

I think it's a clever concept, well executed, and fits well with the name of the store which is "Dreamhaven."

My favorite is the toaster dreaming of being a robot but the worm with dragon dreams is cool, too.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 29 2014, 9:44pm)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 29 2014, 9:59pm

Post #49 of 50 (563 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are stunning!
I love it when a company thinks a little outside of the box with such things. It adds something special to it.
And with that name, it really fits!

With my avatar, I love the idea of storytelling and listening to people who can actually tell dragons, princes or entire kingdoms out of stories. So when I came across this picture, I just had to use it.

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Nov 3 2014, 12:42am

Post #50 of 50 (557 views)
Shortcut
Just a few tidbits! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Btw, I loved The King and I as a kid and always remembered that " Getting to know you" song! Thanks, Kel! Smile

1. I'll never leave without my phone, and a decent outfit! That includes my purse! Wink

2. Music, a book, a long car drive/ride and alone time. But especially the music. Anything sad sounding: Taylor Swift, Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, LOTR/TH. It's all just very therapeutic!

3. Vanilla. Or actually Oreo/cookies and cream! Anything with oreo flavor is the best!! Oreo blizzards are the best invention ever because it combines the two best desserts!!Cool

4.Home and New Zealand! I'm dying to go to N. Z. before I die!!

5. Ok, well, I don't know how old I was, maybe 3-5. I loved watching Elmo's World and was fascinated by the way he, pretty much, drew his room into being and signed his name on the window. So, I took it into my head to do the same in my room, drawing a long line all the way around my room with red crayon. I don't remember if my dad caught me in the act of doing it it or not but anyways it was discovered. My parents questioned me and I told them my little brother had done it (in green crayon, to make the lie worse! As if they couldn't see the red on the wall!) and, boy, you can bet that he got it! I don't remember feeling guilty about this but I must've learned that what I'd did was wrong because I did tell my parents awhile later. Like maybe a year or two later. My mom was so upset because she didn't think I'd lie to her. That's when guilt started to creep in!Crazy

Thanks for doing this! It's been fun!! :)

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

It is our fight!~ Tauriel

I fear neither death nor pain! ~Eowyn

(This post was edited by Cuwen Maegmacil on Nov 3 2014, 12:44am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.