Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Possible Prologue Spoiler in DOS EE Appendices?

Subaruman
Bree

Oct 23 2014, 2:08pm

Post #1 of 24 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Possible Prologue Spoiler in DOS EE Appendices? Can't Post

I'm not sure of the likelihood, but in Appendix 9 Chapter 11 (A Chance Meeting), they discuss the decision and impacts of splitting the 2 movies into 3. At around the 0:35 mark they show the title sequences to all 3 films. For AUJ they show the smoke ring with the film title, for DOS they show the mountains with the film title, and for BOFA they show the people of Laketown walking along the mountain tops with Laketown burning in the background with the film title.

It could just be that they used a sample shot from BOFA as a generic reference to use, but I suppose it's possible that they used the actual title sequence.

If that's the case then it implies that BOFA will launch directly into the destruction of Laketown as the prologue. It would be different from all the other films if that was the case, but then again, the cliff hanger ending of DOS was different from any of the other films as well.

Thoughts?

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 2:22pm

Post #2 of 24 (732 views)
Shortcut
I've said before, I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty certain there's an interview out there where they literally say the prologue is going to be the Smaug attack. I also remember when the interview came out no-one seemed to see it as a big deal. Crazy So I'm starting to think maybe I was the only one who read it.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 23 2014, 2:23pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 2:23pm

Post #3 of 24 (617 views)
Shortcut
Screenshot? [In reply to] Can't Post

The actual design of the logo would be very interesting!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 2:25pm

Post #4 of 24 (629 views)
Shortcut
Seems worryingly official [In reply to] Can't Post

This means Smaug's attack on Lake-town can't really be any longer than 7-8 minutes, which will give real ammunition to those who question why it couldn't have just formed the climax of DoS. Furthermore, a Middle-earth film just isn't quite the same without an introductory flashback, and I think we can all agree that the meeting of the Dwarf Lords at Ered Luin would have been a great way to introduce Dain (otherwise I can't see him getting interact with Thorin at any point) and set-up some of the key elements of the film - the Arkenstone and the intervention of the Dwarves of the Iron Hills.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Oct 23 2014, 2:28pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 2:29pm

Post #5 of 24 (645 views)
Shortcut
There's also this video... [In reply to] Can't Post

Where David Clayton refers to the Smaug attack as "An exciting opening sequence" http://uk.ign.com/...be-a-killing-machine

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2014, 2:29pm

Post #6 of 24 (590 views)
Shortcut
Unless I'm thinking of a different interview. [In reply to] Can't Post

The quote was that "we can get straight into the action", which could be interpreted as no prologue but I would tend to think simply means all the travelling and character introductions are already dealt with.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Oct 23 2014, 2:31pm

Post #7 of 24 (659 views)
Shortcut
Here is the image screencapped from the appendices! [In reply to] Can't Post

Best quality I could get it.

think this could really be our title screen?

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 2:34pm

Post #8 of 24 (584 views)
Shortcut
Doubt it... [In reply to] Can't Post

This looks typed, not hand-drawn.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Oct 23 2014, 2:35pm

Post #9 of 24 (567 views)
Shortcut
Oh man [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope it is not.

Smaug as a prologue would just feel wrong.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

micha84
Rivendell

Oct 23 2014, 2:44pm

Post #10 of 24 (549 views)
Shortcut
not a prologue [In reply to] Can't Post

Well if the movie starts right away with Smaug destroying Laketown, that doesn't mean that that is the film's prologue. It would mean that there is no prologue! Which would be shame... because one could think of several great flashback scenes for it. Something about the dwarves, something from Beorn's past, or even something about Sauron... but let's wait and see how it plays out.

(This post was edited by micha84 on Oct 23 2014, 2:44pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 2:45pm

Post #11 of 24 (540 views)
Shortcut
That's from the trailer. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very possible they were just reusing an image so there's no spoilers. Didn't they do a similar thing in one of the Vlogs?

adt100
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 2:57pm

Post #12 of 24 (518 views)
Shortcut
It's from the EE appendices, so it's 'official' in that sense, if not necessarily the actual opening. [In reply to] Can't Post

adt100
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 3:05pm

Post #13 of 24 (507 views)
Shortcut
It could be an intentional red herring.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but if not then it does seem to suggest the Laketown attack is fairly swift and somewhat corroborates comments we have already heard.

In many ways it makes sense film-wise and I've thought ever since DOS that the second and third films are very much like HP: TDH in that respect. Straight into the action from the start.

Smaug was the star of DOS and had a long sequence at the end so I don't really feel short changed if we don't see a huge amount of him and Laketown in BOFA. This sequence is more about a resolution of that storyline before we can fully get into the events of the BOFA.

Some would say you could've cut the Smaug/Erebor chase scenes down and put this in the end of that, but I don't agree. It would be too much of a 'hurrah' 'happy ever after, the dragon is dead' kind of end and there simply wouldnt then be the time to ramp up the tension and set-up events for the BOFA. This way the two key strands of the second half of the book are brought together across the 2 films and gives i) a great cliffhanger ending for DOS and ii) a great action packed opening.

tsmith675
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 3:15pm

Post #14 of 24 (519 views)
Shortcut
There's no way. [In reply to] Can't Post

That would make the attack on Laketown way too short. I don't think it needs to be too long, but it definitely needs to be more than 5 minutes. It would feel so anticlimactic waiting a year after that cliffhanger in DoS for that entire sequence to be over in the first 5 minutes of the movie. There's just no way.

And it would be very jarring to have the title come up 20 minutes into the movie.

Our destiny lies above us.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 3:17pm

Post #15 of 24 (495 views)
Shortcut
Thinking about it now [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe the AUJ title card comes up about 10-11 minutes into the movie (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong), so I suppose it's not unthinkable they could have it between 10-15 minutes.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 3:24pm

Post #16 of 24 (499 views)
Shortcut
The DOS prologue... [In reply to] Can't Post

...also is rather long, with Thorin in Bree. Not sure about the runtime.

tsmith675
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 3:25pm

Post #17 of 24 (472 views)
Shortcut
Something like that [In reply to] Can't Post

But I still don't think that's enough time. Plus, I always think they put the title up way too late in AUJ. Maybe it's just me, but I like all the titles to be done as soon as possible. They kind of bring me out of it.

An example is Pacific Rim. I remember the first time I saw it, I was sucked in right from the beginning. The whole first battle was badass and I completely bought into the entire world. And then after over 15 minutes, the title "Pacific Rim" popped up. It took me right out of it. I don't know, that stuff just bothers me.

Our destiny lies above us.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 3:34pm

Post #18 of 24 (482 views)
Shortcut
The main problem with ending with Smaug's attack... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that audiences see that as the main goal of the story. It's like if Frodo had destroyed the Ring at the end of TTT. Audiences would be left with no reason to see the next film, because in their mind they've seen the climax.

I do wonder if the original intention was to kill Smaug in DoS. It makes sense with the title and would explain the drawn out ending. I imagine the studio wasn't happy with the idea for the reason I just mentioned and told PJ to try something else.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 23 2014, 3:36pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 3:39pm

Post #19 of 24 (447 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not think that Smaug's demise was ever meant to be in DOS.As Jackson had stated on March 2013 during the first fan event of DOS,the battle of Dol Guldur and the White Council "kicking some ass" was going to be a part of the second movieWink

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2014, 4:37pm

Post #20 of 24 (393 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

The original split was always intended to be the Barrels sequences, which is why it was amped up so much - I believe PJ even stated that the movie would have ended with Bard's introduction, bow poised and we wouldn't know if he was friend or foe...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

DjU
Lorien

Oct 23 2014, 4:57pm

Post #21 of 24 (400 views)
Shortcut
Title times [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I believe the AUJ title card comes up about 10-11 minutes into the movie (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong), so I suppose it's not unthinkable they could have it between 10-15 minutes.

AUJ - 12.51 (EE: 13.59)
DOS - 06.33 (EE: 08.21)

Haven't got digital copies of LotR but off the top of my head FotR is about just over 7 minutes in TTT is 4 minutes and RotK around 9 minutes in.

DjU
Lorien

Oct 23 2014, 5:04pm

Post #22 of 24 (373 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree it much more likely it is something that Pellerin Multimedia / Trailer Park have simply knocked up to use in that montage in the Appendices rather the a final version from the film.

Subaruman
Bree

Oct 23 2014, 5:52pm

Post #23 of 24 (360 views)
Shortcut
So if a 13 - 14 min prologue has already been done, this scenario is possible [In reply to] Can't Post

13 - 14 minutes seems a reasonable amount of time for Smaug to destroy Laketown, followed by a quick decision between the survivors to start making their way to Dale.

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2014, 6:15pm

Post #24 of 24 (339 views)
Shortcut
If this *is* indeed the case... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This means Smaug's attack on Lake-town can't really be any longer than 7-8 minutes, which will give real ammunition to those who question why it couldn't have just formed the climax of DoS.

...I will be in a bad mood for the entire film, thinking about how that could have been how DoS ended instead of what we got (which i pretty much hated).

Furthermore, a Middle-earth film just isn't quite the same without an introductory flashback...

I couldn't agree more with this-- it would be a real shame.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.