New BOTFA Poster
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Amigo
Bree

Oct 23 2014, 2:13am

Post #51 of 67 (463 views)
Shortcut
It's the... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the international poster. It's not fan made.

Speak "friend" and enter.

Lindele
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 2:34am

Post #52 of 67 (466 views)
Shortcut
Where did you find [In reply to] Can't Post

the AUJ floating heads poster?

I really must know this.

Amigo
Bree

Oct 23 2014, 2:42am

Post #53 of 67 (468 views)
Shortcut
Here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember where I found it in English (probably a Google image search, but I've had it on my computer forever), but there's a version not in English on IMP Awards....

http://impawards.com/2012/hobbit_an_unexpected_journey_ver35.html

Speak "friend" and enter.

(This post was edited by Amigo on Oct 23 2014, 2:47am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 4:00am

Post #54 of 67 (464 views)
Shortcut
Thanks... it's a weird poster imo [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks... fan-madeUnimpressed

But least Thranduil's to the fore, and not behind Tauriel or Legolas again.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVI | XVI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2014, 6:42am

Post #55 of 67 (419 views)
Shortcut
Yup, I was just going to say the same thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil's actually a smidgeon larger than the dynamic duo, or at least it seems it because he does appear to have been given prominence for once...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2014, 6:47am

Post #56 of 67 (403 views)
Shortcut
Yep! Love it!... Same reason... and... [In reply to] Can't Post

BILBO is back BIG SIZE too! Great!!!
So many people complained that this wasn't anymore the story of a Hobbit, but of Dwarves and Elves and whatnot, so now that the focus is squarely put back on our Hobbit, I hope they will celebrate, and congratulate the filmmakers....! Cool

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2014, 7:27am

Post #57 of 67 (399 views)
Shortcut
Am I the only one to rejoice about Bilbo being center stage here?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally this is the one thing I noticed first, and rejoiced about immediately. I am surprised to seem to be the only person to even mention it. Most people notice only that this shot of him was already used for an older poster, and are unhappy because of that.
Yet for other posters previously, where Elves or Dwarves were prominent, there has been quite a lot of criticism that the real hero and main character in the story was being forgotten or downplayed. So where are those critics now? Aren't they reassured that it is not so, and relieved of their worries? Why do I see none of the previous complainers coming forward now to acknowledge this very positive fact??? That would only be fair, I would think...Wink

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 7:50am

Post #58 of 67 (386 views)
Shortcut
It is good. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I never had an issue with Bilbo being smaller than Gandalf for the perfect DoS poster.

The pipe with Smaug was simply great.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 8:01am

Post #59 of 67 (401 views)
Shortcut
Not a fan of this poster [In reply to] Can't Post

at all!

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 8:28am

Post #60 of 67 (369 views)
Shortcut
I "noticed" and "rejoiced"...but didn't say so [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Am I the only one to rejoice about Bilbo being center stage here?! Personally this is the one thing I noticed first, and rejoiced about immediately. I am surprised to seem to be the only person to even mention it.

I was going to mention it, MG, but it was late so I just expressed my general approval.

You're right; it's very reassuring.

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 10:26am

Post #61 of 67 (358 views)
Shortcut
For once being the key phrase [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it's not a fluke or the artist being overworked and misjudging image placements or sizesCrazyTongue

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVI | XVI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 2:01pm

Post #62 of 67 (333 views)
Shortcut
That's freaking cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favorites of this Trilogy.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 23 2014, 2:42pm

Post #63 of 67 (323 views)
Shortcut
But re the proportions/composition I shouldn't think of the Macy's Thanksgiving parade [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't think one of my first reactions should have been laughter with images of giant balloon characters popping into my mind.Unsure

Unlike the AUJ poster where as typical of these kind of montages, Bilbo is also large, but the composition has a nice "flow" to it. Think of the iconic Star Wars art.

And IMO the Bard/Smaug poster is an incredible example of the use of proportion as is the Bilbo/Erebor poster. But here the whole "asymmetrical balance" think looks forced - Smaug just seems to have been shoehorned in and looks more cute to me than menacing, other images aren't working well together or the poses are off - and Bilbo is a rehash and TOO BIG for this composition, the elves at the bottom have nice poses but seem too tightly jammed together, not enough dwarf presence.

So I understand the comments about looks fan-made - except there are fans out there who can and do do a better job. *Sigh*.Unsure

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2014, 3:36pm

Post #64 of 67 (315 views)
Shortcut
This wasn't my point, was it?... [In reply to] Can't Post

I could easily agree with some of your criticisms on this poster; but not when you compare it to the Bard/Smaug one, which is obviously much easier to organize than a multi-floating-heads one...! Wink
I'm sure, if you weren't so tired you would readily agree with me..
Well, here (South India) it is getting quite late, I for one am going to bed!...To make sure that tomorrow morning I can still keep up with everything on this great 'Hobbit' Board of TORn, I need to rest!!! See you after a while... Smile

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 4:19pm

Post #65 of 67 (317 views)
Shortcut
Finally, a poster I love! [In reply to] Can't Post

Reminds me of LOTR way more than the other posters (in a good way).
Thanks for posting! Wink

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 3:37am

Post #66 of 67 (301 views)
Shortcut
For those who aren't liking the poster [finger-gesture at source image warning] [In reply to] Can't Post

if you're ok with a finger-gesture happy Bilbo, this fan edit, despite the laughs, actually enhances it imo... except the one of Thorin oughta have been this (yes) finger-gesturing one just for thematic and ambience symmetry *snerkles*.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 24 2014, 3:37am)

adt100
Rohan

Oct 27 2014, 6:53pm

Post #67 of 67 (265 views)
Shortcut
I rarely love floating head posters, but they ARE much harder to design than they appear. [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly don't agree that fans can make any better as whenever I've seen fan posters of any if the LOTR/Hobbit films that a re nowhere near as accomplished. Partly of course because fans won't have access to all the hi res assets to compose them, but also they are just very hard to so well, both in terms of composition but also the technical side of it. However good you are on Photoshop, when you are told you have to fit so many characters in and give certain prominence, it's a huge challenge.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.