First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 10:29pm

Post #51 of 61 (1721 views)
Shortcut
LOL love your excitement [In reply to] Can't Post

It's no biggie and I know you would do the same for us Thralls Smile
If I see something interesting Thorin-related I will pop by in the future and post some more.

And emm drooling over your keyboard might not be the best idea, poor thing will malfunction. Next time I will put up a HTR (High Thud Risk) alert for ya, ok? Wink

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 10:31pm

Post #52 of 61 (1721 views)
Shortcut
Very welcome and glad I could bring something new to the table [In reply to] Can't Post

And I like the idea of the other Dwarves helping King Thorin into his armor, Theoden style. That would be a nice touch!

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 26 2014, 11:16pm

Post #53 of 61 (1720 views)
Shortcut
Some of us already have! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins and I did, nearly two years ago now. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Oct 26 2014, 11:20pm)

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 27 2014, 12:49am

Post #54 of 61 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Those look great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Alas, I have no skill with knitting/crocheting (wish I did!). I admire the people who do. Smile

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 27 2014, 1:13am

Post #55 of 61 (1708 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Every short person in the world thanks people like you for helping us out. Smile It's humiliating to have to ask for help (for me, but I'm pretty shy), but we do appreciate it.

Aside from my love of nature, I too would probably make a good dwarf (except for having to live in mountains). I've definitely got the stubbornness taken care of.

Though I may have to wear a harness so that I don't accidentally fall to my death, since I don't have the balance that dwarves have (perhaps Thorin could help me with this)

I forgot to mention that. I'm extremely ungraceful, so Erebor would probably be a death trap for me. (Would it really be so hard for them to create handrails?) I'm sure Thorin would be very willing. You might have to fight with Avandel and Kim and a few others (only some thousands) for him though. Wink

I suppose I could get used to living in a place like Erebor, but I would need plenty of trips to see nature. I'd be miserable if I had to look at stone walls every day. It would be neat to explore it: the armories, libraries, goat pens (I'm sure they had some way of corralling them), throne room, hidden nooks and crannies, underground streams, and such. I'd love to have some of the architecture highlighted in the next movie, and a little exploration of some of the different halls/rooms.

As for modern conveniences, well, I'd definitely miss you lovely lot, my books, my favorite movies, chocolate (it's a staple), ice cream, hot chocolate, cars (though I wouldn't mind going everywhere by horseback -- it would just take so long), grocery stores (I may hate 'em, but they're convenient), and modern clothing. Especially modern clothing. I love reading about the costumes, but I would not like to wear one of those dresses. They'd be unbearably hot, heavy, and long. And those are just the few things I can think of off of the top of my head. Don't get me wrong, I would love to live in Middle-earth, but it would be hard to adjust. Oh, and I forgot about the orcs, goblins, wargs, and giant spiders. *shudder* Now, I know the baddies probably don't regularly attack settlements of people, but I'd still be scared to travel unless I had a full entourage of armed guards.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 27 2014, 1:26am

Post #56 of 61 (1710 views)
Shortcut
what dress? [In reply to] Can't Post

If I'm a dwarf, it's the leather and chain maille for me....with silver chasing to go with the pearls in my beard.Cool

And boots. DEFINITELY the boots.HeartHeartHeart

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 27 2014, 2:38am

Post #57 of 61 (1708 views)
Shortcut
*groan* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, Lord. Avandel, please do not title a post like that. I don't want to tell you what I was thinking before I clicked on your post (let's just say that all of your sentiments regarding Thorin led me to...well, you can guess). Blush Naughty brain. *tsks*

But female dwarves did wear dresses. There was a good shot of one in the AUJ prologue, and some that were singled out in Cloaks and Daggers, and all of them had dresses. So, unless you're a warrior (not likely for dwarven women), you probably wouldn't have a need to wear chainmail. Leather I could see, especially if you were traveling. Sorry to burst your bubble there. I suppose you could be a renegade... Or a lady dwarf with very militaristic/battle-ready style sense. Smile That type of ensemble might work if you were Dwalin's wife...But I know you have someone else in mind. Wink

And boots. DEFINITELY the boots.HeartHeartHeart

Oh, yes, most definitely. I've yet to decide whose boots I like best, but from memory I remember being awestruck by Thorin's.

Here we go. I found a picture. Just look at them!

I do like Nori's and Bombur's too. Oh, heck, I like them all. Middle-earth's got good fashion sense. Wink

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:16am

Post #58 of 61 (1704 views)
Shortcut
where is that blooper scene of the key getting stuck???? [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds hilarious, but I can't find it on youtube Frown

Do you have a link?

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 27 2014, 3:22am

Post #59 of 61 (1704 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if this is copyright infringement or anything, though. If so, mods, feel free to delete. It's right here.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 27 2014, 4:41am

Post #60 of 61 (1704 views)
Shortcut
ROFLOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

An INTERESTING and IMAGINITIVE train of thought to be sure, and perfectly understandable in light of repeated viewings of spectacular beings who are heroic, fascinating, and have the faces of fallen angels. Anyway, it is all Sir Peter's fault - he is the one who gleefully cast so much heartbreaking pulchritude.Angelic

Alas that Tolkien did not expand on the culture of dwarves further! But however non-canon it may be, I like to think that Thorin, and possibly all dwarves, would thoroughly approve of female dwarves being able to wield weapons, and doing it well at need. Certainly I like to imagine that those beautifully gowned female dwarves are very tough - I imagine them being like the women in the film the 13th Warrior - the scene where the queen brings the knives during the attack of the eaters and says, "when the time comes, don't let them (the hiding women and children) be taken."

And I like to think of Thorin's sister as the one ruling in the Blue Mountains while Thorin is gone. I think Dis would be strong, surviving exile - in her way no less so than Thorin. In any case, re the dwarves in Erebor before Smaug, they were wearing robes and dresses, not leather - as you say, leather seems to be more of a travelling or fighting outfit.

Oh the boots! Thorin's I love, with the straps and the toe caps, but all the Durins have great boots. I like Dwalin's too.HeartHeartHeart

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 30 2014, 12:52am

Post #61 of 61 (1694 views)
Shortcut
I'm replying to this very late, I know. [In reply to] Can't Post

Normally, I do not think that way. Really, I don't.

Alas that Tolkien did not expand on the culture of dwarves further!

Alas, indeed. I'm very upset that he spent so much time on the darned elves and the dwarves took the backseat.

Hmm, so a race of Amazonian dwarven women? I suppose it might happen -- after all, dwarves are very stubborn: if a woman wanted her way she'd get it, I guess. But, considering how protective dwarven men were of their women, I'd say it would be highly unlikely. Interesting thought, nonetheless.

I'm sure many of the women didn't need training in weapons, but in times of strife and peril the men probably taught them just in case they couldn't protect them. After all, even the greatest of fighters can fall. Unsure

I've always thought that too about Dis. Very little is said about her, but one can conclude from all the events that went on around her that she was one very strong lady.

Regarding boots, all of the Dwarves' boots are great. Thorin's are definitely the best, but it's hard to decide between the others. I'm also loving Legolas' boots.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.