Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Galadriel Holding the Phial..Is It An Official Poster As Well or Fan Made?

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 11:41pm

Post #1 of 15 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel Holding the Phial..Is It An Official Poster As Well or Fan Made? Can't Post

https://www.facebook.com/TheHobbitMovie/photos/a.444408395594771.93946.160617097307237/444409138928030/

SPECULATIONS WARNING....

If this is not fan made...then it really would not be a surprise that Galadriel may use the Phial to potentially "kick Sauron's ass" if he has no material physical shape, though Gandalf fans may still not be happy as some may deem that Gandalf or his "force field bubble" (at least in the movies) should still be more potent than what she's holding. If Sauron takes shape, we may seem some sword fighting. As with the other poster with her extending the hand to Gandalf, I was contemplating what this scenario would be.

At first, I thought she may have been struck down by Sauron (or potentially one of his minions), and she's crawling towards him, then gives him a kiss in the forehead, but then again, Sauron shouldn't be wasting time with sentiments. If Galadriel was struck down and would imagine go straight for the kill, then the only way I could see the above-mentioned scene from happening is that Sauron is distracted immediately (maybe from Saruman) after he or one of his minions just struck down Galadriel. I still think the best fight scenario would be Galadriel disposing of some orcs fairly quickly (using the daggers of the Noldorin that she gave to Merry and Pippin), clearly distinguishing the capabilities of a Noldorin elf from her peers, and then dealing with Sauron wherein she holds her ground until Saruman arrives and tips the balance to both their favors. Also, looking forward to a display of great lore from what either learned from Melian (as stated in the books) and from the Valar.

Or possibly, she looks like she's trying to reach out for him from falling on a ledge or something...not sure...it may also be possible it's some kind of mental image she sends to Gandalf...like what Frodo saw when she helped him pick himself up when he could no longer take the evil of the ring....

Also, in the books, Galadriel prepared the Phial for Frodo, so it was not in existence before the Hobbit? Or maybe she can cook it up several times...lol.

DjU
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 11:52pm

Post #2 of 15 (747 views)
Shortcut
It's Real [In reply to] Can't Post

It's real - it's on the Official Hobbit Facebook page. You are aware that was a poster that was used for AUJ?

leonmuse
Rivendell

Oct 22 2014, 12:24am

Post #3 of 15 (692 views)
Shortcut
Yes, i think he's aware. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me ask you a frank question: Why the urge to come off as rude and/or sarcastic? Maybe it's just me, but that's the image I got from you, from your recent replies.

But he's brought an interesting topic to the table. I think they've marketed Galadriel using the wrong image, for AUJ. Seeing it again right now, it fits perfectly for BOTFA.

(This post was edited by leonmuse on Oct 22 2014, 12:26am)

DjU
Lorien

Oct 22 2014, 12:37am

Post #4 of 15 (676 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Let me ask you a frank question: Why the urge to come off as rude and/or sarcastic? Maybe it's just me, but that's the image I got from you, from your recent replies.

Pretty sure its just you. There was nothing sarcastic or rude in my post. Girdle of Melian seem to be unsure if it was fan made or not - that was the whole question, the fact they are asking the question implies the they may not be aware so I asked if they knew it was from AUJ?

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Oct 22 2014, 12:55am

Post #5 of 15 (656 views)
Shortcut
No Offense Taken [In reply to] Can't Post

But thank you for the concern...there's a lot of fan made stuff here so sometimes you never know which is which, although it seems authentic....

adt100
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 8:35am

Post #6 of 15 (546 views)
Shortcut
Nice pic, hadn't seen it before. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's true there can be some very good 'fan made' stuff out there these days if people can get hold of good enough 'official' photos to work with.

Fleuz
Lorien

Oct 22 2014, 8:56am

Post #7 of 15 (537 views)
Shortcut
It was a cover photo [In reply to] Can't Post

for the EMPIRE Magazine. For AUJ. So it's very real... Wink

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/...ine-as-galadriel.jpg

(This post was edited by Fleuz on Oct 22 2014, 8:58am)

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Oct 22 2014, 9:52am

Post #8 of 15 (521 views)
Shortcut
So it is true then.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am pretty sure then that we shall see the Phial used against Sauron, whether or not it will glow brighter in her hands, we are not sure. Also, if it should really even affect Sauron, I am not sure coz in the books the Phial could not glow near Mt. Doom (but then again Sauron was stronger by that time). Also, it also signifies its importance as it was given to Frodo.

On another topic, I would rather not see Galadriel destroy Dol Guldur fully, but maybe just break the main entrance or something and see some "lore" work against Orcs or even Sauron....

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2014, 12:14pm

Post #9 of 15 (502 views)
Shortcut
I just love this poster of Galadriel with the Phial... [In reply to] Can't Post

As for one of your questions:
It was said indeed in FOTR that this phial was what she prepared for Frodo, yes, that was her parting Gift to him, the Ring-bearer, who would be the most in need of such a high Protection: the Silmaril "light of Earendil's star, set amid the waters of my fountain" as she herself tells Frodo...
Either that phial existed already before and she had used it herself previously against Sauron at Dol Guldur, or she made another one at the time of LOTR especially for giving it to Frodo. Sorry that I cannot myself say which of the two possibilities is the correct one... I am not aware of any further info about that.
But thank you for at least noticing the fact and asking the question! Wink
My own guess would be that she kept her own phial from before, and prepared a second one for Frodo, in the way she describes: The star is still there, the fountain is still there, and Galadriel's own power to prepare such phials is still there too, so that would be my personal answer, for whatever it's worth.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Oct 22 2014, 2:14pm

Post #10 of 15 (488 views)
Shortcut
As far as the Phial is concerned... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the beginning I thought that maybe she learned this from Melian, but we sometimes (or at least I did) that catching the starlight of Eärendil in a bottle can be acknowledged to be an Aulëan method, which she had learned in Valinor. She also learned from the Valar directly and absorbed everything they deemed fit to teach her (and Feanor for that matter). It is the light of Varda herself that shines into the eyes of Shelob when Samwise invokes her name. I don't think that Shelob would not have stopped or deterred by any lesser light. I am almost curious now as to what difference Melian would have thought her that the Valar didn't (other than Middle Earth stuff) as the Valar were higher beings than the Maiar.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 2:56pm

Post #11 of 15 (478 views)
Shortcut
What a great find! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not thought about this before, because it is an old poster, but indeed this is probably a teaser of how Galadriel will fight at Dol Guldur Tongue

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2014, 3:19pm

Post #12 of 15 (472 views)
Shortcut
But the Silmarils [In reply to] Can't Post

had been made by Feanor from the light of the Two Trees, that is, the original Light straight from Eru, and after the death of the Two Trees that Supreme Light was left only in the Silmarils, wasn't it?
Btw, it never was clear to me how Ungoliant could eat up even THAT Light - and by so doing kill the Trees, with all the dire consequences that had for the Valar and everyone else.
And yet Morgoth later on couldn't really handle the Silmarils, and Feanor's sons themselves had problems with them ... I don't know if JRRT ever elucidated what seems to me to be contradictions in all this? I'll have to check carefully in the Letters, for example. Unless you or someone else knows the answer???

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2014, 3:34pm

Post #13 of 15 (478 views)
Shortcut
Oh my!!! That fight against Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

at DG is for me even more intriguing and fascinating to expect than the BoFA itself!!! I'll be so glad to see Galadriel show her might, when in LOTR we have seen her mostly as the Protector of Lothlorien with her Elvish Ring... I am so excited in advance by the Dol Guldur Battle!!! WinkSmile

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Oct 22 2014, 3:35pm)

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Oct 23 2014, 9:50am

Post #14 of 15 (434 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Galadriel is Mighty and Underestimated By Many [In reply to] Can't Post

..in my opinion.

Tolkien, though not very specific as to what she exactly did, is not in shortage of passages and quotes regarding the physical attributes, athletic capabilities, knowledge and wisdom, etc. that Galadriel displayed, so hence many interpret it in many ways. Though she is compared to Feanor in many ways as the 2nd greatest of the Elves (and that's a maybe in Tolkien's words even), it is clear that as she spent more time in Middle Earth and also learned from Melian that she has gained more and more wisdom, and wisdom can easily equal power. Just this passage from one of Tolkien's last essays states a lot of things:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=5t4vfhasRVcC&pg=PT145&lpg=PT145&dq=Galadriel+and+teachings+of+the+valar&source=bl&ots=SlQf_Mde5n&sig=O3IMwakn7tsnXKXDLv-Oy0uM_JE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=aMlIVJ_3NImhyATkyoKoDg&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Galadriel%20and%20teachings%20of%20the%20valar&f=false

Yet, always she is dismissed as non-physically combatant wherein for most cases if the Elf was being described was a male, many would not even interpret it any other way. Even when Tolkien quoted this (quite clearly and specific on who did what in my opinion):

"Do not be afraid! But do not think that only by singing amid the trees, nor even by the slender arrows of elven-bows, is this land of Lothlórien maintained and defended against its Enemy"

"Three times Lórien had been assailed from Dol Guldur, but the power that dwelt there was too great for any to overcome, unless Sauron had come there himself. When the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed.”

“But perhaps you could call her perilous because she's so strong in herself. You , you could dash yourself to pieces on her, like a ship on a rock, or drown yourself, like a Hobbit in a river, but neither rock nor river would be to blame.”

...Many have simply dismissed these quotes as metaphors (though they support each other quite well)..that she was just a "leader" and that she is revered (though most agree she is wise). However, if Tolkien had said "They Took Dol Guldur, and the Elves threw down its walls and laid bare its pits,etc." no one would have doubt that the other Elves would have done that, but not Galadriel, of course.

Thus, you are right, it will be good to see her display a lot of power (even more power than an Istari that is not in full Mair state---whether or not the Istari can fully manifest their full Maiars powers in ME is really forever quite debatable in my opinion), even if many Gandalf fans or book lovers may be unhappy about that (hey if a mere man can get lucky and cut Sauron's finger..why not Galadriel?). As many say, power can be defined in so many ways. I would like to see Galadriel in physical action and apply Tolkien's description of her athletic prowess into combat applications!

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2014, 1:49pm

Post #15 of 15 (417 views)
Shortcut
Quite true and well said! Sorry for this belated answer [In reply to] Can't Post

to this great post of yours about the Lady of Light I can see we both love and admire.
Melian too, whom your name obviously connects you to, is another character that drew me a lot (Thingol's wife and Luthien's mother. wow!!!), but that I didn't study as much, and so who remained more of a remote mystery for me.
The friendship that grew between these two great ladies, though, I always found quite fascinating, so I appreciate the hints you give of Galadriel learning so much from Melian.
We still have to wait some time to see how all this will play out at Dol Guldur this December!!! From her use of the phial to her turning "her athletic prowess into combat applications!", we probably are in for something beautiful and powerful to watch... Cool
In the meantime, thank you for this very interesting conversation! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.