The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Extended Edition...

Simon
Rivendell

Oct 21 2014, 2:24pm

Post #1 of 10 (1491 views)
Shortcut
Extended Edition... Can't Post

10/10 Smile ... I love it! Better pacing, amazing new scenes and wise storytelling! Jackson have keep some of the best scenes for this version!

p.s. Even the molten gold look better Tongue

xxxyyy
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 2:56pm

Post #2 of 10 (764 views)
Shortcut
Really?! Molten gold... do you think they re-rendered it? Is so, that's VERY good. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Simon
Rivendell

Oct 21 2014, 3:09pm

Post #3 of 10 (780 views)
Shortcut
From the way i see it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes it look more texture wise and more nuances in the brightness and the colors (the scene with Smaug and the statue). I check the scene rapidly ...maybe i'm wrong but i think not!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 6:09pm

Post #4 of 10 (449 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't look any different to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you download the HD version? That might be responsible for the higher clarity.

Simon
Rivendell

Oct 21 2014, 6:29pm

Post #5 of 10 (410 views)
Shortcut
Maybe that be it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile ... i will look more carefully next time!

Simon
Rivendell

Oct 21 2014, 6:32pm

Post #6 of 10 (405 views)
Shortcut
Been a little while since i check the theatrical cut... [In reply to] Can't Post

In my souvenir, the effect was less convincing... i think its well done after all!

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 10:52pm

Post #7 of 10 (288 views)
Shortcut
"Something's not right . . . it is not right at all!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Bilbo . . . that's how I feel about the DoS EE. Do I like it for the most part? Yes. Was I impressed or wowed? No. I actually felt compelled to let out a 'meh' after realizing that I had just seen all of the new footage. The Desolation of Smaug was the last opportunity to include/display a considerable degree of company charm, humour, and camaraderie before entering no-time-for-this-or-that-because-things-are-far-too-dire territory. No song nor cheer (NO SONG!). Very little lightheartedness. The company's introduction to Beorn, while likeable, was not as endearing as it could have been.

Not nearly enough character moments for the Dwarves whom I don't know as well as I should. 'Dead? No, only between his ears; his legs work fine', I mean, how come all the dwarves don't have memorable moments like that by now? Nothing new from Fili?! Really?! Nothing fresh from Ori?! No Bifur antics? Not even a solid joke from Bofur?! I should feel a much stronger connection to them at this point but unfortunately I don't.

Don't even get me started on the exclusion of Thranduil material, the 'never-venture-east' bit, and the stroll through Dale (which would have been a very nice touch to the latter part of the film). Also, I think It's somewhat humorous and slightly unsettling how some folks seem to think that these exclusions can somehow be justified. Well, they're not. There is no valid reason for omitting that stuff except for the possibility that PJ is saving them for the super-duper box set. And you know what, I don't care if it seems like I'm whining. I'm disappointed. That's fine if you're pleased with the new footage and PJ's 'generosity'; I'm not.

I feel like the new scenes were far too narrative driven and that their execution, at times, was not up to par. The build up to particular moments seemed weak once that somewhat fruitless moment arrived. Certain incidents just 'happened' (if you know what I mean). The viewing experience was still a 'weird' one for me. I got that going-through-the-motions feeling. And dare I say it, the acting felt off at times. I expect to like the Hobbit EE's because they I assume that they'll let you soak up the magic of Middle-earth and wallow in the fantasticality of the journey as well as the allure of the company. This is why I prefer the 13 minutes of extended footage in AUJ over the 25 in DoS. There was just not enough heart in this one for me and I believe that this middle chapter should have possessed a lot more of it.

Hopefully it will eventually win me over but
as of right now I can disturbingly empathize
with the detractors and kinda see where they
are coming from.

I actually like Mr. Jackson a little less now.Unimpressed

P.S. TBOTFAs better be beyond exceptional.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

DjU
Lorien

Oct 22 2014, 12:18am

Post #8 of 10 (246 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also, I think It's somewhat humorous and slightly unsettling how some folks seem to think that these exclusions can somehow be justified. Well, they're not. There is no valid reason for omitting that stuff except for the possibility that PJ is saving them for the super-duper box set. And you know what, I don't care if it seems like I'm whining. I'm disappointed. That's fine if you're pleased with the new footage and PJ's 'generosity'; I'm not.

I'm not sure you could get more stampy feet like if you you tried!

It's not particularity unsettling that people have listened to the reason the DIRECTOR decided he didn't want the scenes in, yes you may not agree with that decision, there are many decisions that people don't agree with in any movie, but I'm not how I'm not sure how that makes them UNVALID you just disagree.

Stamping your feet in a similar fashion to a child...that is mildly unsettling however...

Not sure why you have put 'generosity' in apostrophes, are you trying to suggest that because he didn't follow 'KeenObserver' magical step by step tick list that he isn't be sincere!

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 22 2014, 1:01am

Post #9 of 10 (245 views)
Shortcut
Like I said . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care if it appears like I'm whining or 'stamping my feet'.

You happen to be content or otherwise overjoyed with the EE….good for you. I happen to be considerably disappointed. You happen to agree with the director's excuses….good for you. And that's exactly it, I disagree with Sir Peter and I do not believe his reasons for omission to be valid or 'sensible'. I expressed my view in the form of a declarative statement.

Are you telling me that I'm somehow not allowed to do that? Well, me being accustomed to free speech, I also felt like commenting on the responses of those who are nodding their head and saying, 'yes Peter, we understand and we happily accept it. I'll tell others to not question you and accept it as well'. If you don't like my comment, fair enough. Don't expect an apology or a 'take back' because I'm standing by what I typed.

I put 'generosity' between apostrophes because I've seen a few contented posters tell those of us who are somewhat unhappy to quit being disappointed and appreciate what has been included. Essentially telling us to get over ourselves because a scene that we really wanted to see was left on the cutting room floor. Well, no, I won't just 'get over it' because you say so. I'm going to express my disappointment because I can and you can say whatever you want about me; again, I don't care. In fact, is there any constructive point to your reply other than telling me that I couldn't get anymore 'stampy feet'? I didn't think so.

Are you gonna continue to go around defensively responding to anyone who happens to be wishful, objects to some of Jackson's decisions, has an opinion about others' opinions or is less than pleased with the EE? I mean, you're free to do so but it's almost in a similar fashion to a child…that is mildly unsettling however…

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 22 2014, 1:15am)

Simon
Rivendell

Oct 22 2014, 2:41am

Post #10 of 10 (209 views)
Shortcut
You have the right to feel like that [In reply to] Can't Post

I think, in all respect, we can't argue with the enjoyment or the disappointment of somebody. Its there, you feel it or not. We can have 100 reasons each why we like it or not and all of it will be valid from our standing point of view or sensibility. For me, these movies (the Middle Earth saga) is like a gem with many different little faces who shine as i take the step for the journey and discover them. These movies are crowns with so many details that you can embrace them or hate them. From where i stand, i never witness a fantasy series in filmmaking with such craftmanship in the storytelling behind it. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.