The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
WB's awards season "For your consideration" list for BotFA
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 7:38pm

Post #26 of 45 (327 views)
Shortcut
remember these awards are for BO5A, not the entire trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

Benedict Cumberbatch isn't going to make this list simply because SMAUG WILL DIE WITHIN TEN MINUTES OF THE BEGINNING OF THE FILM. That is NOT a sizeable enough amount of screentime to award an Oscar, especially since all he'll be doing is burning Laketown and (maybe) taunting Bard. There isn't much acting there, especially since it's likely to be mostly CGI action (unlike Inside Information, because BC obviously can't fly).

As much as I'm upset that he was jilted for his Smaug portrayal in DOS, the Oscars are (technically) meant to award for one film. Sure, with ROTK they retroactively awarded for all three films, but from what I hear that's pretty uncommon.

So if retroactively awarded, ABSOLUTELY BC should get one. But if not, then it's right that he's not on the list (unless they deviate so far away from canon that Smaug will be present in most of the film Crazy). He just won't be that involved for BO5A (even as Sauron, which is mostly a mass of cloud, so in that instance it's really only a voice-over).

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Oct 20 2014, 7:39pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2014, 8:12pm

Post #27 of 45 (322 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps the performances are so good that they will throw away the rule book [In reply to] Can't Post

And award Oscars to all of those put forward and everyone else in the film too?

delius82
Rivendell

Oct 20 2014, 11:17pm

Post #28 of 45 (277 views)
Shortcut
Re: Interstellar [In reply to] Can't Post

It hasn't been getting a lot of press, don't know if it'll make it to the podium stage. I think BO5A has the potential to reap a lot of nominations, if not awards.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:23am

Post #29 of 45 (269 views)
Shortcut
That's the interesting point to me [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
no one can say which actor has earned an Oscar nomination for a film they haven't actually seen.

The movie itself is still a good month and a half from premiere and they've got a list already. I was thinking initially that wow... must be a ton of great performances for them to have put up a list so early, but looking at a couple of 2 names on it absolutely disabused me of the notion. It's more a let's fire some shots in the dark and see if we hit something anyway. Plus I suppose the list need to be up now as the nominations shenanigans start around this time.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVI | XVI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:25am

Post #30 of 45 (263 views)
Shortcut
Agree with every point [In reply to] Can't Post

Though it seems strange that they'd just threw up every name that seemed to have a certain minimum screentime they've got in mindCrazy I am of course not questioning the entirety of that resulting listTongue

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVI | XVI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:26am

Post #31 of 45 (262 views)
Shortcut
OT: does it seem [In reply to] Can't Post

that directors that did great tend to just go overlong on VFX reliance and strange story plotline decisions?Crazy

and point! again, Arannir.

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 21 2014, 2:27am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:30am

Post #32 of 45 (265 views)
Shortcut
What I don't get is [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sometimes they restrict the number of people because they think one or two have a chance and do not want the votes split with noone winning in the end.

But WB knows that none of the Hobbit actors have a shot at an oscar nomination - so whom they pick out for the consideration list does not matter at all in the end.

Aren't they showing themselves up with such a massive list of for-your-consideration actors? Though almost of them are folks I'd get behind. But looking at it, I'm going "Someone's smoking somethin..." and "Wha--? Shot in the dark, much?" Even if there's just two, that's self-cannabalising the field imo.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:39am

Post #33 of 45 (260 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lee Pace made me instantly believe... that he was the elfiest elf that ever elfed! Anybody who can get a curmudgeonly cynic like me to temporarily believe that elves are real? Nailed it!

And imo, for book-readers who know of Elves and Thranduil's role in the book, this is a role that's all the more difficult to make credible, but Lee Pace totally embodied Thranduil. I've said so before, but I was a skeptic. and was so not expecting an Elf who both looks it and is IT, especially not after *cough*LotR-Legolas*cough*Evil... imo, getting either looks or the acting or would be something to cheer already. But Lee Pace certainly made me believe we can have the complete packageHeart
Talk about instant ENTHRALLMENTAngelic

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:40am

Post #34 of 45 (263 views)
Shortcut
Buy why bother? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They simply mentioned all names that at least have big enough roles. Knowing full well that none of them will even be nominated.

Just feels insane to even just do this.Crazy

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:42am

Post #35 of 45 (263 views)
Shortcut
*LOL* Well, Spriggan, I don't know how that would swing but I'd think [In reply to] Can't Post

if it happens, that would definitely make the folks who craft the statuettes happy for bonus gainful employment at least.Tongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 3:19am

Post #36 of 45 (259 views)
Shortcut
I like the way you think, Kilidoescartwheels [In reply to] Can't Post

All of it, but of course, especially Heart

I'd probably go for Lee Pace getting a nomination out of this group, because he really did do a fine job! Out of all of them, he gets the most attention, he really BECAME his character, and he did it with STYLE!

Smile

=======

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 7:46am

Post #37 of 45 (248 views)
Shortcut
No self-cannabalisation. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit actors have no shot to get nominated... people are fooling themselves if they think they have a chance.

That is why there was no need deciding on whom to concentrate, as Oscar contenders often do.

The studios organize the award campaigns... WB surely knows their propsects at actor nominations for Bot5A.

This way they can simply say: look, what a great ensemble we have (many studios push for an Emsemble Oscar for years already).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 21 2014, 7:47am)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 7:50am

Post #38 of 45 (246 views)
Shortcut
Nothing to do with the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is strictly about the movies.

And there Tauriel and Legolas have much much more scenes that need character acting - not arguing whether they do a good job or not (lilly did, imho... a really great job). But they do have such scenes.

Cumberbatch is voicing two characters, did a little moc-cap for Sauron and reference material (not even real mo-cap, if I am not mistaken) for Smaug.

Since not even performances such as Serkis' Gollum or Caesar are deemed Oscar-worthy, yet, how on earth could Cumberbatch have any hope (he will probably be a front-runner for Best Actor im Imitation Game nevertheless, though).

It has nothing to do with what is "important" from a book or lore point of view.

Especially Tauriel was important in DoS and will probably play an important role in Bot5A. That is a movie reality - whether one likes it or not. ANd that is all that matters for awards.

But we do not need to argue ofer it - none of them ever had any chance of being nominated for Bot5A. None.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 21 2014, 7:53am)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 8:26am

Post #39 of 45 (237 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

Just realized that both my posts somehow sound aggressive... that was not my intention.

I seem to be in a bad mood today Laugh

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 10:12am

Post #40 of 45 (224 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks. I was under the impression more like what you say:

The studios organize the award campaigns... WB surely knows their propsects at actor nominations for Bot5A.

This way they can simply say: look, what a great ensemble we have (many studios push for an Emsemble Oscar for years already).

idk, to me, even if it was a feint, I'd think they would make at least a half-decent attempt at making a decent one, rather than name all the major players cos it just seem so awkward as it is. So I guess when they're horsing around, they are horsing around TongueSly

=======

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 11:30am

Post #41 of 45 (222 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

There are no likely prospects of nominations or wins in the major categories (as far as we can tell without seeing the film).

But more to the point "canonicity" has not the slightest connection to this or bookmarks or T-shirts or anything similar.

The voters for the Oscars are exceptionally unliekly to even know which characters are canon or not and even less likely to care. And more to the point, it would be rather unfair if they did!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 12:16pm

Post #42 of 45 (217 views)
Shortcut
No problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tonally not a problem for me. I am also not in too great a mood today but I still need to get on here and post... so I understand.Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 12:17pm

Post #43 of 45 (217 views)
Shortcut
Yup! Would be strange [In reply to] Can't Post

if the books measure in any way on the movie awards

=======

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 10:08pm

Post #44 of 45 (205 views)
Shortcut
Thing is, though.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoever wrote the list must surely know what's happening in the film, so presumably they do know who has given a really good performance, and who had a really demanding role. We can only judge on the previous films

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 22 2014, 3:52pm

Post #45 of 45 (189 views)
Shortcut
Hope so... but yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Whoever wrote the list must surely know what's happening in the film, so presumably they do know who has given a really good performance, and who had a really demanding role.

I chose to believe that tooSmile

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.