Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does anyone else wish there was a 4 film...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 9:03am

Post #26 of 39 (430 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

If someone really wanted to make money they could treat it like a Marvel universe. Just give every remotely important character their own movie. Aragorn Begins. Thorin. The Amazing Thranduil. Sauron Rises. Captain Gondor. Green Leaf, and of course Guardians of the Middle-Earth.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 9:38am

Post #27 of 39 (418 views)
Shortcut
No ONE wantz it to End?... [In reply to] Can't Post

BUT the STORY
of.. YOUR Love of..Tolkien
...DOES NOT END here..

It will go on & on
down the long EAST road

DAILY.. for the rest of
Your
YEARS.., if
YOU.. want it to...?

bom speaks from 46 years of eXperience
Christmas 1966-to Christmas 2014

"Once Tolkien Takes Hold
MiddleEARTH never letz go.."

"That iz a Promise BOMBY means to Keep"

A promise bomby made to Gandalf
many ages ago..

YOU opened a little book once...
Where did it take YOU?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 11:30am

Post #28 of 39 (391 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, why not? Or Shagrat & Gorbag in Dude, Where's My Scimitar? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a lot of hidden potential.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

adt100
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 12:01pm

Post #29 of 39 (389 views)
Shortcut
In hindsight, 6 films, as based on the 6 books of LOTR, would have been perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

Each one at probably around the 2 1/2hr mark. The reality is that this would never have got the green light though unfortunately. In the future though, who knows, after all, the Harry Potter books achieved it.

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 12:03pm

Post #30 of 39 (383 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
TH, however, has already been stretched too much.

True. I'm a firm believer that with less time (and a smaller budget) we'd have ended up with more disciplined, better films. Two would have been plenty. Plenty.

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Oct 20 2014, 12:11pm)

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 12:07pm

Post #31 of 39 (384 views)
Shortcut
Please, no: leave the Appendices alone [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
there's material in the LOTR appendices that could be used to inspire a movie or few.

You see, this frightens me. A lot. Just look at how much deviation, exaggeration and downright fabrication we've been treated to when there actually was a text on which to base these Hobbit films! God alone knows what films "inspired" by the sketchy outlines of the Appendices would end up like!!

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Oct 20 2014, 12:19pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 2:22pm

Post #32 of 39 (362 views)
Shortcut
This (or nothing)... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This will indeed be PJ:s last visit to ME, but hopefully another filmmaker will pick up the thread and make some of the ME stories that we still haven't seen come to life. There are some parts from the appendices that could be adapted into screenplays (Rise of the Witch King, Aragorn Begins, War in the North).

I think there is enough material in the LotR Appendices to support an Aragorn film, and that such a project could be commercially successful. I'm not as certain about other projects based on the Appendices; however, I may be just underestimating the potential.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 6:03pm

Post #33 of 39 (316 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to have more films on the way. I'm going to miss the discussions here, all the speculations and discoveries and news.

But, ah well, it's been a wonderful journey, it has.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 20 2014, 6:23pm

Post #34 of 39 (326 views)
Shortcut
Sorry,i do not see any of these [In reply to] Can't Post

you mention and i would change the word fabrication with embellishment.All i see is a vast improvement over the pretty poor and occasionally badly written source material the movies are based on.The source material left so much to the imagination of its readers, people had more of a set idea about it than they had on books where there's more definition to that, but that of course also means by necessity that making a film out of it will force the filmmakers to show their own interpretation.And this is definitely not a bad thing.On the contrary it makes it more intriguing than sticking to a pretty boring book.

So,if a talented filmaker decides to adapt any of the Appendices on the near or distant future i won't be frightened at all.I am confident thought that they would end up pretty goodI love to see different interpretations than the ones i am used to.The only thing that would really terrify me is,if a subordinate or less talented director and crew decided to film something concerning Middle Earth.That would be my worst nightmare.

Thank God,the Appendices are greatly fleshed out in the Return of the King book.Here, there is an actual and mature text with many details,something the Hobbit book tremendously lacked of.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Oct 20 2014, 6:26pm)

delius82
Rivendell

Oct 21 2014, 1:36am

Post #35 of 39 (292 views)
Shortcut
Interesting, the reaction to my post.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant it sincerely. :) I guess we'll have to see if The Silmarillion ever comes about.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:55am

Post #36 of 39 (289 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 2:12pm

Post #37 of 39 (270 views)
Shortcut
I still want those War in the North movies - [In reply to] Can't Post

- though perhaps showing more than the events of the Appendices. (and I really want to see Orcrist play it's part as Thorin's legacy to his people).

A Witch-King series would be good too, showing his rise to his defeat at the hands of the Men of the North. He could be depicted as a more 'human' foe at first, perhaps opposed by the likes of Arvedui and Malbeth, gradually being revealed to be not just an ambitious, scheming individual out for his own gain, but the servant of an even darker power.

Not all Middle-Earth movies have to be about the world being in peril, though.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 5:22pm

Post #38 of 39 (262 views)
Shortcut
I think there's already too much extra stuff in DoS the way it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

by a good 45 minutes. I don't even want to think what they would have come up with to fill another whole film!

Danielos
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 5:58am

Post #39 of 39 (250 views)
Shortcut
Three movies = good, four movies = great [In reply to] Can't Post

I donīt consider the idea of four Hobbit movies that ludicruous. Even with thee long movies many parts are quite rushed (goblin cave, Beorn, Mirkwood, Woodland Realm), shallow and badly developed (Necromancer subplot, most of the dwarves).

I wouldnīt mind four movies!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.