Come on in! It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 7:47pm

Post #76 of 99 (527 views)
Shortcut
I've been thinking about that [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I've wanted to start an Etsy shop (mostly knits, crochet, and the occasional jewelry) for awhile, I've just been lacking time work up a good inventory. Since everyone likes the ear cuffs so much, I'll definitely try to include them. Right now my biggest concern is quality consistency. The cuff I entered in the State Fair was the first one I've ever made and I was so worried the second one wouldn't turn out the same that I only entered the one and made the other cuff after I got the first one back. The second one turned out fine though. I'll have to make a few more pairs to be sure I can keep them consistent, and then I'll be ready to work out trying to sell them.

Re sizing: Your idea about having people cast a mold for their ears is interesting. I hadn't thought about it before, but it would be nice to be able to do something like that so I can make people cuffs that really fit them. Hmmm...I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks!Smile

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 7:51pm

Post #77 of 99 (529 views)
Shortcut
Selling at cons [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooooh, I hadn't even thought about having a booth at a con! That would be really cool!Cool

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 7:52pm

Post #78 of 99 (525 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Kim! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 7:54pm

Post #79 of 99 (522 views)
Shortcut
Lol, thanks dernwyn! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 12:38am

Post #80 of 99 (526 views)
Shortcut
I hope sunday night finds you [In reply to] Can't Post

passing to the upside of this thing. What was your fever and how is it now Darkstone? Are you going to work or are you smartly taking a week off?
I am getting a flu shot. That's it. I can't fool around with those lung infections i get.

Hope you are feeling human again.

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 12:41am

Post #81 of 99 (528 views)
Shortcut
*Eyes open* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey CG what kind of bike did you spring for? I have not ridden since springUnimpressed
Happy riding!

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 12:45am

Post #82 of 99 (526 views)
Shortcut
How long was the power out? [In reply to] Can't Post

What caused that?

— J.R.R. Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 20 2014, 1:16am

Post #83 of 99 (526 views)
Shortcut
About 3 hours [In reply to] Can't Post

It was funny. I called the power company hotline at 6:30, which said they expected power to be back on by 7:15. At 8:05 they called back with a notification, that they expected the power to be back on by...7:15? Someone forget to update the notification!

No idea what caused it, it only affected about 400 customers (and knocked out the school email system). Fortunately hubby's school has a generator!

Are you getting a generator for the new cabin?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 20 2014, 1:17am

Post #84 of 99 (528 views)
Shortcut
Hey, that's a great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a work laptop which I keep at home, I could have brought that to the table! I've got to remember that, for next time! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 20 2014, 1:22am

Post #85 of 99 (528 views)
Shortcut
Again? [In reply to] Can't Post

You won again? Congrats!

Hasn't this been the most lovely weekend? Crisp air, enough breeze to bring flurries of leave down off the trees! Son and I were out in the woods paths this afternoon, soaking it all in. A feast for the eyes! Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 20 2014, 1:23am

Post #86 of 99 (524 views)
Shortcut
And yet another one [In reply to] Can't Post

prepares to leave the nest...Evil What sort of studies is he considering?

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 1:46am

Post #87 of 99 (528 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Master sil sit on bike generator.
Nope. Got woodstove and NO sump pump. Got underground everything in the community too.

No work-on-house work. Plenty time make woodpileWink.

Maybe a transformer blew its top. It rained there hard and that'll do it.

— J.R.R. Tolkien

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2014, 1:53am

Post #88 of 99 (525 views)
Shortcut
Teaching or counseling [In reply to] Can't Post

Teaching secondary school history/social sciences or counseling in the schools or in the community.

I think he would do well in either. He likes to help the younger scouts in his patrol learn new things. His leadership/teaching style is different from the other older scouts in the troop. Smaller, more timid scouts tend to gravitate to him. He's a good listener and he has a caring heart.

It will be interesting to see where he will end up. Evil

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 2:00am

Post #89 of 99 (529 views)
Shortcut
Quite a few trees here [In reply to] Can't Post

have not turned but with the 30's tonight that'll do it. Maybe get a shot in or two tomorrow. We did notice quite a few 'Burning bush' trees (small) with those pink leaves on the woodland path here behind us.

I just squeaked into No.10 on top 10 Master's times (those 40 and over). That was a big surprize!

I am waiting for the beeches to turn yellow. The lack of rain this summer won't bring a stellar fall color but let's see what happens the next few days. One more big blow and that'll do it tooUnimpressed.

— J.R.R. Tolkien

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 3:59am

Post #90 of 99 (520 views)
Shortcut
A little more color... [In reply to] Can't Post

and a hazy distance shot like a New England primitive.

This weekend was excellent!

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 20 2014, 10:26am

Post #91 of 99 (511 views)
Shortcut
"The townlands were rich, [In reply to] Can't Post

with wide tilth and many orchards, and homesteads there were with oast and garner, fold and byre, and many rills rippling through the green from the highlands down to Anduin."

Lovely scene - and magnificent colors! Autumn is a feast for the eyes. Thanks, EoPW!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 1:17pm

Post #92 of 99 (514 views)
Shortcut
A "Specialized" bike [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is a strange name for a major brand, but anyway, I got their Sirrus bike http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/sirrus . I tried out several, and that was the one that said, "this is it, take me home," like a puppy.

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 2:55pm

Post #93 of 99 (508 views)
Shortcut
Specialized is a good bike. [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of pro triathletes like it. Did you get a regular road or touring model with the 3 sprockets up front? Upon trying several out, what was it that made you decide on that one? Being really important most dealers offer free fitting with a new bike. Did you take advantage of that?

I have had the same Nishiki bike for over 25 years which is not made anymore. It is chrome moly, very durable but quite heavy with todays standards. Perhaps when moving south i will spring for one myself. Easiest way to lose 10-15lbs:)

— J.R.R. Tolkien

Annael
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 2:59pm

Post #94 of 99 (502 views)
Shortcut
I've had a Specialized since the 1980s [In reply to] Can't Post

The earlier version of their Cross-bred. Still going strong.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 20 2014, 3:04pm)

Annael
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 3:06pm

Post #95 of 99 (499 views)
Shortcut
I think that's where your target audience will be! [In reply to] Can't Post

But you'll need to build up quite a bit of inventory first because I betcha they'll go fast.

Also, I suspect you can command higher prices at a con than at a street fair.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 5:12pm

Post #96 of 99 (492 views)
Shortcut
In bed all Sunday. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gone to work today. It's all draining and I sound disgusting. No customer interaction for me!

I'd stay home but I feel guilty enough about the two days last week and all those days with the afib in April.

Besides, it's getting near December and there are all those year-end government reports and next year's industrial permits to start work on.

Thanks for your concern! Stiil don't feel quite human, but then I've always felt like a Neanderthal in a Cro-Magnon world! Smile

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 5:41pm

Post #97 of 99 (496 views)
Shortcut
Well, i dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

Still don't feel quite human, but then I've always felt like a Neanderthal in a Cro-Magnon world! Smile

Oh yea, somehow that just does not fit the picture, at all, of how i envision you or know you to be. You are more heady, refined and grounded than anyone I've come to know.

If that persona fits anyone around these here parts it is me, but then we all actually have a bit of that genome. It is just more obvious in some folksUnimpressed

Get well, take a nap. Don't kiss wifey.

— J.R.R. Tolkien

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 11:23pm

Post #98 of 99 (476 views)
Shortcut
That's an old bike! [In reply to] Can't Post

My old Gary Fisher kept having things go wrong, so I figured it was time for a new one after 8-10 years. I had no idea they could last decades.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 11:30pm

Post #99 of 99 (501 views)
Shortcut
I got the hybrid [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't do any trail riding anymore, so I got road tires but went with the wide handlebars because I don't have to hunch over as much like with curled road bars. They're a good shop and fitted it for me.

What made it seem like "the one?" Just the feel while riding it. And it feels different than my Gary Fisher, so it wasn't familiarity, but just felt right. I think I was Goldilocks feeling the other bikes were too this or too that, or not enough of something, but the Specialized Sirrus Elite felt right in all respects. Still does after breaking it in over the weekend.

25 years is incredible. Have you had to do any major rebuilds, or just replace wearables like brake pads? I normally use anything (clothes, appliances, etc) until it falls apart, and now I'm thinking I should have given my decade-old bike a longer life (well, I still have it). But I buy bikes on the lower end of the price scale, so maybe it's the higher end ones that last long?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.