Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
26 Great Forgotten Words - what's your favorite?

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 17 2014, 1:58pm

Post #1 of 21 (711 views)
Shortcut
26 Great Forgotten Words - what's your favorite? Can't Post

I loved this list of words on Huff Post in honor of Dictionary Day, and much to my own surprise, I even knew a couple of them already (thank you, Georgette Heyer). I think my personal favorite has to be "fopdoodle" which sounds like something fun from a children's book, but I can't help but wonder what certain political people could do with "obambulate". Enjoy.

AFTER-WISE (adj.)
Defined by Webster as "wise afterwards or too late" -- or in other words, the perfect term for describing that feeling of knowing exactly what you should have said (or done) after the opportunity to say it (or do it) has passed you by. Other useful after- words on Webster's list were after-game (a subsequent scheme or plan), after-supper (the time between supper and going to bed), and after-tossing (the rolling of the sea after a storm has passed).

BABBLEMENT (n.)
"Senseless prattle" or "unmeaning words," according to Webster. To twattle, incidentally, is to gossip or chatter.

CYCOPEDE
Cycopede is all but unique to Webster, who defined it as both a variation of cyclopedia (as in encyclopedia), and as a term for the entire "circle of human knowledge."

DAGGLE-TAIL (adj.)
As a verb, to daggle is "to befoul" or "dirty", or more specifically, "to trail in mud or wet grass". The adjective daggle-tail ultimately describes someone "having the lower ends of garments defiled with mud."

EAR-ERECTING (adj.)
Another of Webster's clever compound adjectives, this time describing any sound that "sets up the ears".

FOPDOODLE (n.)
The perfect name for "an insignificant fellow" -- Webster described this word as "vulgar and not used."

GASTRILOQUIST (n.)
An old-fashioned word for a ventriloquist, or as Webster explains, "one who so modified his voice that it seems to come from another person or place."

HUGGER-MUGGER (n.)
On the rare occasions when hugger-mugger appears in modern English, it's typically used to describe a state of noisy confusion or uproar. According to Webster, however, it was a "low cant word" synonymous with privacy or clandestineness -- doing something in hugger-mugger, he explained, meant doing it in absolute secrecy.

ILLAQUEATION (n.)
A formal word for "the act of ensnaring; a catching or entrapping."

JACKPUDDING (n.)
A jackpudding is a "merry-andrew" or "a zany" according to Webster -- in other words, a joker who acts the fool to make other people laugh.

KISSING-CRUST (n.)
As loaves of bread expand in the oven as they're cooked, a kissing-crust forms when they spread so far that they touch.

LONGINQUITY (n.)
Derived from the Latin word for distance, longinquity is a formal word for remoteness or isolation, or for any vast distance in space or time.

MAFFLE (v.)
To stammer or stumble on your words. To faffel means the same thing.

NUNCUPATORY (adj.)
If something is nuncupatory then it exists in name only. The word can also be used to describe a verbal rather than written agreement.

OBAMBULATE (v.)
Literally means "to walk about." The horseback equivalent, incidentally, is to obequitate -- or "to ride about."

PACKTHREAD (n.)
The strong string or twine used to wrap parcels? That's packthread.

QUADRIN (n.)
A quadrin was old copper coin, which Webster explains was "in value [worth] about a farthing". Its name can also be used figuratively of any tiny amount of something, or an insignificant amount of cash.

RAKESHAME (n.)
"A vile, dissolute wretch" -- also known as a rampallion, a scroyle, a runnion, a pander, a cullion and (if they seem destined to a life of crime) a crack-rope.

SHEEP-BITE (v.)
To sheep-bite is "to practice petty thefts" according to Webster. Some of his other criminally underused S-words include scantle ("to divide into small pieces"), scranch ("to grind with the teeth"), stalactical ("resembling an icicle"), squabbish ("thick, fat, heavy") and stramash ("to beat," "to destroy"). Less useful is sniggle, defined as "to fish for eels by thrusting the bait into their holes."

TARDIGRADOUS (adj.)
"Slow-paced; moving or stepping slowly."

UPTRAIN (v.)
To uptrain is "to educate" -- literally "to train up."

VERNATE (v.)
Derived from the Latin word for the spring, to vernate is "to become young again."

WRANGLESOME (adj.)
To wrangle is "to dispute angrily" or "to involve in contention," according to Webster. So if you're wranglesome, then you're "quarrelsome and contentious."

XEROPHAGY (n.)
Xerophagy is "the eating of dry meats," according to Webster, who described the practice as "a sort of fast among the primitive Christians." In all, he listed just 13 words under X in his dictionary - which is 13 more than Samuel Johnson, who instead stated that "X is a letter which, though found in Saxon words, begins no word in the English language."

YOKE-MATE (n.)
Also called a yoke-fellow, a yoke-mate is "an associate or companion."

ZUFFOLO (n.)
Z fairs slightly better than X in Webster's dictionary, with a total of 85 entries in all. A zuffolo, he explains, is "a little flute... especially that which is used to teach birds."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...words_b_5985494.html

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

(This post was edited by Elarie on Oct 17 2014, 2:00pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 4:37pm

Post #2 of 21 (573 views)
Shortcut
Too bad "tomnoddy" from The Hobbit didn't make the list. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like "hugger-mugger," but it makes me think of some emotional, apologetic thief who steals from you, then gives you a hug to brighten up your day to compensate.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 4:44pm

Post #3 of 21 (564 views)
Shortcut
Hehehe! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I like "hugger-mugger," but it makes me think of some emotional, apologetic thief who steals from you, then gives you a hug to brighten up your day to compensate.

Kim
Valinor

Oct 17 2014, 5:02pm

Post #4 of 21 (566 views)
Shortcut
These are great [In reply to] Can't Post

Bookmarking for our next round of Mad Libs. Laugh

I can definitely get a lot of use with "After-wise". Crazy

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 17 2014, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 21 (560 views)
Shortcut
I may get some good use out of rakeshame and its synonyms. [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anybody here listen to "Says You" on public radio? That's where I learned almost everything I know about odd words.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 17 2014, 8:40pm

Post #6 of 21 (552 views)
Shortcut
LOL - Hugger-Mugger: [In reply to] Can't Post

What Nori does after he steals from Bilbo

Have you hugged your hobbit today? Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 11:30pm

Post #7 of 21 (565 views)
Shortcut
*furrows brow* [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no memory of any of these words.

Well, I have heard hugger-mugger before, but thought it was invented for effect by some 20th Century author, or maybe regional slang, meaningless to "outsiders".

Perhaps these fell out of use because few give any hint as to what they might mean or be related to? For instance obambulate has a familiar root, as does babblement... but the rest, oi, it's as if they were made late, out of thin air, and died shortly thereafter... kissing-crust can be reasoned out; but really, even in baking cultures would it be a very useful word?

Thanks for sharing this Elarie.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 17 2014, 11:32pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 2:54am

Post #8 of 21 (533 views)
Shortcut
After-Wise. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that! I might use it! It sort of reminds me of the expression 'carriage wit'. I don't remember when I hear it, (Poem film) but the definition given was: 'The act or ability of thinking of a clever rmark after one has left a social party.' and presumably driving home in a carriage.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 19 2014, 3:03pm

Post #9 of 21 (521 views)
Shortcut
Haha! I thought the very same thing, Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure Darkstone is also taking notes given his fondness for obscure verbiage. Cool

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 19 2014, 3:37pm

Post #10 of 21 (520 views)
Shortcut
Forgive me if I maffle my sheer pleasure in being uptrained by this cycopede of quaint, old words, my yoke-mate, Elarie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to wonder if the Tardigradous was Dr. Who's first, and quickly discarded, prototype for the Tardis Wink

Don't know that I could narrow down just one word from this list as a favorite since so many tickle me. Sometimes the actual meaning of the word seems strongly suggested, sometimes not. For instance, I would have thought "gastriloquist" would have been a fitting word for Bombur, someone who speaks through their stomach, LOL.

Aragorn's original alias: Obambulator. Gotta admit, it's not as sexy as Strider (or even Longshanks!)

Would Radagast have a zuffalo hidden in one of his mysterious pockets?

Funny that "kissing-crust" uses a hyphen when making it compound, like rakeshame, seems much for fitting to its definition. Cool

I'm not being a jackpudding of babblement when I say these wonderful new old words make my gray cells vernate! Thanks so much for this post, Elarie, and the link. It would be great if we could make this a monthly feature. Smile

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 19 2014, 4:31pm

Post #11 of 21 (510 views)
Shortcut
Daggle-tail for me, thanks for sharing // [In reply to] Can't Post

... on the other side of tomorrow...

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 19 2014, 10:23pm

Post #12 of 21 (505 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Bravo [In reply to] Can't Post

A very nice, ear-erecting vernating of these nuncupatory expressions. And I got more than a quadrin of fun from Aragorn's new name. Hmmm....

Gandalf Greyhame, Thorin Oakenshield, Grima Wormtongue, Aragorn Obambulator....

These Middle Earth names sure have a nice rhythm to them!
Smile

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 20 2014, 1:06am

Post #13 of 21 (502 views)
Shortcut
Haha, one could say all good words deserve a little embellishment ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Elarie. It seems we speak the same after-wise language!

(This post was edited by The Grey Elf on Oct 20 2014, 1:12am)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 2:08pm

Post #14 of 21 (495 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I came across a use of "babblements" in John Milton's Of Education:

I deem it to be an old errour of Universities not yet well recover’d from the
Scholastick grossness of barbarous ages, that in stead of beginning with Arts
most easie, and those be such as are most obvious to the sence, they present
their young unmatriculated Novices at first comming with the most intellective
abstractions of Logick and Metapysicks: So that they having but
newly left those Grammatick flats and shallows where they stuck unreasonably to
learn a few words with lamentable construction, and now on the sudden
transported under another climate to be tost and turmoil’d with their
unballasted wits in fadomless and unquiet deeps of controversie, do for the most
part grow into hatred and contempt of Learning, mockt and deluded all this while
with ragged Notions and Babblements, while they expected worthy and delightful
knowledge.

(Somehow I suspect John Milton would consider my wits unballasted! Wink)

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2014, 3:02pm

Post #15 of 21 (485 views)
Shortcut
I'm feelin' a bit "ragged" after parsing that [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha, no wonder you're unballasted, Riven Delve! Wink

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 3:19pm

Post #16 of 21 (484 views)
Shortcut
It's all my own fault [In reply to] Can't Post

for not getting a classical education. Clearly I am a tardigradous fopdoodle. Wink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2014, 3:42pm

Post #17 of 21 (485 views)
Shortcut
I think "Babblement" really deserves to brought back into common use [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I'll start using it in conversation (as I babble on about the cute things my cats do Smile ) I just wish there was a way to make it flash across people's TV screens during those "breaking news" broadcasts when the actual information takes about 30 seconds to tell and the next two hours is just "blah blah blah". Or better yet, during political speeches. I took a symbolic logic course in college where we broke down speeches to see how much actual information was in them and it was hilarious! Babblement, babblement, babblement! Tongue

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2014, 4:13pm

Post #18 of 21 (484 views)
Shortcut
What you said, Elarie! : D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 4:33pm

Post #19 of 21 (490 views)
Shortcut
You are so right [In reply to] Can't Post

although I would prefer the word "twaddle" in such situations, not least because of its pejorative connotation. Angelic

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2014, 7:09pm

Post #20 of 21 (485 views)
Shortcut
I also kinda like "folderol" [In reply to] Can't Post

What does it say about humanity that we historically have so many different words for BS? Cool

sherlock
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 4:37pm

Post #21 of 21 (483 views)
Shortcut
I like Wranglesome [In reply to] Can't Post

I know some people who are wranglesome.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.