Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Questions: Who is Lor? And who made the Hobbits?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 18 2014, 1:19pm

Post #26 of 29 (180 views)
Shortcut
It gets meta and existential [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The passing of the Third Age marks the beginning of the Age of Men. This is significant because it not only represents the decline and eventual disappearance of the other races of Middle-earth, but also because Men have a fundamentally different outlook from the older races. Even the Dwarves tended to take a longer view as evidenced by Gimli's remarks about how he would approach the project of the Glittering Caves.

But well-said. I am quite taken with the difference between Men's psyche and the older races.
Sorry that that's all I can say Evil but really well-said, and a great point.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XVIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 18 2014, 1:21pm

Post #27 of 29 (186 views)
Shortcut
*stunned stare... ... slow blink... slow thought... slow clap* [In reply to] Can't Post

Elthir, you have killed it! What.A.Revelation!HeartLaughSly

Thank you, thank you so much!

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XVIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 18 2014, 1:26pm

Post #28 of 29 (201 views)
Shortcut
*cough* Well, Faramir did call it first [In reply to] Can't Post

when he reached his accord with Frodo. Angelic

In Reply To
As a Servant of the Secret Fire, Sam outranked Gandalf, which is why he could tell him "Lor bless you," and that's why he allowed Gandalf as the underling to tackle the Balrog in Moria first, to get some training. If Gandalf hadn't messed up the whole job, Sam would have finished off the beast properly.

Shire Gardener: epitome of honourSmile

Of course Gandalf botched. He's just too trippy, in all senses of the wordFrown

=======

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 1:02am

Post #29 of 29 (261 views)
Shortcut
Recently began reading Fellowship again -- [In reply to] Can't Post

it's been years since the last time.

Sam's "Lor bless..." jumped out at me, but then so did Bilbo's mothballs. On the other hand, I've also noticed that few pages pass without some echo of scripture therein.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.