Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 1:40am

Post #26 of 38 (306 views)
Shortcut
Some great ones there! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had totally forgotten The Onedin Line, but we watched that almost obsessively when it was on PBS back in the day. Where did you find it?

Fawlty Towers was great at first, but became kind of repetitive after a few shows.

I should try to find the others you mention.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 2:29pm

Post #27 of 38 (307 views)
Shortcut
TV?????????????????????????????????? [In reply to] Can't Post

My TV provider is a 30' antenna...

...which makes watching online sometimes difficult (log in your TV provider)... Comcast: Evil Overlord.

So I move to the next Evil Overlord: Amazon, where I find Dr. Who watchable for 1.99 an episode.

Worth... it... every... penny.

I am not quite a Newvian (those newbies who are suddenly all over this classic show), I have been aware of the series since my first forays into fandom in the early 80s. I just haven't had the connections (cable, BBC, whatever) to watch it regularly unless I descended upon friends and shanghaied their TV.

Impressed. Love Peter Capaldi. Classic slightly crotchety old wizard.

Wait... he's slightly younger than me...

(pulls out walking stick, baps idiot youth upside the head, sics service pony on morons of the world)...

Me? Crotchety?

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 19 2014, 4:03pm

Post #28 of 38 (295 views)
Shortcut
both the eps I missed aired last night, yay [In reply to] Can't Post

I do wish that the film-makers would not follow the script of the British version so exactly. When they took "State of Play" and made it into a movie for Americans, they changed things to fit the country and so, even though I'd seen the story done, it kept my interest up. But this version of "Broadchurch" is so slavishly faithful to the original that I'm kinda bored. The main thing keeping my interest up is trying to decide just what kind of American accent Tennant is going for. There's shades of New Jersey in there at times, other times it's Midwestern, with a bit of West Coast. I feel like I should know the American actor he's imitating, but it's not coming to me.

I know American accents sound flat compared to British ones but most British actors go too far and sound harsh, and so you can tell it's a Brit trying to sound American. Kiwi & Ozzie actors as a rule seem able to speak in an American accent without doing that. No doubt Tolkien could have told us why.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 19 2014, 4:06pm)

Kim
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 5:40pm

Post #29 of 38 (285 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's so much like the original, I feel like I'm just watching the same thing again, and then David Tennant speaks and his accent always jars me, and like you, haven't quite figured out what he's going for. I was actually debating if I would stick with it, but I've heard the ending is different, so might be worth it.

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Kim
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 5:48pm

Post #30 of 38 (287 views)
Shortcut
Closed Circuit [In reply to] Can't Post

This movie with Eric Bana came out last year about a couple of defense attorneys assigned to defend a suspected terrorist after a bombing in London. Kind of a cross between Spooks/MI-5 and The Escape Artist, I found it pretty interesting, with some good twists and turns.

Also been keeping up with the usual suspects Once Upon a Time, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, Agents of SHIELD, and Forever. So, mostly fun/light stuff good for decompressing after a long day at work.

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 7:36pm

Post #31 of 38 (282 views)
Shortcut
the faithfulness [In reply to] Can't Post

might be the reason this production is not doing as well in the ratings.

I too felt it was oh so similar.... decided to spend my viewing time elsewhere.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 7:49pm

Post #32 of 38 (284 views)
Shortcut
It almost feels like a game of how many characters can we fit [In reply to] Can't Post

Not can we make the whole plot work or can we flesh these fairy tale characters out to make "real" people.... just how many ... committees makes sense.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Oct 19 2014, 8:03pm

Post #33 of 38 (279 views)
Shortcut
same [In reply to] Can't Post

Other than different actors and character names, it feels like an exact copy of Broadchurch --even the way they filmed it, many shots are exactly the same. I was hoping it wouldn't be so so similar, but as you said, the ending is different so I'm trying to stick with it and hope there are more changes as it goes on.

Keep smiling! Smile

"Do not spoil the wonder with haste!" Tolkien

"Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth." Satre

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 22 2014, 12:39am

Post #34 of 38 (274 views)
Shortcut
Fury [In reply to] Can't Post

It's your usual war-is-hell story with all the expected clichés and tropes, but the story is well told.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 23 2014, 6:33pm

Post #35 of 38 (257 views)
Shortcut
Incredible Dr. Pol [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been trying to watch some of the episodes on YouTube since I don't get the Natl Geographic Wild channel. It's so bizarre to watch him on the show because he's been my vet for over 10 years! He's fantastic and is passionate about helping animals.

I was there one day with Puddifoot (my dog) when they were filming. Doc was so upset when he came into the room... fuming mad! Someone had brought in her very small dog (pug-type), and it was shivering uncontrollably. He said someone had left down an electronic cigarette, and the dog age it. "What do you think happens when something that size eats straight nicotine!" he growled. "Stupid people!!!!"

After my appointment, I came out to my hobbity (license plate) truck, and all the film crew were leaning up against it waiting for the word to start filming again. "Is this your truck?" one of the cameramen chirped.

"Yep! Now it's time for me to Escape in my Ford."

They all laughed and stepped aside. A few weeks later, I saw Dr. Pol at the grocery store. "How's your dog!?"
"She's great! All better!! Thanks Doc!" He smiled and waved as he stridered away.

Doc Pol is the real deal :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 24 2014, 12:04pm

Post #36 of 38 (246 views)
Shortcut
Cherry Tobacco and The Judge [In reply to] Can't Post

Cherry Tobacco - an Estonian film about a girl who falls in love with an older man. Sweet and honest, despite being a little rough around the edges. Loaded with gorgeous nature shots. IMDb page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3776402/.

The Judge - well-acted and emotional, though not the most original of stories.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 12:05pm

Post #37 of 38 (247 views)
Shortcut
Gone Girl [In reply to] Can't Post

Best movie of the year so far.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 4:50pm

Post #38 of 38 (257 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I like that show, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

How cool that he is your vet?
I like watching veterinary shows to see how others do things. For example, I think he's completely bonkers for palpating cows without their being in a squeeze chute.
Or pulling calves without a squeeze chute...
Or castrating bulls without a squeeze chute...
Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.