Ta da! It's the Tuesday reading thread!

Annael
Immortal

Oct 14 2014, 3:08pm

Post #1 of 6 (199 views)
Shortcut
Ta da! It's the Tuesday reading thread! Can't Post

And what are you reading this week?

I finally caved and bought the first of Jim Butcher's "Furies of Calderon" series. I've peeked into it before but not been gripped, but my brother loves the series so I am giving it a real try at last.

Also reading the second of Our Lily's Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron series, "The Murder Hole," set at Loch Ness.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

NottaSackville
Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 4:05pm

Post #2 of 6 (116 views)
Shortcut
A Night of Blacker Darkness [In reply to] Can't Post

This book was mentioned by Inferno a few months back, and I read it soon thereafter. It is completely hilarious in its idiocy, so much so that I'm now reading it aloud to my 13 & 11 year old daughters, who can't stop laughing. Kudos to the author Dan Wells.

I highly recommend checking out this book, it's literally laugh out loud funny, and it will definitely make you feel better about not being a vampire. Unless you are a vampire. Which you probably are, oh Great One!

Along with that, I'm still making my way through the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - Proven Guilty at the moment. I reported a few weeks ago that I was on that one, but well, I messed up which book I was currently reading, and NOW I'm on Proven Guilty.

Annael - I definitely recommend the Furies series. It might not be quite Dresden Files quality, but DEFINITELY worth the read in my opinion. Looking back at my Reading Thread posts on the books, I thought books 2 & 5 dragged some (2 much worse than 5 - it was definitely the worst of the series, but bad Butcher is still better than most), but 1, 3 & 4 had me riveted. The final book six was also very good.

Also - the series is the source of this super-cool and nerdy tidbit from wikipedia:

The inspiration for the series came from a bet Jim was challenged to while a member of the Delray Online Writer’s Workshop. The challenger bet that Jim could not write a good story based off of a lame idea, and Jim countered that he could do it using 2 lame idea’s of the challenger’s choosing. The “lame” ideas given were...

(Not giving away the lame ideas because I feel one of them is a bit spoilerish)

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

(This post was edited by NottaSackville on Oct 14 2014, 4:06pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 14 2014, 5:51pm

Post #3 of 6 (113 views)
Shortcut
"The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor" [In reply to] Can't Post

I got this on a whim. I like the TV show a lot (the season premiere was superb) and stumbled across this novel-form (no comics) backstory on the evil Governor character, so I figured why not. For escapist fiction, it's pretty good.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 14 2014, 6:32pm

Post #4 of 6 (108 views)
Shortcut
The Widow Cliquot [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a biography of the woman behind the Verve Cliquot champagne - but as there is vanishingly little information about her, it's more a history of the French revolution and how business people tried to get along during war, and the development of the Champagne region as a producer of premier wine. The author has made assumptions and discusses probabilities of what Cliquot faced a businesswoman given the environment she was in (socially, politically and economically). It's a really interesting read.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 14 2014, 11:46pm

Post #5 of 6 (102 views)
Shortcut
Still Woolf... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been taken away from it lately, but I'm still enjoying The Voyage Out. Love all of the literary references scattered everywhere in it.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 17 2014, 1:43am

Post #6 of 6 (89 views)
Shortcut
The Red Knight [In reply to] Can't Post

by Miles Cameron. Medieval fantasy set in alternate Europe where magic works, written by a medieval re-enactor. He's a competent but not great writer, and needs a better editor. Descriptions of armor and combat were excellent. Many writers study enough to use some of the terminology, while Cameron has clearly practiced the combat techniques of Fiore (14th century Italian swordmaster and writer). I often found myself nodding my head and thinking, "Yeah, that's what it's like."

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.