The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
For the Fili fans - Fan Art

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 13 2014, 4:44pm

Post #1 of 21 (1346 views)
Shortcut
For the Fili fans - Fan Art Can't Post

Personally I'm feeling mournful at not seeing more dwarf PR - well, there's Thorin but he's the king and all - but just love it when talented fans step in, and work with what they can *grins*

Holy HANDSOME Hair Heir Batman!!!TongueHeartCool

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Fili-Poster-The-Hobbit-Battle-of-Five-Armies-488197449

*THUD, THUD, THUD HeartHeartHeart

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Oct 13 2014, 8:12pm)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Oct 13 2014, 4:57pm

Post #2 of 21 (961 views)
Shortcut
Very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like a real poster. Looks great Wink thanks for sharing!

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Oct 13 2014, 4:58pm

Post #3 of 21 (961 views)
Shortcut
we need more Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

If Fili doesn't get the screen time he deserves in the last movie, I'm going to be pretty upset. I'm still bitter about them not including that moment with him and Thorin during the warg chase. Maybe the dialogue ended up being redundant after they changed the whole Azog storyline, but I guess we might never know why it really wasn't put back in.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Oct 13 2014, 4:58pm)

VValar
Gondor

Oct 13 2014, 5:00pm

Post #4 of 21 (955 views)
Shortcut
You nearly gave me a heart attack [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought this was the official releasing of the day. Phew, means we still have a great shot of getting Thranduil Pretty in about 10 min.

That being said, liking the fan made poster here, nicely done!!

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 13 2014, 5:02pm

Post #5 of 21 (934 views)
Shortcut
You are most welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was terrific work - I can do some stuff but turns out desaturating an image and doing a great job isn't so easy (at least for me) - I was fooling around with a Thranduil image and LOL his eyes ended up glowing neon blue, so I quit.

I thought this looked real too! And beautiful!HeartHeartHeart

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Oct 13 2014, 5:04pm

Post #6 of 21 (932 views)
Shortcut
Looks really awesome! Thanks for sharing, Avandel! [In reply to] Can't Post

This poster of Fili is amazing! Whoever made this poster did an amazing job - it looks very real. And Fili is special to me because I am an older sister and my relationship with my younger sister reminds me a lot of the bond between Fili and Kili. We are very, very close.Heart Fili is the kind of older sibling I would like to be, so I love the fact that the fandom gives him attention even though he sadly doesn't get enough screen time in the movies. (Hopefully that will change in the last film!)
I love seeing the creativity of the Middle-Earth fandom in cosplay and artwork. Fan art, whether creating it or simply admiring it, is a great way to pass the time until the movie is released in December. (I'm bracing myself for lots of sad Heirs of Durin tribute artwork after December, though...) :(
And while I've really enjoyed the banner and posters that have been released so far, I do agree that it would be nice to see more of the Dwarves on the promotional front. I think Fili and Kili at least should get a poster for the last movie as well. But it was very nice to see that they received equal attention on the banner for the Battle of the Five Armies, and Fili was even featured at the front. :)
All these Hobbit treats are wonderful during midterms right now. All the build-up makes me hopeful that we might see a trailer within a week or two. Bring on December with that Dwarvish armor!

(This post was edited by Holly Hobbit on Oct 13 2014, 5:11pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 13 2014, 5:09pm

Post #7 of 21 (926 views)
Shortcut
Ditto, ditto, ditto your entire post [In reply to] Can't Post

*Sigh* I fantasize that one day PJ will do a "master recut" one day and give us all the footage we know was shot and unused. Like the Fili/Thorin scene, and the trailer shot - or TV spot - where the company is on a cliff with the ponies - and evidently there was to be a line from Thorin after the Bilbo speech about taking Erebor back.

And if Fili isn't brought more forward, I will be upset, as the family dynamic has been a bit overlooked until DOS, and Dean showed real strength in his scenes. The PR seems to be suggesting at least the "Durins" will be major players, so I am cautiously optimistic. VERY cautiously. Unimpressed

Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 13 2014, 5:20pm

Post #8 of 21 (904 views)
Shortcut
can understand that [In reply to] Can't Post

but wouldn't have titled it that way! Cool

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Oct 13 2014, 5:30pm

Post #9 of 21 (904 views)
Shortcut
Just for a split second [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was for real...
But I had just posted Thranduil's so it was not meant to be, at least for today...
It rocks though...
Fili deserves more... I hope he'll get the consideration he deserves..

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 13 2014, 5:38pm

Post #10 of 21 (893 views)
Shortcut
You are welcome - I loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

Suspect - or know - some of these fan artists ARE professionals or students of graphic arts, depending. Just think it's very generous of some of them to put their work up - and they might just make a sale! SmileHeart

Agree with all who would like more dwarf time, more Heir of Durin time - I'm always frustrated reading the WETA books and knowing the quality of the actors, and yet all the character work and group relationships did not receive enough time in the films. Think Jeb Brophy kind of mentions that in the terrific series of interviews, being kind of the group in the back....and yet, I've never seen ANY of the dwarves not totally in the scene (sometimes in other films you can catch an actor sort of staring off and obviously out of character or bored!)

Happily tho w. DOS we had more Heirs, Dwalin LOL and the wonderful Balin. Of course there are things in BOFA I am going to find very hard, but I do hope the warrior and heir Fili steps into the spotlight (not to say I don't love Kili). I was not happy to hear about Bofur POSSIBLY having more of an expanded role, because my knee-jerk reaction was "WHAT ABOUT FILI!!!!!!"

But re Bofur that was just a remark from Philippa in an early article, and it may just be that he helps Bilbo. I can't think it wouldn't be Fili not leading his brother and the dwarves from Laketown - and they served as scouts for the group, so why would they not be very proactive? And only Fili, Kili, and Balin I think are of the "status" to actually argue with Thorin - so perhaps we will see some tension (not that that makes me happyFrown, but for the actors I imagine it is interesting to play).

PS. Eeuuw - good luck with those midterms - hold onto the courage of the Durins through all that Wink

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 13 2014, 6:20pm

Post #11 of 21 (873 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Avandel. [In reply to] Can't Post

You really got my hopes up that Fili was getting a real poster. Unsure I suppose that's just wishful thinking on my part, though. We won't be getting a poster of Fili this time around. Frown I can't remember from last year when each set of posters was released, but I hope they do have one of him and his brother before the film comes out. Perhaps there will be a later set of posters?

That said, the fan one you posted was beautiful. Heart He looks every inch the prince that he is.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 13 2014, 6:27pm

Post #12 of 21 (871 views)
Shortcut
I can see a strong resemblance to Thorin here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Great poster. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 13 2014, 6:46pm

Post #13 of 21 (861 views)
Shortcut
I am truly sorry but really I would have titled it differently [In reply to] Can't Post

Re the high interest. Tho this work is so good, it's another piece that might as well BE a pro job, and compared to some I think it is BETTER.

I'd put this on a wall, no problem. HeartHeartHeart

I think that another poster is correct tho, we are getting early releases and there WILL be more releases. IMO there NEEDS to be. And suspect or hope those will be amazing - HOPE!Unsure

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 13 2014, 6:46pm

Post #14 of 21 (860 views)
Shortcut
I like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not in the "tone" of the others, but it shows Fili's character as much or more than the official posters have done for their characters. Very fitting for the heir. Thanks for posting this, because I'm beginning to doubt that Fili will get an official poster. Unsure

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 13 2014, 6:50pm

Post #15 of 21 (853 views)
Shortcut
Ataaha could you plz add "Fan Art" to the title? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have time, please. I am feeling a bit bad reading these posts, tho think this work is so good it might as well be the "real thing"!

Thank you if you can, I will title more carefully in the future.Unsure

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 13 2014, 7:06pm

Post #16 of 21 (856 views)
Shortcut
and re the "gritty" treatment [In reply to] Can't Post

think the dwarves especially Fili and Kili would have been stunning. And it would have kind of dovetailed with Aidan Turner talking about how his character isn't the same after the healing, e.g. the loss of innocence and beginning to understand this is not fun any longer.

"in his heart he begins to understand..."Frown

BUT - there is ALWAYS hope Wink

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 13 2014, 8:13pm

Post #17 of 21 (836 views)
Shortcut
OK, and [In reply to] Can't Post

as you can see I've moved it to the Fan Art board.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 4:38am

Post #18 of 21 (799 views)
Shortcut
Don't feel bad! [In reply to] Can't Post

It just means we're all ticked at WB's marketing. They clearly don't know who the fans want to see. Who wouldn't want more of this? Tongue

After all, hairy is the new sexy. (Smart? That's so two years ago.) Wink Very OT, I know, but is he wearing eye shadow? Not saying men can't raid the makeup kit once in a while, but it's rather strange, if you ask me.

I'd put this on a wall, no problem.

So would I. Actually, I'd probably put any poster of him on a wall. Blush *ahem*

I certainly hope there will be new posters. After the two we got earlier (Bilbo and Bard), this set is lacking. They feel like they were put together in a rush. I like promo material as much as the next fan, but at least make it look classy and like some effort was put into it. Not every poster in this set was terrible, but they could have been better.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 14 2014, 6:03am

Post #19 of 21 (790 views)
Shortcut
Nice family resemblance. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some good fan art posters 'round these parts. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 14 2014, 3:10pm

Post #20 of 21 (821 views)
Shortcut
Far as I can tell 'round the net, people want more Fili! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hard to quantify just reading comments, but I've seen plenty on FB and different sites asking for more Fili! Well, how could we not? From the minute Fili showed up at Bag End there has just been this APPEAL about him (and of course, he is jaw-droppingly handsome - oh, Dean's smile...)

Great image - nice size so saving that. While I don't think in this image shoot the Durins were wearing eye makeup, and think it is just the way the light falls, I do think depending on the lighting a lot of the guys had a subtle touch of shadow or shadow as liner - especially in Mirkwood of course. But it's a suspicion, from scene to scene I couldn't point exactly WHERE, or how - and it me the makeup in this film has been outstanding re being so subtle.

These guys' eyes are beautiful for sure tho!HeartHeartHeart And one of the things I liked about this fan art is the artist kept Fili's eyes their wonderful blue shade (which goes so well with that rich, thick, hair - mmmm - and this shot Fili looks so NOBLE and fierce!)

I like promo material as much as the next fan, but at least make it look classy and like some effort was put into it. Not every poster in this set was terrible, but they could have been better.

Well, IMO Thorin, Bard, and Gandalf are pretty good. Funny thing with Thranduil's I saw a high res version of that, and it's not as 'shopped glossy as I thought. Now I wonder if the graphics person was working in high res and things looked great, but when you reduce a file as a .jpg online it may not look so goodUnsure. But yeah, think these are "quicky" jobs for the online fan community. Just hoping there is more PR where some CARE is put into the 'shopping - and I would not object to some truly gorgeous imag
e of the Heirs/dwarves.HeartHeartHeart

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 4:33am

Post #21 of 21 (767 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart *thud* is right! Heart I really love this poster. I can't believe this is fan made (it is fan made, right Crazy?).

Definitely need more Fili out there Evil!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.