It Comes in Print? I'm getting One.

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 11 2014, 12:18pm

Post #1 of 12 (614 views)
Shortcut
It Comes in Print? I'm getting One. Can't Post

You asked for it. We listened.

When TORn's new book, Middle-earth Madness, came out last month for Kindle and Nook, some fans were delighted, like Elizabeth Trogden who gives the books five stars at Amazon saying, "Just as the movies led me to the books, TheOneRing.net informed me of the many fans and their activities. This book wonderfully complements all of them."

But there were others lit up Facebook and message boards with a clear request: "We want a printed version!" As Ithilwen commented, "I hope for printed version as well, it just seems way more fitting to read about Middle-earth from a paper book. Or maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned."

Well, here it is. Real pages packed with hobbity goodness for you to hold in your hand and set on the shelf with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings movies the book is all about. It's a little piece of TORn you can keep as a collector's item and look back on as the years go by.

Get yours today to find out...

- Which creature design in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey the filmmakers weren't satisfied with and secretly changed for the extended edition DVD
- Which Hobbit movie includes an item with J.R.R. Tolkien's name written on it
- Which item Bilbo takes from Beorn's house and takes home
- How Peter Jackson could make an adaptation of The Silmarillion without obtaining the rights from the Tolkien Estate
- and lots more, including interviews with Richard Armitage (Thorin), Sylvester McCoy (Radagast), Richard Taylor (Weta Workshop), Mark Ordesky (LOTR Exec) and many more of your favorites.

Want to read a sample chapter and see what all the fuss is about? Here you go!

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 14 2014, 1:37pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2014, 2:15pm

Post #2 of 12 (402 views)
Shortcut
how would that work? [In reply to] Can't Post

'How Peter Jackson could make an adaptation of The Silmarillion without obtaining the rights from the Tolkien Estate

- and why would any reputable film-maker want to do such a thing?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 3:31am

Post #3 of 12 (351 views)
Shortcut
That can't mean what it sounds like it means [In reply to] Can't Post

Can it?

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Celedor
Rivendell

Oct 15 2014, 12:52am

Post #4 of 12 (333 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

It talks about it in the book in the same chapter that talks about how wonderful Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion is!

-Celedor-
www.jwbraun.com

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 15 2014, 1:20am

Post #5 of 12 (329 views)
Shortcut
Flattery will get you everywhere [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm still curious about exactly what this is referring to. Of course, there is only one way to find out!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 15 2014, 4:11pm

Post #6 of 12 (307 views)
Shortcut
Excellent!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine is on its way!! *geeky hand clapping*

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 15 2014, 7:04pm

Post #7 of 12 (320 views)
Shortcut
It's pretty much what I thought it would be [In reply to] Can't Post

The reference is to the possibility of a film based on references to 'the Silmarillion' in the text and appendices of LOTR (and perhaps The Hobbit, of which there are a couple), which the filmmakers have rights to. I don't think such a film is terribly likely, or that it would be very coherent. Also, it would potentially still run into legal issues, since the references are so limited, and the additional material that they don't have the rights to so extensive. Such a film would need to veer pretty far from what Tolkien wrote in order to avoid those kinds of problems, and who would want that!
Thanks for the kind words about Arda Reconstructed!

The Hall of Fire

Celedor
Rivendell

Oct 15 2014, 9:36pm

Post #8 of 12 (340 views)
Shortcut
The Sil Movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree it's unlikely, but any Silmarillion film would need restructuring and invented material, and Jackson has certainly shown his willingness to create his own stories within (and sometimes outside) Tolkien's framework. That said, I don't think Jackson wants to do The Silmarillion, and as a poster said before, it would be unlikely he'd go against the wishes of the Tolkien Estate in the matter. Or at least that's my guess.

-Celedor-
www.jwbraun.com

Silmaril
Rohan

Jun 15 2020, 2:15pm

Post #9 of 12 (139 views)
Shortcut
Love this book! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this book and Lord Of The Films! A pitty that the third movie "TBOTFA" is not a part of it! Would be great to read your thoughts about that as well!!!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 15 2020, 3:41pm

Post #10 of 12 (137 views)
Shortcut
News from Bree [In reply to] Can't Post

Our spymaster hasn't posted in the forums since December 2016; I think she might have retired. I hope she's well.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 15 2020, 3:42pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 15 2020, 4:37pm

Post #11 of 12 (131 views)
Shortcut
It's been that long? [In reply to] Can't Post

The time has passed too quickly...

Usually she'd just pass along to the Boards news from the main page.

But she herself is doing okay, we Admins last heard from her earlier this month. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 15 2020, 5:05pm

Post #12 of 12 (130 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, 3 1/2 years since she's posted here.But your update was worth the necromancing of an old topic!

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 15 2020, 5:07pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.