Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
15 years ago today... principal photography started on LOTR!

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 11 2014, 9:23am

Post #1 of 9 (1397 views)
Shortcut
15 years ago today... principal photography started on LOTR! Can't Post

On October 11th 1999 principal photograhy started on LOTR. The period of shooting took 274 days, until December 22nd 2000.

Old press-release:

Click!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Oct 11 2014, 9:24am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2014, 1:35pm

Post #2 of 9 (1176 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Hard to believe it's been that long. [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit that I didn't read LOTR until I saw the previews for FotR, so I wasn't following the news on filming like many of you were. But I devoured all of the "making of" documentaries on the dvd extras.

Thanks for posting this article, it's like a time capsule.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 11 2014, 10:30pm

Post #3 of 9 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Has it really been that long? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just thinking it's time to re-watch LOTR. Something about Autumn and Tolkien...

shadowdog
Rohan

Oct 15 2014, 3:29am

Post #4 of 9 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Well I had read LOTRs [In reply to] Can't Post

Years earlier. But didn't know anything about this film being made until a few months before it was to be released. I had never heard of Peter Jackson and was scared another blasphemy was about to be released. Was in 7th Heaven when I actually saw the first film and have been in love with PJ ever since. Blush

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Oct 19 2014, 6:00pm

Post #5 of 9 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually always read the Lord of the Rings every other year.Right during the fall. There is something about Tolkien and fall season.

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Oct 19 2014, 6:05pm

Post #6 of 9 (1059 views)
Shortcut
I remember. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will never forget the moment I learned LOTR was going to be turned into film. My friend first told me and we held a party that weekend! of course it was just us two at the party and we geeked out all weekend. And then when we saw the movie - we knew we were in good hands. I don't agree with every single things he's done but I still love those films. Good times. Smile

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 11:23pm

Post #7 of 9 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Those were such exciting times. It was hard to believe [In reply to] Can't Post

that a film version was finally being attempted. There was some trepidation but more hope than anything. Doing the books justice was the main concern and over the years all of us have commented on the degree of success. Indeed, fall is the perfect time for the books.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2014, 2:45pm

Post #8 of 9 (1040 views)
Shortcut
the journey begins...... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I read LOTR when Orlando Bloom was in diapers.

It happened like this...

I borrowed a tent from a second cousin twice removed, so I could spend a week on a desert island called Assateague. He told me about this game they played: D&D. I showed up, rolled up a character, waved the paper at the DM and said, "What do I make of this?"

"Play an Elf."

"What?" You mean like Hermie, in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer?

"Read Lord of the Rings."

I already had a copy, a vast stack of verbiage given by a fellow Star Wars fan (you should read this)(lo! in my copious free time!!!)

I already had heard of Elves (other than Hermie) when some kid in art school said "You look like an Elf in that shirt. (????!!???)

Still....Hermie.

Then... LOTR.

And Legolas. Who evoked every NatureChildAnimalSpirit dream I'd ever had.

So when a buddy (who is my honorary Dwarf brother because he resembles one) announced that someone was doing a film, I ran to the computer and looked up Legolas.

"Who the doodah is this blond kid??!?!?!?"

Well, he said something nice about his dog, so... OK,.. I guess.

I devoured every trailer, every hint, every photo, and the blond kid looked more and more interesting.

He might just not manage to screw up my favorite fictional character ever.

He didn't.

He continues to not screw it up.

Fan.

Forever.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 25 2014, 11:05pm

Post #9 of 9 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Cate Blanchett was not yet cast? [In reply to] Can't Post

Learn something new all the time Smile ... I did not realize she was a later addition to the films.

Thanks for the link, TheHutt! This was a great read - just so hard to believe it was 15 years ago Shocked!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.