Immortal

Oct 19 2014, 12:58pm

Post #26 of 31 (2135 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

October 19, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The camp is moved to the hidden bay.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Bilbo found sitting on the doorstep lonesome and wearisome—there was not a doorstep, of course, really, but they used to call the little grassy space between the wall and the opening the "doorstep" in fun, remembering Bilbo's words long ago at the unexpected party in his hobbit-hole, when he said they could sit on the doorstep till they thought of something...
......Their spirits had risen a little at the discovery of the path, but now they sank into their boots; and yet they would not give it up and go away. The hobbit was no longer much brighter than the dwarves. He would do nothing but sit with his back to the rock-face and stare away west through the opening,... ...If the dwarves asked him what he was doing he answered:
..."You said sitting on the doorstep and thinking would be my job, not to mention getting inside, so I am sitting and thinking." But I am afraid he was not thinking much of the job, but of what lay beyond the blue distance, the quiet Western Land and the Hill and his hobbit-hole under it."

October 19, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Glorfindel leads the Company towards the Ford of Bruinen.
(not from the appendices)
..."There was neither star nor moon. Not until the grey of dawn did he allow them to halt. Pippin, Merry, and Sam were by that time nearly asleep on their stumbling legs; and even Strider seemed by the sag of his shoulders to be weary. Frodo sat upon the horse in a dark dream.
...They cast themselves down in the heather a few yards from the road-side, and fell asleep immediately. They seemed hardly to have closed their eyes when Glorfindel, who had set himself to watch while they slept, awoke them again....
...'...Drink this!' said Glorfindel to them, pouring for each in turn a little liquor from his silver-studded flask of leather. It was clear as spring water and had no taste, and it did not feel either cool or warm in the mouth; but strength and vigour seemed to flow into all their limbs as they drank it. Eaten after that draught the stale bread and dried fruit (which was now all that they had left) seemed to satisfy their hunger better than many a good breakfast in the Shire had done.

......the Road bent right and ran down towards the bottom of the valley, now making straight for the Bruinen... ...there had been no sign or sound of pursuit that the hobbits could see or hear; but often Glorfindel would halt and listen for a moment, if they lagged behind, and a look of anxiety clouded his face. Once or twice he spoke to Strider in the elf-tongue.
...But however anxious their guides might be, it was plain that the hobbits could go no further that night. They were stumbling along dizzy with weariness... ...Frodo's pain had redoubled, and during the day things about him faded to shadows of ghostly grey. He almost welcomed the company of night, for then the world seemed less pale and empty."

2. Gandalf waits for word of the company in Rivendell.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...In all his long years the wizard has never felt so helpless. He knew time was running out and the delays that separated him from Frodo while Black Riders hunted him in the wild could spell doom for the hobbit and all of Middle-earth. His only hope rested on his faith in Aragorn. Fear was ever in his heart as he brooded over the fate of the travellers.

October 19, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Discussions in the Dragon and over neighbor's hedges grew about the disappearance of Frodo Baggins. ..."He's off again for goodness knows how long this time. It's a wonder where he's gone to and who he's keepin' company with! Leastways that Sam had the good sense to stay put and tend to more important things. Finally learnt his lesson about crossin' the borders, it seems."

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 1:10pm

Post #27 of 31 (2107 views)
Shortcut
BTW [In reply to] Can't Post

I do remember those gold stars we used to stick on our foreheads. I wonder if they still do that? Or how are the young ones of today rewarded for achievement? Angelic

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom.
-Gandalf

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 9:50am

Post #28 of 31 (2219 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

October 20-29, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo and the Dwarves sit around and begin to think of what to do next at the Hidden Door.
..."A large grey stone lay in the centre of the grass and [Bilbo] stared moodily at it or watched the great snails. They seemed to love the little shut-in bay with its walls of cool rock, and there were many of them of huge size crawling slowly and stickily along its sides."

October 20, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Escape across the Ford of Bruinen.
(from the appendices)
..."'Our peril will be greatest just ere we reach the river,' said Glorfindel; 'for my heart warns me that the pursuit is now swift behind us, and other danger may be waiting by the Ford....'
......In the late afternoon, they came to a place where the Road went suddenly under the dark shadow of tall pine-trees, and then plunged into a deep cutting with steep moist walls of red stone.... ...here at the bottom of a sharp incline they saw before them a long flat mile, and behind that the Ford of Rivendell...

......There was still an echo as of following feet in the cutting behind them; a rushing noise as if a wind were rising and pouring through the branches of the pines. One moment Glorfindel turned and listened, then he sprang forward with a loud cry.
...'Fly!' he called. 'Fly! The enemy is upon us!'
...The white horse leaped forward. The hobbits ran down the slope. Glorfindel and Strider followed as rearguard. They were only half way across the flat, when suddenly there was a noise of horses galloping. Out of the gate in the trees that they had just left rode a Black Rider. He reined his horse in, and halted, swaying in his saddle. Another followed him, and then another; then again two more.
...'Ride forward! Ride!' cried Glorfindel to Frodo.
...He did not obey at once, for a strange reluctance seized him. Checking the horse to a walk, he turned and looked back. The Riders seemed... ...dark and solid while all the woods and land about them receded as if into a mist. Suddenly he knew in his heart that they were silently commanding him to wait. Then at once fear and hatred awoke in him. His hand left the bridle and gripped the hilt of his sword, and with a red flash he drew it.
...'Ride on! Ride on!' cried Glorfindel, and then loud and clear he called to the horse in the elf-tongue: 'noro lim, noro lim, Asfaloth!'
...At once the white horse sprang away and sped like the wind along the last lap of the Road... ...the black horses leaped down the hill in pursuit, and from the Riders came a terrible cry, such as Frodo had heard filling the woods... ...It was answered; and to the dismay of Frodo and his friends out from the trees and rock away on the left four other Riders came flying. Two rode towards Frodo: two galloped madly towards the Ford to cut off his escape. They seemed to him to run like the wind and to grow swiftly larger and darker, as their courses converged with his.
...Frodo looked back for a moment over his shoulder. He could no longer see his friends. The Riders behind were falling back: even their great steeds were no match in speed for the white elf-horse of Glorfindel. He looked forward again, and hope faded. There seemed no chance of reaching the Ford before he was cut off... ...He could see them clearly now; they appeared to have cast aside their hoods and black cloaks, and they were robed in white and grey. Swords were naked in their pale hands; helms were on their heads. Their cold eyes glittered, and they called to him with fell voices.
...Fear now filled all Frodo's mind... ...No cry came from him. He shut his eyes and clung to the horse's mane. The wind whistled in his ears and the bells upon the harness rang wild and shrill. A breath of deadly cold pierced him like a spear, as with a last spurt, like a flash of white fire, the elf-horse speeding as if on wings, passed right before the face of the foremost Rider.
...Frodo heard the splash of water. It foamed about his feet. He felt the quick heave and surge as the horse left the river and struggled up the stony path... ...He was across the Ford.
...But the pursuers were close behind. At the top of the bank the horse halted and turned about neighing fiercely. There were Nine Riders at the water's edge below, and Frodo's spirit quailed before the threat of their uplifted faces. He knew of nothing that would prevent them from crossing as easily as he had done; and he felt that is was useless to try to escape... ...he felt that he was commanded urgently to halt. Hatred again stirred in him, but he had no longer the strength to refuse.
...Suddenly the foremost Rider spurred his horse forward. It checked at the water and reared up. With a great effort Frodo sat upright and brandished his sword.'
...'Go back!' he cried. 'Go back to the Land of Mordor, and follow me no more!' His voice sounded thin and shrill in his own ears. The Riders halted, but Frodo had not the power of Bombadil. His enemies laughed at him with a harsh and chilling laughter. 'Come back! Come back!' they called. 'To Mordor we will take you!'
...'Go back!' he whispered.
...'The Ring! The Ring!' they cried with deadly voices; and immediately their leader urged his horse forward into the water... .
...'...By Elbereth and Lúthien the Fair,' said Frodo with a last effort, lifting up his sword, 'you shall have neither the Ring nor me!'
...Then the leader, who was now half across the Ford, stood up menacing in his stirrups, and raised up his hand. Frodo was stricken dumb. He felt his tongue cleave to his mouth, and his heart labouring. His sword broke and fell out of his shaking hand. The elf-horse reared and snorted. The foremost of the black horses had almost set foot upon the shore.
...At that moment there came a roar and a rushing... ...Dimly Frodo saw the river below him rise, and down along its course there came a plumed cavalry of waves. White flames seemed to Frodo to flicker on their crests and he half fancied that he saw amid the waters white riders upon white horses with frothing manes. The three Riders that were still in the midst of the Ford were overwhelmed: they disappeared... ...Those that were behind drew back in dismay.
...With his last failing senses Frodo heard cries, and it seemed to him that he saw, beyond the Riders that hesitated on the shore, a shining figure of white light; and behind it ran small shadowy forms waving flames, that flared red in the grey mist that was falling over the world.
...The black horses were filled with madness, and leaping forward in terror they bore their riders into the rushing flood. Their piercing cries were drowned in the roaring of the river as it carried them away. Then Frodo felt himself falling, and the roaring and confusion seemed to rise and engulf him together with his enemies. He heard and saw no more."

2. Gandalf and Elrond perceive the Black Riders at the Ford of Bruinen.
(not from the appendices-no text & text)
...Sitting in the great hall before the fire still gripping the arms of the great chair, Gandalf sighed and relaxed, returning to his pipe and gazing into the flames.

[Later, he described to Frodo:]"'The river of this valley is under [Elrond's] power, and it will rise in anger when he has great need to bar the Ford. As soon as the captain of the Ringwraiths rode into the water the flood was released. If I may say so, I added a few touches of my own; you may have noticed, but some of the waves took the form of great white horses with shining white riders... ...For a moment I was afraid that we had let loose too fierce a wrath, and the flood would get out of hand and wash you all away.'"

3. Frodo is brought to Rivendell.
..."'The Elves brought you from the Ford on the night of the twentieth, and that is where you lost count. We have been very anxious, and Sam has hardly left your side, day or night, except to run messages. Elrond is a master of healing, but the weapons of our Enemy are deadly. To tell you the truth, I had very little hope; for I suspected that there was some fragment of the blade still in the closed wound...'"

October 20, 1955
1. The Return of the King published.
...The third of 3 volumes of The Lord of the Rings was published in the United Kingdom. This volume contains the final 2 of Tolkien's 6 "books" of his epic tale and an extensive appendices. It introduces us to a history of Middle-earth, the main characters, the tale of the Ring of Sauron, the creation of the Fellowship, and the launch of the Quest to destroy the Ring.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 10:52am

Post #29 of 31 (2100 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

October 21, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf tells what he did while Bilbo and the Dwarves travelled through Mirkwood
(determined from text-The Hobbit & LotR)
...Gandalf had been to a great council of the white wizards, masters of lore and good magic; and that they had at last driven the Necromancer from his dark hold in the south of Mirkwood."

..."'...many years ago I myself dared to pass the doors of the Necromancer, our Enemy of old... ...taking shape and power again...
......Saruman dissuaded us from open deeds against him, and for long we watched him only. Yet at last, as his shadow grew, Saruman yielded and the Council put forth its strength and drove the evil out of Mirkwood--and that was in the very year of the finding of this Ring: a strange chance, if chance it was.
...'But we were too late... ...Sauron also had watched us, and had long prepared against our stroke, governing Mordor from afar through Minas Morgul, where his Nine servants dwelt, until all was ready... ...he gave way before us, but only feigned to flee, and soon after came to the Dark Tower and openly declared himself. Then for the last time the Council met; for now we learned that he was seeking ever more eagerly for the One. We feared... ...he had some news of it that we knew nothing of. But Saruman said nay, and repeated what he had said to us before: that the One would never again be found in Middle-earth.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 22 2014, 9:00am

Post #30 of 31 (2096 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

October 22, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo and the Dwarves still wait at the Hidden Door.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth
... "...the dwarves all went wandering off in various directions; some were exercising the ponies down below, some were roving about the mountain-side. All day Bilbo sat gloomily in the grassy bay gazing at the stone, or out west through the narrow opening. He had a queer feeling that he was waiting for something. "Perhaps the wizard will suddenly come back today," he thought."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 23 2014, 9:51am

Post #31 of 31 (2091 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

October 23, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Dwarves become impatient waiting on the doorstep (October 20-29)
..."...Tomorrow begins the last week of Autumn," said Thorin one day.
..."And winter comes after autumn," said Bifur.
..."And next year after that," said Dwalin, "and our beards will grow till they hang down the cliff to the valley before anything happens here. What is our burglar doing for us? Since he has got an invisible ring, and ought to be a specially excellent performer now..."

October 23, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Elrond's third day in his battle to save Frodo.
..."[Gandalf] -- Elrond is a master of healing, but the weapons of our Enemy are deadly. To tell you the truth, I had very little hope; for I suspected that there was some fragment of the blade still in the closed wound. But it could not be found until last night. Then Elrond removed a splinter. It was deeply buried, and it was working inwards... ...'It is gone now. It has been melted.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.