The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
HOBBIT nuances and nods to LOTR

schadowfax
The Shire

Oct 7 2014, 5:39pm

Post #1 of 9 (1151 views)
Shortcut
HOBBIT nuances and nods to LOTR Can't Post

hey ringers! my first time on this here forum. i was watching two towers today and the part where gimli says "Dwarves are natural sprinters, very dangerous over short distances.." i recalled the desolation scene where bombur outruns the other dwarves as they're appoaching beorn's house :) i liked that whether it was intentional or not. i dont remember if it was mentioned in the book

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 7 2014, 5:41pm

Post #2 of 9 (778 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, might have been [In reply to] Can't Post

But probably not. Think it was more for a comedic effect, seeing Bombur, the fattest one, being so scared he manages to outrun all the other dwarves for safety. I know it gets me every time. Tongue

But there are a ton of nods to LOTR, one that comes to mind after watching AUJ EE last night is "Let us have a little more light."

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 7 2014, 5:51pm

Post #3 of 9 (728 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you enjoy your stay. Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 7 2014, 6:21pm

Post #4 of 9 (766 views)
Shortcut
From The Hobbit: [In reply to] Can't Post

The laughter was the laughter of fair voices not of goblins, and the singing was beautiful, but it sounded eerie and strange, and they were not comforted, rather they hurried on from those parts with what strength they had left.
-Flies and Spiders

Sounds like sprinting to me!

As for a sprinting Bombur, it's right there in the book:

Even Bombur got up, and they hurried along then, not caring if it was trolls or goblins.
-ibid

As for Dwarves in general:

Dain had come. He had hurried on through the night, and so had come upon them sooner than they had expected. Each one of his folk was clad in a hauberk of steel mail that hung to his knees, and his legs were covered with hose of a fine and flexible metal mesh, the secret of whose making was possessed by Dain’s people.
-The Clouds Burst

They had brought with them a great store of supplies; for the dwarves can carry very heavy burdens, and nearly all of Dain’s folks, in spite of their rapid march, bore huge packs on their backs in addition to their weapons.
-ibid

They are indeed very dangerous over short distances!!

Oh, and welcome to TORn!!

"My friend,” said Gandalf, “you had horses, and deeds of arms, and the free fields; but she, born in the body of a maid, had a spirit and courage at least the match of yours. Yet she was doomed to wait upon an old man, whom she loved as a father, and watch him falling into a mean dishonoured dotage; and her part seemed to her more ignoble than that of the staff he leaned on.
“Think you that Wormtongue had poison only for Théoden's ears? ‘Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among their dogs?’ Have you not heard those words before? Saruman spoke them, the teacher of Wormtongue. Though I do not doubt that Wormtongue at home wrapped their meaning in terms more cunning. My lord, if your sister's love for you, and her will still bent to her duty, had not restrained her lips; you might have heard even such things as these escape them. But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?”

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!

“If a land don't understand you,
No matter how many regimes,
Saddle up, do not wait,
Don’t waste time at the weapontake.
Muster out of that roll call.
Ride Windfola out to your dreams!

“If the house of Eorl is nothing more,
Than a barn where brigands drink,
Their brats and dogs roll on the floor,
Then you know what the door is for,
Muster out of that roll call,
Wash Rohan into the sink!

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!"

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

Bladerunner
Gondor

Oct 7 2014, 10:44pm

Post #5 of 9 (630 views)
Shortcut
and don't forget when Dain kills Azog.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have the reference material handy, but from memory I got the impression that Dain sprinted up the steps after Azog at Azanulbizar.

Quite deadly indeed over short distances !

And again going from memory, the dwarves of the First Age must have attacked quickly to have killed an over 7-ft tall Thingol to steal the Nuaglamir and then quickly escape.

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Oct 7 2014, 10:50pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2014, 11:38pm

Post #6 of 9 (593 views)
Shortcut
I remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Dain leaping to decapitate Azog, not sprinting.

Barrel_Rider
The Shire

Oct 7 2014, 11:51pm

Post #7 of 9 (604 views)
Shortcut
Arrow [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin finding an elf arrow in the orc in AUJ and throwing it down saying "Elves!"

As Legolas does in Fellowship when he finds an arrow and goes "Godlins!"

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 8 2014, 4:12pm

Post #8 of 9 (507 views)
Shortcut
Hi schadowfax! An OT contribution to your thread - but something to look at [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw this this morning and I thought it WAS a Tolkien scene. Not exactly what you meant in your thread, but it's so evocative I thought I would post - because IMO it looks like LOTR, but in a way with the ratcheting danger in the Hobbit somehow I thought it works for those films too.

And the name of the piece is "Solace" which I thought is perfect for Ringers who haven't gotten a new poster release of their favorite character yet.Wink

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Solace-487045119

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Bladerunner
Gondor

Oct 9 2014, 12:41am

Post #9 of 9 (470 views)
Shortcut
"Up the steps after him leaped a Dwarf with a red axe." [In reply to] Can't Post

Dain leaping up multiple steps to overtake Azog gives me the impression of the dwarves' underestimated nimbleness and quickness.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.