The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How does Thorin get Thror's crown?

LaurenOakenshield
Bree

Oct 7 2014, 3:44pm

Post #1 of 16 (973 views)
Shortcut
How does Thorin get Thror's crown? Can't Post

Hey everyone. While I was watching the first Hobbit film last night, I noticed something interesting.

At the Battle of Azanulbizar, we all know Azog decapitates Thror. . .but I noticed Thror was wearing his crown - the same crown that Thorin wears in the BotFA teaser trailer!
Now that leaves me wondering how Thorin gets the crown since the Battle of Azanulbizar was at the gates of Moria. . .and after the battle nobody could have taken the crown from Moria to Erebor since Smaug would have been in the mountain at that time and he would have killed them.
Thorin has to get it from inside Erebor, but how? I guess we will find out for sure on December 17th! Wink

NottaSackville
Valinor

Oct 7 2014, 3:53pm

Post #2 of 16 (653 views)
Shortcut
I would guess Thorin had it the whole time [In reply to] Can't Post

In the movie-verse, the dwarves owned the field after the battle, so there's no reason they wouldn't have retrieved the crown after the battle. Thorin probably didn't want to wear it openly during the dark days of wandering.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

LaurenOakenshield
Bree

Oct 7 2014, 4:16pm

Post #3 of 16 (633 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the movie-verse, the dwarves owned the field after the battle, so there's no reason they wouldn't have retrieved the crown after the battle. Thorin probably didn't want to wear it openly during the dark days of wandering.

Notta

That is a good point and I didn't think about that, but I just now looked back and Thror was also wearing the armor and he had the sword that Thorin has in BotFA. . . I don't think Thorin carried all of that around with him all the time.
If they find all of that in Erebor (and don't show how it got there), I'm going to be confused! Crazy

Glassary
Rivendell

Oct 7 2014, 5:06pm

Post #4 of 16 (628 views)
Shortcut
More than one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like most of us own more than one pair of jeans I would assume that Thror would have more than one set of armor.
We know Thorin and company didn't carry this back to Erebor it stands to reason that they picked up these items
in the mountain.
When the dwarves fled all those years ago I assume it was with the clothes on their back. So the armory and the
closets would still remain as they left them. Armor being metal wouldn't degrade over the years and would still
be in the same condition as the day it was left.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 7 2014, 5:43pm

Post #5 of 16 (584 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he had it stored someplace? [In reply to] Can't Post

Although my best guess is there is more than one crown/set of armor of Thror's. Maybe Thorin has his dwarven companions forge him a new crown/set of armor/sword? We'll see come BOTFA!

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 7 2014, 6:55pm

Post #6 of 16 (594 views)
Shortcut
It's two different crowns [In reply to] Can't Post

The differences are subtle but if you look closely the crowns are not identical. The easiest difference to see is the center of the front - on Thorin's crown the black beaks of the ravens touch in the center, on Thror's crown there is a space between the beaks. Some of the angles in the design look different also.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 7 2014, 8:11pm

Post #7 of 16 (547 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because they look identical to me.

The ravens do not meet because of different size and shape heads. It sits higher up on Thorin's forehead.

LaurenOakenshield
Bree

Oct 7 2014, 8:18pm

Post #8 of 16 (516 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Although my best guess is there is more than one crown/set of armor of Thror's. Maybe Thorin has his dwarven companions forge him a new crown/set of armor/sword? We'll see come BOTFA!

I thought that maybe they would forge him a new one too, but that would take too long. Perhaps there are 2 different sets! Wink

LaurenOakenshield
Bree

Oct 7 2014, 8:19pm

Post #9 of 16 (536 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The differences are subtle but if you look closely the crowns are not identical. The easiest difference to see is the center of the front - on Thorin's crown the black beaks of the ravens touch in the center, on Thror's crown there is a space between the beaks. Some of the angles in the design look different also.

I never noticed that little difference but now I do! Very interesting indeed!

LaurenOakenshield
Bree

Oct 7 2014, 8:20pm

Post #10 of 16 (517 views)
Shortcut
Good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Like most of us own more than one pair of jeans I would assume that Thror would have more than one set of armor.
We know Thorin and company didn't carry this back to Erebor it stands to reason that they picked up these items
in the mountain.
When the dwarves fled all those years ago I assume it was with the clothes on their back. So the armory and the
closets would still remain as they left them. Armor being metal wouldn't degrade over the years and would still
be in the same condition as the day it was left.

I also thought that might be the case!

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 7 2014, 10:11pm

Post #11 of 16 (499 views)
Shortcut
And I don't think Thorin would wear a crown if he believes Thrain lives [In reply to] Can't Post

So this will be interesting, when does Thorin hear about his father?

At first I thought they were different, but even if Thorin did not lay Thror to rest with the crown (as I assume he did, by burning or otherFrown) - if the crown were kept, I would think it would have been brought to the Blue Mountains, eventually, in the hope that Thrain would be found. So I am going to assume there is more than one, possibly there is a room of Thror's where his things were, and that is where Thorin obtains the fur collar mantle and a crown? I am even thinking that during these explorations, Thorin finds the mithril shirt and will give that to Bilbo. Perhaps.

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 7 2014, 10:15pm

Post #12 of 16 (512 views)
Shortcut
I see the subtle differences but [In reply to] Can't Post

Think it's the fit to different head sizes - the designers seem to have been comfortable with crowns that are fitted back-to-front, like Thranduil's, and I think, the raven crown is similar. Nice touch from what we are used to! At first I thought they were different but I'm just not seeing that now, or enough of a difference.Unsure

Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2014, 12:12am

Post #13 of 16 (493 views)
Shortcut
So the crown might be adjustable [In reply to] Can't Post

But that still leaves me wondering how Thorin brought it with him to Erebor. None of the dwarves had their packs or coats when they escaped from Thranduil's prison, so.... now I'm having mental images of Thorin smuggling the crown out of jail by wrapping it around his manly, muscular thigh underneath his clothing, and if PJ wants to put that in the DOS EE I am SO on board with that! SmileWinkHeart

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2014, 12:31am

Post #14 of 16 (475 views)
Shortcut
Mmmph... thank goodness I have nothing in my mouth [In reply to] Can't Post

You are SO hilarious LaughLaughLaugh

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

LaurenOakenshield
Bree

Oct 8 2014, 12:35am

Post #15 of 16 (468 views)
Shortcut
Haha!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But that still leaves me wondering how Thorin brought it with him to Erebor. None of the dwarves had their packs or coats when they escaped from Thranduil's prison, so.... now I'm having mental images of Thorin smuggling the crown out of jail by wrapping it around his manly, muscular thigh underneath his clothing, and if PJ wants to put that in the DOS EE I am SO on board with that! SmileWinkHeart

ROFLOL!!! Ditto!! WinkHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 8 2014, 5:04am

Post #16 of 16 (495 views)
Shortcut
Darn it, Elarie!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was innocently reading and just choked on my drink, torn between laughing and trying desperately to tamp down a flood of SINFUL imagery bubbling up from my primitive brain.

Now I gotta order some of those plastic cooling packs along with the EE, just in case. As soon as I recover *cough*

EvilLaughCoolTongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.