First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 6 2014, 5:04am

Post #26 of 48 (527 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

(*waves at Mikah*)

Thank goodness Brethil came through when my computer crashed as I was preparing the post for my week...the night before leaving the country. Cool Same here: now I have time to finish the books I'm in now by December.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

a.s.
Valinor

Oct 6 2014, 11:23am

Post #27 of 48 (519 views)
Shortcut
If I was rewriting COH, I would add [In reply to] Can't Post

hobbits.

Smile

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 6 2014, 11:32am

Post #28 of 48 (512 views)
Shortcut
all turin ever needed [In reply to] Can't Post

all turin ever needed was a hobbit drinking song, advice from the old gaffer, and some anecdotes about the sackville-bagginses.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 6 2014, 1:00pm

Post #29 of 48 (494 views)
Shortcut
We could always do it sdrawkcab. / [In reply to] Can't Post

"My friend,” said Gandalf, “you had horses, and deeds of arms, and the free fields; but she, born in the body of a maid, had a spirit and courage at least the match of yours. Yet she was doomed to wait upon an old man, whom she loved as a father, and watch him falling into a mean dishonoured dotage; and her part seemed to her more ignoble than that of the staff he leaned on.
“Think you that Wormtongue had poison only for Théoden's ears? ‘Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among their dogs?’ Have you not heard those words before? Saruman spoke them, the teacher of Wormtongue. Though I do not doubt that Wormtongue at home wrapped their meaning in terms more cunning. My lord, if your sister's love for you, and her will still bent to her duty, had not restrained her lips; you might have heard even such things as these escape them. But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?”

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!

“If a land don't understand you,
No matter how many regimes,
Saddle up, do not wait,
Don’t waste time at the weapontake.
Muster out of that roll call.
Ride Windfola out to your dreams!

“If the house of Eorl is nothing more,
Than a barn where brigands drink,
Their brats and dogs roll on the floor,
Then you know what the door is for,
Muster out of that roll call,
Wash Rohan into the sink!

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!"

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 6 2014, 5:01pm

Post #30 of 48 (496 views)
Shortcut
Turin rewrite [In reply to] Can't Post

I dunno, shouldn't we sue the Tolkien estate for issuing a book that depresses Tolkien fans? Somehow that seems wrong on their part. Don't they realize the depth of their responsibility to us!??!!?

Anyway, I like the idea of a COH rewrite. I don't see how one salvages Turin, but I think you're picking up on an existing element in making Nienor into Lalaith #2, a source of happiness and clear-headedness. I guess I'd go ahead and let Turin and Beleg have their bromance, but Nienor could wind up with Mablung and have a half-elven child. Turin kills the dragon and retires from life on the Isle of Balar.

Mablung, Nienor, and child live happily and escape the Ruin of Doriath and rejoin him on Balar. Or Mablung and Nienor die tragically (because that nitwit Melian withdrew her Girdle of protection), but their child makes it to Balar, and Turin ends his days as a kindly uncle, training the child to be a great warrior, the First Marshal of Numenor's army, a hereditary position. That's if it's a boy. If it's a girl, she learns Beleg's healing arts via Turin and becomes the First Warden of Numenor's Houses of Healing. There, now I don't need to sue anyone; that's a reasonably happy ending, even if everyone eventually still dies.

I'd still let Hurin and Morwen come to a bitter end, not out of dislike for them, but because there's something very touching about it. Not all tears are an evil.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 6 2014, 5:11pm

Post #31 of 48 (502 views)
Shortcut
I still think it's a good idea, Wiz [In reply to] Can't Post

You started us on the non-sequential "what's your favorite Tolkien quote?" When we finish LOTR, after a break we could still have a monthly or bi-monthly "what's your favorite Tolkien chapter?" Maybe we do it monthly, and people sign up for it, planning 6 months out? It would be a way to keep book discussions going at a different pace. And maybe it's from ANY Tolkien book? Or maybe it's not an entire chapter, but an event. For example, Fingolfin fighting Morgoth, Eowyn fighting the Nazgul, or Beren & Luthien in Angband are favorite parts for me, but don't take up entire chapters. But they're more than a quote too.

Mikah
Lorien

Oct 7 2014, 12:52am

Post #32 of 48 (481 views)
Shortcut
Hi ya Cats! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems as though it has been a long time! I do remember the computer crash...I believe it was just a couple of weeks later that I did my grand, epic mis-post on the wrong week.Frown But all is well! Here is to hoping that their are no computer mishaps or loss for words in the upcoming LotR read throughSmile

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2014, 1:09am

Post #33 of 48 (486 views)
Shortcut
You have my.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Uh... Help? Unimpressed I'm not sure how to successfully parody that line, but I'd be willing to help in anyway I can!! Laugh

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 7 2014, 1:28am

Post #34 of 48 (483 views)
Shortcut
Well, please don't swing your axe around [In reply to] Can't Post

or you might crash Cats computer again. But we're grateful for your non-axe help.

Maybe you could help by coaching people on how to answer their own questions. You really have a knack for that. Cool

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2014, 1:59am

Post #35 of 48 (478 views)
Shortcut
Awwww.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown*Puts axe down* And I just had it sharpened too. It might come in handy you know... Yelling 'Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!' in a stenorian tone could definitely quell some major disturbance. (Note to self: Yell this in the midst of a chaotic RL situation.) Sly

Ooh! Ooh! I know! We could have the site designers add a feature that blasts the appropriate movie cry whenever a thread gets out of hand! Full sensory immersion!! We could even add some Gandalf! 'You shall not pass!', "Do not take me for some cheap conjurer!', and others come to mind. Mods! Let your voice be heard! (Literally!) Well... not your voice, but some of the most epic voices ever! Laugh

Oh, answering your own questions? That's easy!! We can decfinitely help with that! Just spend hours and hours a day alone in a silent, dark, damp place. You eventually get lonely, and you'll be dying to talk to anyone, so there willl be no reason for you not to!!! It really is one of the best ways to break the conversational ice with yourself. We guarentee it!! Angelic

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 7 2014, 2:21am

Post #36 of 48 (467 views)
Shortcut
So it was Rem who did it! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Keep cleavin'. That's the key: cleave." To alter another Gimli phrase for Rem's axe-wielding dual self. Cool

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 7 2014, 2:31am

Post #37 of 48 (467 views)
Shortcut
That would be fun [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably too much fun. I would write naughty things just so I could get the site to yell at me. Such as, "I think everyone on TORN is stupid," and my computer booms, "You shall not write that!" and smoke comes out of the keyboard, fireworks shoot out of my USB port, and then comes the sound of snarling orcs. Who knew reprimands could be so entertaining?

Mikah
Lorien

Oct 7 2014, 2:51am

Post #38 of 48 (460 views)
Shortcut
ROFL!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay Rem and CG, my face hurts from laughing!

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 7 2014, 2:54am

Post #39 of 48 (465 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hoping that LOTR will be flawless, at least with tech-related aspects. Angelic

Kim
Valinor

Oct 7 2014, 3:18am

Post #40 of 48 (466 views)
Shortcut
Well, at least that would be linear [In reply to] Can't Post

and slightly less likely to confuse us newbies. Wink

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2014, 3:01pm

Post #41 of 48 (455 views)
Shortcut
Oh, don't you remmeber... [In reply to] Can't Post

Our latest Mad-Lib revealed me as a blond, sequin covered, and barbarously dressed individual. I just added the axe to make me even more fierce-looking! It has rainbows and kittens on it!!! Laugh

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2014, 3:02pm

Post #42 of 48 (455 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

The temptation would be too great, but I'd want to do/see it....just once!! Laugh

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2014, 3:03pm

Post #43 of 48 (462 views)
Shortcut
Just one of my many services! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also provide free rambling and non-sequiter discourse. That's why whales can breathe underwater.

squire
Half-elven

Oct 8 2014, 6:50pm

Post #44 of 48 (458 views)
Shortcut
That's how Tolkien wrote it, after all. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Then when the ‘end’ had at last been reached the whole story had to be revised, and indeed largely re-written backwards." - JRRT on the writing of LotR, in the second Foreword.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2014, 7:59pm

Post #45 of 48 (477 views)
Shortcut
Would we have to write our final thoughts first? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe anticipate the previous discussions?

'Well, I'm sure this last year and a half has been a fine time with you all. I must confess that I don't remember most of it for various reasons that may have involved the following: work, school, family matter, an Elven GPS/Sat-NAV (Greenleaf model), or too much ale....'

We'll all sound like crazy amnesiacs! Laugh Though the idea of reading a book backwards has a certain T. H. White flair.

Morthoron
Gondor

Oct 10 2014, 1:54pm

Post #46 of 48 (439 views)
Shortcut
Having been through a few myself.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would agree sequential is best. It's been awhile for me, but perhaps by December I might even find time to join in. That is, if my editors leave me alone long enough to get my book published.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 10 2014, 2:23pm

Post #47 of 48 (437 views)
Shortcut
You know that thing you're going to say in December? I disagree completely. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Would we have to write our final thoughts first? by Rembrethil

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2014, 5:06pm

Post #48 of 48 (553 views)
Shortcut
Oh ho! Is that how it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just know that we won't be speaking somewhere around January, (How could you even think that that one character would do that thing for some reason!Shocked) so while we are still on good terms, I'd like to wish you a Happy New Year!! So there!!! Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.