Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 30 2014, 8:18pm

Post #1 of 10 (1085 views)
Shortcut
I just stumbled across this fan-made Silmarillion trailer Can't Post

(using clips from various movies.) I found it very moving. link

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 30 2014, 10:18pm

Post #2 of 10 (912 views)
Shortcut
So cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I knew what movies that was compiled from! They all looked epic in their own right.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 11:54pm

Post #3 of 10 (889 views)
Shortcut
Chills. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure they should ever bring the Sil to the screen. But if they did (and stuck--really--to the book) maybe this person should be the one . . .

Thank you!Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 12:16am

Post #4 of 10 (896 views)
Shortcut
If nothing else... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a sudden great urge to pick up the Silm right now.

I would love to see it brought to the screen, someday.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 1 2014, 12:16am)

Glassary
Rivendell

Oct 1 2014, 12:50am

Post #5 of 10 (892 views)
Shortcut
Check the end credits [In reply to] Can't Post

At the end they list all the movies which they chose scenes from. Made me want to go and and watch the ones I haven't seen yet.

squire
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 1:25am

Post #6 of 10 (892 views)
Shortcut
Oog. [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I admire the kind of effort and love it takes to make such a video, I found it as profoundly depressing as all the other "gritty B-movie world plus symphonic score = Tolkien" fan videos I've seen.

I guess my feeling is based on the idea that if the image already exists in the film world, so it can be glommed together in a collage like this, why would we want that tired image to represent a Silmarillion film in our imaginations? To the degree that the LotR films work as filmic art, it's the degree that Jackson and company came up with images we hadn't yet seen.

Also that opening speech (Feanor's I think) doesn't work on film, at least not as read by an audiobook narrator as the credits indicate. Jackson's screenplay was not the strongest aspect of his LotR project, but he and his writers did understand that a little Tolkien goes a long way on screen, and cut the speeches by quite a lot, compared to how they appear in the books.

Again, no disrespect meant specifically to the makers of the video; my reaction is more conceptual than literal, I think.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 10:01am

Post #7 of 10 (882 views)
Shortcut
I don't know what I think of it...... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was beautifully made and I can't help but admire the effort and thought that must have gone into it. I loved hearing Martin Shaw reading Feanor's words (that's from the unabridged audio book). It made me want to read the Sil again and some of the individual clips did make me wonder about the source films, hardly any of which I've seen. The only things I recognised were the burning ships from one of the Elizabeth I films and the water god which I think came from Narnia.

But none of the images evoked anything of the Sil for me. They weren't designed to, of course; it's hardly their fault. But Tirion? And the elves setting foot in a pristine world and the first sun rising behind them? And the elves themselves? It was all too small, too human. And watching it I'm more than ever torn between a longing to see at least some of the extraordinary magic of the Silmarillion unfold on screen, and a fear that any attempt to film it would somehow limit it. It's never likely to happen, of course, so I won't worry too much!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 1 2014, 10:40am

Post #8 of 10 (881 views)
Shortcut
Majestic! It's very well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually got goosebumps! AND I saw Bard on Mt. Olympus!

Someone put a lot of work and thought into this. Wonderful music really carried the grandeur of it. Yeah... this is great :)

Thanks Auntie!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 12:36am

Post #9 of 10 (846 views)
Shortcut
Well done [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was heartfelt and moving too. I was also impressed, from a technical standpoint, with how the artist blended scenes from so many different films in a way that made them flow together.
If this is what this individual can envision with images that were already created for other purposes, I'd love to see what they could do if given the resources to conjure it up from scratch.
This was an excellent fan film. Thanks for sharing the link Smile.

sherlock
Gondor

Oct 3 2014, 10:03am

Post #10 of 10 (860 views)
Shortcut
Very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wanted to se Huan.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.