Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Was Bard planning (or at least considering) a rebellion?

Scorchster
Rivendell

Sep 29 2014, 4:35pm

Post #1 of 13 (885 views)
Shortcut
Was Bard planning (or at least considering) a rebellion? Can't Post

I was re-watching DOS and during the scene where Bard offered his bag of makeshift weapons to Bilbo and the dwarves a thought struck me - why would Bard need to keep such a large (relatively) store of weapons hidden in his home?

They certainly couldn't have been for personal use - there were far too many for that, and besides, he had his bow. Point being, he wouldn't need so many weapons for personal defence (even if you include his children).

Could he therefore have been planning to overthrow the Master of Laketown then? Perhaps if the Master refused the election him and Alfrid were talking about, or continued to starve the people? Was he planning to arm the people and fight?

Also, on another note: I'm pretty sure those makeshift weapons will see some use in the bo5a...

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 29 2014, 4:57pm

Post #2 of 13 (641 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

He only had those weapons because the Dwarves paid him to get them weapons.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 29 2014, 5:15pm

Post #3 of 13 (609 views)
Shortcut
The does not seem right. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the film, Bard appeared to have a stash of weapons he kept hidden under water, before the Dwarves even arrived. He just went out to the dock under his living quarters, and pulled them up by a rope, short;y after he and the Dwarves arrived at Laketown.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 29 2014, 5:20pm

Post #4 of 13 (586 views)
Shortcut
Bard knew enough to find or make those weapons. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard might not have been actively planning a rebellion, but he seems to be prepared for the worst. Our film-Bard may be a bit of a survivalist. I think that he has anticipated trouble coming to Lake-town for a long time.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 29 2014, 5:45pm

Post #5 of 13 (582 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

It's possible, however unlikely, that he could have got the weapons and tagged them to a boat after he got past the Tollgate and before the scene of him pulling them up.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 29 2014, 6:04pm

Post #6 of 13 (544 views)
Shortcut
Yes. I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

He was not so much planning a rebellion as prepared for whatever happened. Laketown wasn't a happy place before the dwarves came along.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 29 2014, 8:53pm

Post #7 of 13 (496 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. The weapons were previously smuggled by him. [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the rebellion? Possibly. Bard obviously saw how corrupt the government was.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Cillendor
Lorien

Sep 30 2014, 3:54pm

Post #8 of 13 (400 views)
Shortcut
I always got the impression [In reply to] Can't Post

that a lot of people had those weapons. I can't remember what he says about them now, but I thought it suggested that others had them too. If he's as much of a popular hero as the movie portrays him, then I could see him and maybe a few followers securing weapons whenever possible. Not necessarily to rebel, but just to prepare.

Scorchster
Rivendell

Sep 30 2014, 5:07pm

Post #9 of 13 (370 views)
Shortcut
That is true... [In reply to] Can't Post

He might just be keeping the weapons in case of emergencies, being, yknow, The Protector of the Common Folk, haha.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 30 2014, 5:47pm

Post #10 of 13 (372 views)
Shortcut
If I had to make up a backstory for movie-Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

I would definitely think that he was. A) he had a stockpile of weapons B) he was already on the Master's radar (sorry for the anachronism lol) as being something of a threat, C) he referred to the people in the city as being hungry, that times were hard (sounds like he was very aware of the mood of the city), and D) he was descended from a Lord of Dale, so he probably had a desire to restore the luster to Girion's name, and also would have an affinity himself for public office / leadership.

So in my made up backstory Smile, I would say that he was, and that the only thing stopping him was concern for the welfare of his children, if he failed.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 30 2014, 6:02pm

Post #11 of 13 (363 views)
Shortcut
Charter member of "Dragonday Preppers". / [In reply to] Can't Post

"My friend,” said Gandalf, “you had horses, and deeds of arms, and the free fields; but she, born in the body of a maid, had a spirit and courage at least the match of yours. Yet she was doomed to wait upon an old man, whom she loved as a father, and watch him falling into a mean dishonoured dotage; and her part seemed to her more ignoble than that of the staff he leaned on.
“Think you that Wormtongue had poison only for Théoden's ears? ‘Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among their dogs?’ Have you not heard those words before? Saruman spoke them, the teacher of Wormtongue. Though I do not doubt that Wormtongue at home wrapped their meaning in terms more cunning. My lord, if your sister's love for you, and her will still bent to her duty, had not restrained her lips; you might have heard even such things as these escape them. But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?”

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!

“If a land don't understand you,
No matter how many regimes,
Saddle up, do not wait,
Don’t waste time at the weapontake.
Muster out of that roll call.
Ride Windfola out to your dreams!

“If the house of Eorl is nothing more,
Than a barn where brigands drink,
Their brats and dogs roll on the floor,
Then you know what the door is for,
Muster out of that roll call,
Wash Rohan into the sink!

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!"

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 30 2014, 10:22pm

Post #12 of 13 (339 views)
Shortcut
I love this [In reply to] Can't Post

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Scorchster
Rivendell

Oct 1 2014, 2:42pm

Post #13 of 13 (330 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably the only member, too, from the looks of it!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.