Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Billy Conolly on playing "Dain" (Yahoo Movies)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Cillendor
Lorien

Oct 1 2014, 9:12pm

Post #51 of 63 (235 views)
Shortcut
Even in the movie, I think he can be excused. [In reply to] Can't Post

If the Dwarves viewed the Arkenstone as a "holy stone" (what the name means) and considered it a sign from Mahal that Thror's right to rule was divine, then it would make perfect sense within the bounds of their religion to wait to go to war under Thorin until after he'd reclaimed it. The Arkenstone can perhaps be viewed as a sort of Ark of the Covenant, signifying that Mahal's blessing is on the line of Durin. If Thorin doesn't have the gem then he symbolically is lacking Mahal's favor, and going to war against a dragon would be futile.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 10:33pm

Post #52 of 63 (223 views)
Shortcut
True... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but Thorin said to Gandalf in Bree, before the Blue Mountains powwow, that the Dwarves would not unite under him unless he had the Arkenstone. So if Thorin already knew the Dwarves wouldn't unite under him without the Arkenstone, what was that meeting even for? Was Thorin seriously planning on invading Erebor, even while he already knew the other Dwarves wouldn't come (and also after already agreeing to Gandalf's stealth plan)?

In any case, I wish they hadn't included that line about Dain. Because I can completely see where some people are getting this idea of Dain being an opportunist.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Oct 1 2014, 10:34pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 1 2014, 10:50pm

Post #53 of 63 (219 views)
Shortcut
No harm in asking? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps Thorin thought he could persuade Dáin to join him.

He probably proposed the idea of the quest with a humble tone and a desperate "please" thrown in there too.

And I wouldn't view Dáin as an opportunist because he refuses to take on a formidable dragon without an
Arkenstone wielding leader to follow and then comes to Thorin's aid when he can now see a realistic
chance for victory.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 1 2014, 10:51pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 10:50pm

Post #54 of 63 (215 views)
Shortcut
One assumes it is the kind of thing that is worth checking [In reply to] Can't Post

Before going up against a dragon alone, even if you are pretty sure the answer will be no!

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 11:03pm

Post #55 of 63 (214 views)
Shortcut
But they weren't supposed to be going up against the dragon... [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the whole purpose of bringing Bilbo along. Bilbo was supposed to sneak in and get the Arkenstone, there wasn't supposed to be a battle with Smaug presumably until the Dwarves were united (of course, there ended up being one anyway in Jackson's version).

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 11:16pm

Post #56 of 63 (213 views)
Shortcut
In the films, do you mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the films, Gandalf advises both Thrain and Thorin to gather an army and destroy Smaug. Thorin says that the other dwarves won't follow him without the stone (but has a go at persuading them). Gandalf offers to help steal the stone - in order that Thorin can use it to gather the armies and destroy the dragon.

I'm not quite sure if that is what you were asking though?

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 11:22pm

Post #57 of 63 (209 views)
Shortcut
Oh or.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you interpret my phrase "going up against" as specifically meaning planning to fight the dragon. Apologies if so - I just meant going to his lair and putting themselves in harm's way.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 1 2014, 11:25pm

Post #58 of 63 (217 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it seems you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess Thorin just asked Dáin if he and his troops would simply accompany them on
the quest.

And I suppose Dáin told Thorin to call him once he got his hands on the Arkenstone.

Or . . . Perhaps Thorin was hoping that if he got Dáin to agree to the quest then it might
influence the other Dwarf kingdoms to join them. And at Bag end, Mr. Oakenshield would
have told Gandalf that Bilbo was no longer needed.
Unimpressed

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 1 2014, 11:34pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 11:27pm

Post #59 of 63 (207 views)
Shortcut
Yes, in the films... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin calls a meeting with the purpose of asking the Dwarves to unite after he and Gandalf had already agreed to have Bilbo steal the Arkenstone for the very purpose of uniting the Dwarves (because the Dwarves won't recognize Thorin unless he has the Arkenstone, something Thorin is revealed to be acutely aware of). This is what happened, is it not?

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Oct 1 2014, 11:29pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 11:31pm

Post #60 of 63 (201 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin strongly suspects he will need the stone but meets the other dwarves to check before embarking on the burglary plan, as discussed.

As I say, one assumes that checking is worthwhile before heading to a dragon's lair.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 11:34pm

Post #61 of 63 (204 views)
Shortcut
Seemed like more than just suspicion on Thorin's part... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in fact he seemed pretty dang sure of it Wink

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 11:38pm

Post #62 of 63 (199 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, pretty sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost certain, probably. Maybe a bit of self- doubt added in there too.

But surely worth having a final crack at persuading them before setting off on such a dangerous mission?

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 2 2014, 12:38am

Post #63 of 63 (211 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...but Thorin said to Gandalf in Bree, before the Blue Mountains powwow, that the Dwarves would not unite under him unless he had the Arkenstone. So if Thorin already knew the Dwarves wouldn't unite under him without the Arkenstone, what was that meeting even for? Was Thorin seriously planning on invading Erebor, even while he already knew the other Dwarves wouldn't come (and also after already agreeing to Gandalf's stealth plan)?

In any case, I wish they hadn't included that line about Dain. Because I can completely see where some people are getting this idea of Dain being an opportunist.

Yup, that would be me. Thank you for the earlier response too. I know once I get my copy of the Hobbit back from a coworker I will definitely be looking out for the differences with Dain. I should have known that was a PJ invention.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.