Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 4:57am

Post #26 of 47 (1005 views)
Shortcut
It is possible [In reply to] Can't Post

I may have ever so slightly nodded off on a couple of occasions.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 5:00am

Post #27 of 47 (1012 views)
Shortcut
The first time I saw it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I started falling asleep during the scene with the Russian scientists in the space station. I was too young to piece together what was going on.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

morganlyfe
Rivendell

Sep 30 2014, 7:50am

Post #28 of 47 (998 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, and Claudia [In reply to] Can't Post

...even Artie! They did a great job with the characters on that one, making them feel more like real people than classic "secret agents" (or, you know, movie stars with a gun).

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 12:49pm

Post #29 of 47 (996 views)
Shortcut
Parks and Recreation [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought "The Office" was mildly funny but never watched all of it, yet I am utterly addicted to Parks & Rec (similar in format) since recently discovering it on Netflix and watch 2-3 episodes a day. Not many TV comedies make me laugh out loud, but this one does. And I have inappropriate, obsessive fantasies about Leslie Knope the same way she does about Joe Biden. :)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 30 2014, 4:11pm

Post #30 of 47 (976 views)
Shortcut
ah, okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're talking about music in the original classical piece but not in the movie.

I think.

But my head is so muddled from this cold I have I might be missing the mark again.

I used to have the entire piece of record. Just went and found it on YouTube so I could remind myself what it's like.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Immortal

Sep 30 2014, 4:28pm

Post #31 of 47 (973 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Why did it have to end at all? Same with Eureka. Funny shows for smart people.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 12:20am

Post #32 of 47 (976 views)
Shortcut
Yes, correct. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for not making that clear the first time. My mind has been fried lately, too.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 1 2014, 6:49pm

Post #33 of 47 (955 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Chef (2014) - cute if predictable follow your dreams story. A restaurant chef is fired from his job when he gets too creative and opens a success food truck.

Space Station 76 (2014) You can tell this was a stage play from the way the dialog was written, but 70s style men and women war of the sexes, sex, cheating, flirting and manipulation in a sort of ode to Space 1999. The Mindy character needed to get the Alien flush out of the airlock, but this was definitely more sad than funny. (It's pushed as a comedy, and the only comedic moments are with the resident psychoanalyst robot, Dr. Bot, who enjoys prescribing as much Valium as his patients desire and talks in cliches.) I could have watched the movie with entire cast trying to work out their frustrations on the couch confessing to Dr. Bot as he tries so hard to help his carbon-based clients. That would have made this heavy handed film a bit more entertaining and thought provoking.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

(This post was edited by Bard'sBlackArrow on Oct 1 2014, 6:50pm)

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Oct 2 2014, 7:55pm

Post #34 of 47 (945 views)
Shortcut
I think (OUAT spoilers?) [In reply to] Can't Post

...it was supposed to be the sorcerer's hat --the one Mickey wears in the Fantasia clip when he brings the brooms to life and the symbol of EPCOT.

Keep smiling! Smile

"Do not spoil the wonder with haste!" Tolkien

"Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth." Satre

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Oct 3 2014, 10:17am)

Kim
Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 2:44am

Post #35 of 47 (927 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw that mentioned in a re-cap I read afterwards. Makes me very curious to see where they're going to go with that - could we actually get Mickey?!

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Advising Elf
Rohan

Oct 3 2014, 4:17pm

Post #36 of 47 (928 views)
Shortcut
Just finished watching the "Firefly" series and the movie "Serenity". [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely fantastic. I prefer character-driven shows, and this is one of the best I've ever seen.

I remember people posting about this back during the LotR release period when I frequented these boards, but I haven't watched broadcast television for about 20 years, so I missed it.
One of the ONLY things I miss about watching TV.

It's funny how many parallels this show has with the original Star Trek. Two pilots to sell the show, fan-based campaign to stop cancellation (which worked on ST), stuck in the death-slot of 10:00 Friday night (which happened to ST after it was un-cancelled), described as a "space-western" (which ST wasn't, really), etc.

My daughter and I watched each disc of the DVD set, and then the movie, on consecutive Wednesdays while Mrs. AE and Little AE (now 8 for those that remember me) were off at AWANA at church.

It has now become the current fantasy world that I live in. I'll rotate back through ST, SW, and LotR eventually.

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 6:19pm

Post #37 of 47 (929 views)
Shortcut
Hiya, AE! Guess who The Little Goblin is going to be for Halloween... [In reply to] Can't Post

Jayne Cobb!
I'm going to crochet the "ain't afraid of anything" hat and he's going to carry a ginormous nerf gun temporarily named "Vera". Laugh

We love that show. And we missed it the first time around as well.
Nice to see you. Smile

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Kim
Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 6:57pm

Post #38 of 47 (915 views)
Shortcut
Gracepoint [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the US remake of Broadchurch, also starring David Tennant. It's the same story, and felt like almost the same script. It was kind of like deja vu - it was very similar to Broadchurch, but just tweaked a little. David Tennant did a good job with the American accent, although it was kind of hard to place what accent he was going for. I think there's a bit of cognitive dissonance there for me as well since I'm so used to his UK accents. Glad to see Michael Pena as Danny's dad - I really like that actor. I did see a commercial that he's going to be in the new Brad Pitt movie Fury. Also, I think the character of the inn owner is the same actress from the original, and she got to keep her British accent. So overall, good start, although it reminded me that it's hard to watch a murder mystery centered around a child.

Advising Elf
Rohan

Oct 3 2014, 8:17pm

Post #39 of 47 (910 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna have to tell my daughter about this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why does everyone, including me and my daughter, love an a******e like Jayne so much?

My theory is because he was so worried about Kaylee in the first episode, and he looks like a loveable boy.

Waddauthink?

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 3 2014, 11:38pm

Post #40 of 47 (907 views)
Shortcut
Godzilla [In reply to] Can't Post

The trailer was better than film. Unimpressed

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Oct 4 2014, 3:24am

Post #41 of 47 (893 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

...like, could we actually get Mickey? They have Jiminy Cricket, so why not Wink

Keep smiling! Smile

"Do not spoil the wonder with haste!" Tolkien

"Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth." Satre

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 6 2014, 8:17pm

Post #42 of 47 (873 views)
Shortcut
The Transporter [In reply to] Can't Post

2002. Some decent stunt driving, and lots of Jason Statham's amazing fighting. Characterization? Plot? Just enough of them to make it a good action movie.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Kim
Valinor

Oct 7 2014, 3:40am

Post #43 of 47 (871 views)
Shortcut
Captain America: The Winter Soldier; Doctor Who; OUAT, Castle [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain America: and I think I'm done with comic book movies. Just too many fight scenes for me. And for being named in the title, I was expecting a lot more around The Winter Soldier, I was kind of disappointed how his part didn't really amount to much (at least until the final fight scene, at which point, I'd already checked out).

Doctor Who: and I'm back to not being too sure about the new Doctor, and not sure if I'll stick with it. He's just so...not likable. Oh, and I was excited to see Hermione Norris (aka Roz from Spooks), but they didn't really give her much to do.

OUAT: that was a fun way to bring Anna into the Enchanted Forest, but man, was that bad wig on David! Looking forward to next week with Elizabeth Mitchell!

Castle: finally caught up with last week's premiere. Love Castle, but really, we're venturing into soap opera territory? Ah well, it's always entertaining.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 7 2014, 12:05pm

Post #44 of 47 (868 views)
Shortcut
Yes indeed... it may be time to watch it again XD [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a link to the recommendation and a few other favourites for Meneldor: (Link).

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 7 2014, 12:06pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 7 2014, 9:48pm

Post #45 of 47 (851 views)
Shortcut
GotG is still showing at the local metroplex, and $2 off on Tuesdays, so... [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am not some starry-eyed waif to succumb to your pelvic sorcery!"

"Hey, relax, it's cool to have a code name. It's not that weird."

"If I had black light, this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting."

"We're not going to blow up any moons!"
"You just want to suck the joy out of everything."

"Nobody talks to my friends like that."

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Dwarewien
Rohan

Oct 7 2014, 10:53pm

Post #46 of 47 (851 views)
Shortcut
Under the Dome, Season 1... [In reply to] Can't Post

which I own on DVD. I just pre-ordered season 2 on eBay, and the feedback I received was "this buyer is what eBay is all about". I've never got feedback like that before (not that my feedback has been in any way negative). They also had a wall calendar for 2015, which means the only Hobbit calendar I'll be buying for 2015 is the Page-a-Day one for DoS (perhaps I'll ask a friend of mine to buy it for me for Christmas). And I just found out that Into the Storm will be able to own on Blu-ray and DVD on Nov. 18th. Since I already have two things on pre-order (Under the Dome, Season 2 as well as the Extended Edition for DoS), I'll have to wait until the end of the month to pre-order this title as well (I'll be opting for the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack. The other titles don't have combo packs, so I had to buy the one I can actually watch), since I still have a few things to get for my Thorin Halloween costume. I've seen Into the Storm a total of six times in theaters with two of those times not costing me a thing (since I had enough Scene points for a free movie and have bought enough tickets to earn free admission from our cheapest theater as well).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2014, 8:33pm

Post #47 of 47 (863 views)
Shortcut
Ebay sellers can be ...creative... with their feedback at times [In reply to] Can't Post

I got this one:

'This buyer is so DA BOMB!!! Seriously, we're explodin' all up in here!!'

Yes, that is exactly how it was written. I usually write something like, 'Great/Terrible Buyer/Seller, fast/slow shippment/payment, reasonable/unreasonable price, good/bad product would/wouldn't do business again.'

I'm, sure I have gotten some more creative ones. but mostly I gloss over them if they are happy, as I am merely content to maintain my 100% positive rating.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.