Extended Edition dilemma
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 7:14am

Post #26 of 32 (278 views)
Shortcut
Nobody NEEDs 3D! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen it (saw AUJ in all its glory at the Embassy in Wellington, even), and really don't like it. I certainly don't want a 3D TV. Good flat-screen 2-D TVs are getting very affordable, so long as you don't need a huge one. And the new Blu-Ray players do 2D as well as 3D, so you can just pretend the 3D doesn't exist :-)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 30 2014, 7:02pm

Post #27 of 32 (256 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've seen it (saw AUJ in all its glory at the Embassy in Wellington, even), and really don't like it. I certainly don't want a 3D TV. Good flat-screen 2-D TVs are getting very affordable, so long as you don't need a huge one. And the new Blu-Ray players do 2D as well as 3D, so you can just pretend the 3D doesn't exist :-)

What about people who like 3D??? Because you don't like nobody should?

Nobody NEEDS a TV.

Nobody NEEDS LOTR;)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 30 2014, 10:08pm

Post #28 of 32 (233 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I've never had a problem with 3D. I've seen AUJ six times in 3D and DoS eleven (since I've never seen the latter in 2D in theaters, it was all in 3D, even after it moved to our cheaper theater). It would have looked awesome if they filmed Into the Storm in 3D (I've seen it six times so far). I also saw Titanic in 3D when the re-released it in time for the 100th anniversary back in April of 2012. The only difference I saw was that some of the characters that were in the foreground of certain shots were a little blurry, but other than that, it looked fine to me. Once I can afford to upgrade, I'm planning on replacing both AUJ and DoS for the 3D versions (except for the theatrical version of DoS, since I already have it in 3D), since if I've seen it in 3D, I'll want it in 3D. I can either give away the DVD editions or simply sell them on eBay.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 2:25am

Post #29 of 32 (219 views)
Shortcut
I was focussing on the word "need". [In reply to] Can't Post

Queen of Erebor wrote,

For me, it's the HDTV that's the pricey item (otherwise I would have upgraded by now), especially since I'll need a 3D one, not just a normal HDTV. When my current TV doesn't work anymore, I'll have to upgrade, since my parents are out of extra TVs.

"I'll need a 3D one" ... "I'll have to upgrade..."

If you want 3D that's fine. Sure, tastes differ. But if the objective is early delivery of the DOS-EE and you need blu-ray to do that, it's a far simpler and cheaper proposition to get a blu-ray and get the fancy TV later, when you can.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 6:08am

Post #30 of 32 (208 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, sometimes i wonder why [In reply to] Can't Post

people don't just spend the 60-80 bucks and get a blu-ray player, but then i remember that both of my roommates still have crt/tube tvs, and have zero interest in upgrading. I personally don't know how they can stand it-- i've always been a bit of an audio/video-phile-- but i guess it's all in what you're used to and where your interests lie.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 6:16am

Post #31 of 32 (210 views)
Shortcut
Blu-ray has never even come close to reaching the heights [In reply to] Can't Post

that dvd reached in the early- to mid-2000s, and it never will. Industry insiders are already saying that blu-ray has reached it's peak. Consider the decline in special editions, and the plentiful bonus features that used to accompany every major film's release on home video. Streaming isn't the future, it's already taking over, much as it saddens me. Hopefully there will always be at least some demand for physical media with beautiful packaging and behind the scenes documentaries and commentaries (similar to the (limited) resurgence of vinyl), and companies like the Criterion Collection, Kino Lorber and Shout Factory! are around for a long, long time.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Oct 1 2014, 6:24am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 1 2014, 1:31pm

Post #32 of 32 (207 views)
Shortcut
Even so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Blu-ray is still postioned to supercede the DVD as a physical format even if streaming and downloads prevent it from dominating the market.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.