The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Benedict Cumberbatch in the Hollow Crown: War of the Roses

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Sep 25 2014, 4:45am

Post #1 of 6 (182 views)
Shortcut
Benedict Cumberbatch in the Hollow Crown: War of the Roses Can't Post

Just wanted to send a shoutout to my fellow Benedict and/or Shakespeare fans! Filming has begun on the sequel to the acclaimed Hollow Crown series from the BBC. Yesterday the first pictures of Benedict as Richard III appeared online. As I looked at them, I couldn't help but notice how the color of his medieval clothing and his fur cape reminded me of the attire of a beloved Dwarf king... Wink

This is one of the things that I am most excited about after the Hobbit movie series ends this December, even though it's not supposed to be released in 2016 (and that's for the UK. I'm assuming we'll get it even later on PBS in the US, as was the case with the original Hollow Crown series starring Tom Hiddleston and Jeremy Irons).

I cannot wait for this. I love Shakespeare and appreciate the Hollow Crown even more since I visited Stratford-on-Avon and Warwick Castle (the childhood home of Richard III's wife Anne Neville) during a school trip to England last March. Who else can't wait to see Benedict as Richard III?

(This post was edited by Holly Hobbit on Sep 25 2014, 4:52am)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2014, 5:00am

Post #2 of 6 (109 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm looking forward to this too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad we have to wait until 2016. Sigh. I loved the first series. Hmmm I will have to find that picture of Benedict as Richard III that you mention! At least it will be out on DVD, so I will have the opportunity to own this second series!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2014, 5:09am

Post #3 of 6 (113 views)
Shortcut
I just found the pic of him as Richard III [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately I'm not savvy enough to insert the link here. With that long dark hair he reminds me of.....Sherlock LOL! No, really the hairstyle is quite different from the super sleuth. Quite the picture of royalty though, isn't he? Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 25 2014, 1:26pm

Post #4 of 6 (94 views)
Shortcut
Let's see if this works [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.radiotimes.com/...-in-the-hollow-crown

This is what I found - interesting! More interesting is the first "Hollow Crown" series, I've not heard of it but will look for it on Netflix.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2014, 2:46pm

Post #5 of 6 (82 views)
Shortcut
If you like Shakespeare then I hope you find the first series [In reply to] Can't Post

Jeremy Irons played Henry IV and Tom Hiddleston Henry V. I have really enjoyed seeing Hiddleston doing Shakespeare. I can see that, being as young as he is, he has a bit of maturing (or perhaps experiencing is a better word) to do into some of the roles, but both pieces I've seen him in - Henry V and Coriolanus - has shown him to be a very natural player. I like the ease with which he speaks; not the often overly melodramatic way. He really wears Shakespeare well. I am excited to see what Benedict will bring to his roles, both as Richard III and, more importantly to me, Hamlet (which i am going to be fortunate enough to see in person next fall!)

Thanks for the link, btw. I'm technically-challenged.

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Sep 26 2014, 9:02pm

Post #6 of 6 (79 views)
Shortcut
I can definitely recommend the first Hollow Crown series. [In reply to] Can't Post

The acting, the costuming, the scenery - all of it is superb. And the way it is presented is unique. Even though they are presenting a play, it feels like you are watching a movie. A lot of people will watch it for Jeremy Irons and Tom Hiddleston, but don't overlook Richard II - Ben Wishaw is amazing as the lead in that as well.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.