Any Available Admin: Posting help!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 21 2014, 11:05pm

Post #1 of 7 (2686 views)
Shortcut
Any Available Admin: Posting help! Can't Post

To whom it may concern (other than meWink):

I just spent 6 hours trying to get the pics and text to quit partially duplicating themselves and jumping around, so now when I posted it, there are all these weird code thingies at the beginnings and ends of many lines, and it's huge and doesn't fit on the page. But it doesn't show up in the edit box, so I can't fix it.

Any help would be very much appreciated!EvilPirateUnsureBlushCrazy

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 22 2014, 12:52am

Post #2 of 7 (2662 views)
Shortcut
Looks like Earl has saved the day! [In reply to] Can't Post

With the big clean-up - thanks, Earl!

Let us know if there's any more tweaking to be done. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 22 2014, 11:20pm

Post #3 of 7 (2621 views)
Shortcut
Anytime :) [In reply to] Can't Post

The post was rather wonky and I think it had to do with the editor that was originally used for composing it Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 22 2014, 11:43pm

Post #4 of 7 (2626 views)
Shortcut
You saved the day! [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileSmileSmile

And I think I've given up trying to get anything copied from my Mac onto the boards. Even plaintext didn't work.Unsure

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 23 2014, 3:35am

Post #5 of 7 (2629 views)
Shortcut
for what it's worth... [In reply to] Can't Post

if it was the Tolkienia Times post, that was a long one. I've learned that the longer the post is when you're employing a lot of formatting... the more likely you are to have trouble. I had a long, heavily formatted post I worked hours on and never did get it 'fixed' and I finally just gave up.

Over time, I observed that the longer my post got, the more wonky it tended to get. (Long posts with minimal formatting isn't an issue. I'm talking long posts where one has used bold, indent, italics, colors, etc.)

I would suggest you create an opening post for a thread and then post smaller chunks in replies to the original post. That might help some.

and to be honest, since I read in threaded mode, when I 'enter' any thread... I almost always enter by clicking on the original post and then seeing who's replied since I was last on.

When the original post is really long... I have to wait for it to load and then scroll w-a-y down the screen to get to the thread outline. If I do that to a particular thread more than a few times (forgetting it's one of those long opening posts)... then I make myself either click on the 'last post' indicator or just avoid the thread.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2014, 4:22am

Post #6 of 7 (2647 views)
Shortcut
I avoid that problem.... [In reply to] Can't Post

by composing without formatting (except paragraph breaks) until I've pasted it into the text box and then use the tools in Advanced Editor to do all my formatting, so as to avoid code conflicts. Then I highlight and copy the text before I preview or post so I've got it on my clipboard in case of vanishing-post problems. It's worked very well for me so far - but then I rarely post very long elaborate posts with as much complicated formatting as some of you all do.

And I view the forums Threaded/Threaded, so I can see all new posts as I scroll down the board and don't have to click into any thread to see what's new there.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 23 2014, 1:32pm

Post #7 of 7 (2611 views)
Shortcut
If you follow the link I gave (which I don't necessarily suggest you do) [In reply to] Can't Post

I had been doing what you suggest. I had a variety of text I needed in my post including some copied from the web.

So... I put all of it in Notepad to insure it didn't have any formatting attached to it and then put it in a post here and used Advanced Editor to format it.

It would look fine while I was composing but when I hit preview, it was messed up.

I actually scrubbed the text 2 or 3 times - each time starting fresh with formatting only in advanced editor and each time it gave me problems.

And although that one instance remains strong in my memory because of how long I tried to get it right and how totally frustrated and exhausted I was when I finally gave up ... I know it happened other times with long posts that used lots of formatting.

And I had been working in html and bbcode for awhile and understood the notion that code from word processing programs like Word (or other web pages) can cause problems and had already been taking regular steps to eliminate that from posts here.

It's not stray formatting. It's some glitch in the code or processing here. I'm convinced of it. But it really only shows up (for me) with long posts with lots of formatting so it's not something that's ever been properly highlighted or sorted out.

You can can see all new posts in Threaded if you view Expanded. I view Collapsed unless I choose to expand.

I don't suggest anyone avoid long posts initial posts because of me. I just was commenting that breaking up a long post (especially an initial one that is setting up conversation) has a secondary benefit... albeit only one to a few of us.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 23 2014, 1:34pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.