The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
News from German "Cinema" Magazine - SPOILERS

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 5:25pm

Post #1 of 17 (3346 views)
Shortcut
News from German "Cinema" Magazine - SPOILERS Can't Post

Thanks to Kim and jkm7 who offered the links and first rumours concerning the content of the articles.

I think this deserves a new thread: Link.

Interesting "reveal" as already posted in another thread by jkm7:

The Men of Lake-town seem to get attacked by Orcs after Esgaroth's destruction but before the Battle of the Five Armies, being aided by Thranduil who is shocked by the sight of Elves slain in this skirmish. He therefore refuses Gandalf's plea to help against the forces of Sauron (at first, obviously).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 21 2014, 5:27pm)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Sep 21 2014, 5:31pm

Post #2 of 17 (2030 views)
Shortcut
Okay THIS is news! [In reply to] Can't Post

It almost seems like the warg-attack from the TT all over again. The orcs might attack the men when they are leaving Lake-town? You know that shot from the teaser trailer, when you see the survivors leaving?

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 5:34pm

Post #3 of 17 (1929 views)
Shortcut
In Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

At least the scene of Thranduil staring at the dead bodies of the Elves took place in Dale, as well as the pictures taken of a Gandalf/Thranduil scene which must be the one they write about.

I'd expect Bard on his carte to happen during this skirmish as well.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 21 2014, 5:42pm

Post #4 of 17 (1874 views)
Shortcut
oooh nice! Thank you for posting *drool* enjoyed that [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I love all these little set details as well as the tidbits. I did attempt a translation of the pull quote over the Richard Armitage image which was a ghastly translation, but it seems the quote is basically that Peter Jackson has the whole story in his mind and drives? pushes? you to that.

Nothing earth-shaking 'coz we know PJ and Andy Serkis WORK the actors LOL Cool.

But it's an article with some interesting beef IMO, so thanks much!Smile And thanks to whoever did the English translation, LOL:

Men that fled into Dale’s ruins are being chased out of Esgaroth by gruesome orcs. (note: No, this sentence makes no sense in German either…)

LaughLaughLaugh

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Sep 21 2014, 5:54pm

Post #5 of 17 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice article and very interesting news about some of the events in Dale.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

VValar
Gondor

Sep 21 2014, 6:15pm

Post #6 of 17 (1783 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He therefore refuses Gandalf's plea to help against the forces of Sauron (at first, obviously).

That makes me even more curious to the moment in the film in which Thranduil does actually decide to participate in the Batlle of Five Armies and what/who it is that makes him change his mind. I think that moment will have so much more emotional suspense due to the previous rejection with Gandalf.

(This post was edited by VValar on Sep 21 2014, 6:16pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 6:18pm

Post #7 of 17 (1800 views)
Shortcut
I guess he does not have much choice... [In reply to] Can't Post

... once the army from DG arrives in the North.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2014, 9:28pm

Post #8 of 17 (1710 views)
Shortcut
Ah, explains what one of my sources told me [In reply to] Can't Post

I was told before they started the pick ups for TBotFA that no battle scene have been filmed yet. This confused me as we clearly see the Thranduil etc fighting in the trailer. Turns out it's not a part of the battle after all. My source also told me the entire battle would be done with motion capture, but I'm hoping they've shot plenty of live action as well.

(This post was edited by Carne on Sep 21 2014, 9:29pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 21 2014, 9:40pm

Post #9 of 17 (1623 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was told before they started the pick ups for TBotFA that no battle scene have been filmed yet. This confused me as we clearly see the Thranduil etc fighting in the trailer. Turns out it's not a part of the battle after all. My source also told me the entire battle would be done with motion capture, but I'm hoping they've shot plenty of live action as well.

I'm sure I was them say somewhere they didn't shoot the battle until pick ups in 2013. The trailer came out this year, so why are you confused Thranduil is fighting in it? Also, they shot live action on the Dale set. It'll be digital/motion capture for the wide shots, and possibly the orcs (or some of the orcs).

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2014, 10:02pm

Post #10 of 17 (1626 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, my post got a bit muddled [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the Dale skirmish was part of the battle and not a skirmish prior to it, so I got a bit confused when my source told me the battle hasn't been filmed. Makes sense now reading that this isn't the battle.

It sounds like the battle itself will be done much in the same way Battle of Azanulbizar was in AUJ, where even some of the closer shots were fully digital. The last I heard from my source is that they're doing a lot of formation motion capture for the different armies at the moment.

(This post was edited by Carne on Sep 21 2014, 10:04pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 21 2014, 10:26pm

Post #11 of 17 (1566 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought the Dale skirmish was part of the battle and not a skirmish prior to it, so I got a bit confused when my source told me the battle hasn't been filmed. Makes sense now reading that this isn't the battle.

It sounds like the battle itself will be done much in the same way Battle of Azanulbizar was in AUJ, where even some of the closer shots were fully digital. The last I heard from my source is that they're doing a lot of formation motion capture for the different armies at the moment.

Not sure I can believe that. The AUJ digital work seemed like a last resort, I can't imagine they wanted it to end up that way (they just didn't get the shots wanted). The goblins and orcs are probably the things being motion captured. They must have filmed a lot of the actors on set, they're not going to motion capture the whole thing. Surely not!

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 22 2014, 12:41am

Post #12 of 17 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Whew... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of guests online in the last few minutes. Wonder what spurred it? Edit: *remembers that it's the anniversary of TH's publication*. Ah. Cool

Interesting news, here! I wonder if Bolg's crew comes back, or if it's a different group. Scouts of the main army, perhaps?

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 22 2014, 12:43am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 22 2014, 6:17am

Post #13 of 17 (1416 views)
Shortcut
IMO if it's as good as Azanulbizar will be amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

Somewhere I read a comment from Orlando Bloom that doing battle scene could be just a few people...and the rest is put in later. On the other hand there was PJ's comment the last 2 weeks of pickups of it being "wall to wall dwarves" and Richard Armitage talking about fighting and "being angry"...e.g. sounded like a fair amount of "real fighting" which I assume will be fleshed out w. CGI.

For me, I hope there is more up close and personal type fighting shots. PJ seems to love aerial shots but a lot of the time I don't think those are very interesting.Unimpressed

Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 22 2014, 8:01am

Post #14 of 17 (1347 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Somewhere I read a comment from Orlando Bloom that doing battle scene could be just a few people...and the rest is put in later. On the other hand there was PJ's comment the last 2 weeks of pickups of it being "wall to wall dwarves" and Richard Armitage talking about fighting and "being angry"...e.g. sounded like a fair amount of "real fighting" which I assume will be fleshed out w. CGI.

For me, I hope there is more up close and personal type fighting shots. PJ seems to love aerial shots but a lot of the time I don't think those are very interesting.Unimpressed

It's never just only aerial shots, he always cuts to the heroes. In fact he said the general rule is never have three shots in a row that do nots how the main characters. All this CGI extras sounds worrying. The trailer showed plenty of extras fighting, and I hope they stick to that in the film.

Annatar598
Rohan

Sep 23 2014, 3:08pm

Post #15 of 17 (1136 views)
Shortcut
PJ doing battle scenes is often PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

doing his best filmmaking IMO.

Helm's Deep, Pelenor and even the Black Gate (which I found to be a deeply character-driven battle because of the handheld camera shots).

Monumental filmmaking.

And this being most probably PJ's last attempt to do a battle, I'm sure he won't disappoint!

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2014, 11:46pm

Post #16 of 17 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ does battles well. You never get tired from the action; there's always a character you care about that's involved, or a build up to something you know is going to involve a character you care about, like a flying Fell Beast perhaps Laugh

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 24 2014, 1:34am

Post #17 of 17 (1047 views)
Shortcut
I love Azanulbizar and Helm's Deep the best [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously Azanulbizar is a flashback, but the desperate, bloody, PERSONAL grittiness of it, up close, and that moment when the two armies clash with the sounds...IMO epic.

I probably like Helm's Deep for the same reason. Plus that beautiful moment of the Rohirrim. Actually, from the looks of the BOFA banner and trailer, I am thinking I will get my wish, battle-wise.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.