The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is anyone else looking forward to...

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Sep 21 2014, 5:22pm

Post #1 of 16 (1493 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone else looking forward to... Can't Post

the soundtrack as much as the movie itself? I hope Shore can give us a score to blow the other two away. Also, what new themes do you think we may get? I am curious to see what our Iron Hills/Dain theme will be. Thoughts?

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 21 2014, 5:31pm

Post #2 of 16 (867 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the soundtrack as much as the movie itself? I hope Shore can give us a score to blow the other two away. Also, what new themes do you think we may get? I am curious to see what our Iron Hills/Dain theme will be. Thoughts?

I can't wait for the score.

As for new themes, Shore will undoubtedly has a few ones for us. But many themes will have been glimpsed before.

For example for Iron Hills/Dain theme is likely the piece 'The Dwarf Lords' from the AUJ Special Edition soundtrack which is played in the film when Dwalin tells Gandalf where Thorin is in Bag end.

We've also heard the extended Beorn theme will likely play to accompany him in the film (with a more powerful phrase not heard in DOS), it was released as sheet music in the piano book for DOS.

There's also the theme for Bard's family that was released in the piano book that may appear in BOTFA.

We've got pretty much a theme for everything already so BOTFA should see the themes really get to shine.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Sep 21 2014, 5:57pm

Post #3 of 16 (842 views)
Shortcut
Of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

The soundtrack of DOS was absolutely brilliant.Very haunting and atmospheric with numerous great tracks-Wilderland,Durin's Folk,Feast of Starlight,Mirkwood,Smaug,Beyond the forest,Tauriel's theme- just to mention some.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Kim
Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 6:18pm

Post #4 of 16 (830 views)
Shortcut
Question [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you listen to the DOS soundtrack before you saw the movie? I didn't as I wanted to experience it for the first time in the movie itself, but it was such a change of tone from AUJ that I've wondered if it would have been better to listen to it first and get used to the new darker tone. I was really startled by the music over the opening credits, and it distracted me for the beginning of the movie. Now I'm wondering if I should listen to the soundtrack for BOFA before I see the movie.

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 21 2014, 6:55pm

Post #5 of 16 (802 views)
Shortcut
Yes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the DoS soundtrack from those very first little sample tracks - it was exciting listening to those. I'd still rate some of the Dos music among my favourites from all five films, so I'm certainly looking forward to more.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Sep 21 2014, 6:55pm

Post #6 of 16 (808 views)
Shortcut
Only some snippets! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't heard the soundtrack apart from some snippets of the tracks before i saw the movie.I was hardly prepared as to what music i would encounter during my first viewing.But,i appreciated the soundtrack during my second and third viewing of DOS.It is a true gem and far from being "generic" music for films that has been accused of by some.

If you do not want to hear the whole sountrack before BOFA,i suggest you hear some snippets or seconds from every track and that's it ;)

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 21 2014, 8:55pm

Post #7 of 16 (744 views)
Shortcut
IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Did you listen to the DOS soundtrack before you saw the movie? I didn't as I wanted to experience it for the first time in the movie itself, but it was such a change of tone from AUJ that I've wondered if it would have been better to listen to it first and get used to the new darker tone. I was really startled by the music over the opening credits, and it distracted me for the beginning of the movie. Now I'm wondering if I should listen to the soundtrack for BOFA before I see the movie.

I'd say wait for the film. The soundtrack could spoil parts of the film (especially as we know what the themes are). Also, I imagine it will be a powerful score that stands out (like the LOTR scores do) so you won't need to listen before hand to get the full experience.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2014, 10:17pm

Post #8 of 16 (722 views)
Shortcut
I'm picking favorites... [In reply to] Can't Post

I find "On the Doorstep" very beautiful. Especially the choral bit when the key opens the door, and the delicate line when Thorin enters Erebor.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2014, 10:21pm

Post #9 of 16 (727 views)
Shortcut
I am very much looking forward to it [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what Dain's theme will be like. I'm waiting to hear Galadriel's theme again, and Elrond and Saruman's themes. And Shore writes great battle music, so just the intermingling of the themes, in general, is something I'm looking forward to.

I do hope there will be a lot of choral music, but especially diegetic music. I find it enriches the films a lot.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 22 2014, 12:02am

Post #10 of 16 (693 views)
Shortcut
I liked that too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
when Dwalin tells Gandalf where Thorin is in Bag end.

I love all the music HS has done for the films. And it's such a special moment when you hear a small piece, maybe a few notes or so, that hint at a whole other world where that music is alluding to.
I liked this moment a lot too Smile.

Noria
Gondor

Sep 22 2014, 12:11pm

Post #11 of 16 (617 views)
Shortcut
I too am looking forward to the soundtrack, [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe not as much as the movie but close.

I suppose there will be a theme for Dain and his Dwarves, though as has been said it may be one we heard as an extra on the AUJ soundtrack.

For the Hobbit movies, so far my favourite part is all of Disc 2 of DoS: the Laketown theme, many versions of Durin's Folk, the wonderful orchestration of Smaug's scenes, the reprise of Starlight Feast and Beyond the Forest and so on.

I listen to the soundtrack as soon as I get it because I am not musical and it takes me a very long time to learn the themes well enough to recognize them. So listening to the soundtrack in advance doesn't spoil the movie for me.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 22 2014, 1:10pm

Post #12 of 16 (606 views)
Shortcut
Love the OST [In reply to] Can't Post

I listen to them in my rotation of things I use to calm my mind as I try to sleep.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 22 2014, 1:18pm

Post #13 of 16 (605 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be the last spoiler for me (the 30s previews), similar to last year.

I like HS's OST for AUJ and DoS... like, not love. They are inferior to LotR.

AUJ was too reliant on LotR and the overused MM-theme (I know, this did not come from Shore originally - I also do not critisize it in general - it was beautiful and on par with the Fellowship theme, but used too often).

DoS has some themes and musical moments that reach LotR moments (Laketown, Tauriel, Doorstep, Smaug, Mirkwood) - but the moments of musical and visual perfection are not as strong, yet.

I had wished for a stronger "Dwarven" theme, in particular. Bard's theme could also be more iconic, as well as the music for Dwarves vs. Smaug.

IMHO

This is criticism on a very high level, obviously. Many other movies would dream of such soundtracks...

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 22 2014, 1:29pm

Post #14 of 16 (618 views)
Shortcut
Bards theme [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It will be the last spoiler for me (the 30s previews), similar to last year.

I like HS's OST for AUJ and DoS... like, not love. They are inferior to LotR.

AUJ was too reliant on LotR and the overused MM-theme (I know, this did not come from Shore originally - I also do not critisize it in general - it was beautiful and on par with the Fellowship theme, but used too often).

DoS has some themes and musical moments that reach LotR moments (Laketown, Tauriel, Doorstep, Smaug, Mirkwood) - but the moments of musical and visual perfection are not as strong, yet.

I had wished for a stronger "Dwarven" theme, in particular. Bard's theme could also be more iconic, as well as the music for Dwarves vs. Smaug.

IMHO

This is criticism on a very high level, obviously. Many other movies would dream of such soundtracks...

Looks like it will become Girions theme, which is one of the stronger themes. Hopefully it'll get some memorable statements in BOTFA. As for Dwarven themes we've undoubtedly get several in BOTFA, IMO The House of Durin is a very strong theme indeed.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 22 2014, 10:31pm

Post #15 of 16 (559 views)
Shortcut
I always do... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

but since I didn't get the Special Edition soundtrack of DoS until after it got released to theaters, this is the one time I didn't. It was the same for Into the Storm (but only because the soundtrack didn't come out before the movie did). With BoFA, it depends on when I get my hands on the Special Edition. If it's before the release day, yes, if not, then no. Listening to the music doesn't spoil the experience for me any more than reading spoilers do (you're going to see it anyway, so what's the difference). Depending on the names of the tracks, I may know what the song is referring to (like The End of All Things track on the RotK soundtrack, so I'm sure BoFA will have a similar track), but even this doesn't spoil the experience for me (though it may make me cry).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Sep 24 2014, 2:59pm

Post #16 of 16 (524 views)
Shortcut
I am very excited for the soundtrack! *spoilers in post for those who haven't read the book* [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatever Howard Shore has planned, you know it is going to be glorious! Also heartbreaking, given the events toward the end of the story. Unsure

*spoilers* I want the funeral music to be the perfect tribute. With a singing Dwarven choir and all the bells and whistles. After all, they're royalty. *end spoilers* And I'm sure the ending music will be absolutely bittersweet. A heart-swelling version of the Shire theme would be very appropriate.

And I always look forward to the soundtracks, as much as the movie itself! I always try to avoid hearing the credits song ahead of time so it amazes me in the theatre. Song of the Lonely Mountain and I See Fire were absolutely amazing with the surround sound!

I purchase the special edition soundtracks at a nearby Barnes and Noble when we go to see the Hobbit movies in IMAX 3D, and it's become a tradition that my mom and sister and I listen to the soundtrack for the first time on the hour-and-a-half long drive home after the movie. I listen to the soundtracks for all the movies all the time, and I have yet to be disappointed. I'm sure the Battle of Five Armies soundtrack will be both epic and bittersweet! I will buy the special edition soundtrack of this one as well, definitely.

And a bit OT, but I just wanted to say hi to everyone since I am new to the message boards! I've been lurking for the past five years but love the sense of community at TORn, so I decided to join in the fun as we count down to the last Hobbit movie.

(This post was edited by Holly Hobbit on Sep 24 2014, 3:09pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.