Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition - Unofficial Shopping Guide

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 21 2014, 2:40pm

Post #1 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition - Unofficial Shopping Guide Can't Post

Hello,

As last year, there are a great many versions of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition out there. Especially in the USA, there are some exclusive releases (for certain chains only), whereas in Europe there are some interesting designs not released elsewhere. Therefore this thread:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Special Extended Edition (SEE) Unofficial Shopping Guide

I suppose there will be an official article for the US market at some point - therefore, I mostly will focus on foreign releases. Also, I don't take into consideration iTunes digital downloads, just the real deal.

As for importing: you can buy Warner BluRays all over the world, as they are region-free and include original English audio and subtitles. This, however, is not valid for the DVD: USA is still Region 1 NTSC, and Europe is still Region 2 PAL. Also, you might mind that some European countries make usage of rather intrusive age rating logos (UK & Germany for instance). Also, most European countries translate the film titles and other inscriptions for release in their countries.

The prices are not listed, as they are liable to change. When ordering on non-US Amazon from within USA, the price will be reduced by the amount of the VAT valid for that country. However, shipping costs must be considered as well.

Basics

There will be basically three common non-exclusive editions of TH:DOS SEE, with the following options:

Some countries will also feature additional types of editions: collector's gift sets with statues, extra discs, different packaging. In USA, the DVD release is exclusive. This info is listed below, with the description of why this special release is exclusive marked in bold. Also, where there is an exclusive version with a different design than the standard US one, a picture is included.

USA and Canada
(Nov 4)

HD
There will be two following official versions of BluRay non-exclusive to any chain.
- 2D BluRay (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with bonus materials)
- 3D+2D BluRay (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with the film in 3D, 2 Discs with bonus materials)

Exclusive HD

- 3D+2D Collector's Edition (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with the film in 3D, 2 Discs with bonus materials + Weta Statue) - exclusive to Amazon.com
- 2D Collector's Edition (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with bonus materials + Weta Statue) - exclusive to Amazon.com
- 2D BluRay Steelbook Edition (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Disc with bonus materials, steelbook packaging) - exclusive to Target.com
- 3D BluRay Steelbook Edition (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with the film in 3D, 2 Discs with bonus materials) - exclusive to Futureshop.ca - no working link available
- Thorin's Key 2D BluRay (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with bonus materials, Key to Erebor) - exclusive to Bestbuy.com

Exclusive DVD
There is no DVD officially listed or advertized by Warner, however, there will be an exclusive DVD release to WalMart.
- 5-Disc DVD edition (2 Discs with the film, 3 Discs with bonus materials, foldout digipak) - exclusive to Walmart

UK (Nov 3)

The UK versions are best suited for importing, given that they have the same english-language packaging. The age ratings (two round circles) might be irritating to some. However, for The Hobbit, they are printed on a separate removable sheet of paper. Also, the Brits do have some nice exclusives as well. Like with AUJ, the Weta Statue is not released in UK, though.

HD
The spine of the packaging of the UK BluRay version is thicker than the US release in order to accommodate the BBFC rating logos! No 2D-only version seems to be available.
- 3D+2D BluRay (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with the film in 3D, 2 Discs with bonus materials)

Exclusive HD

- 3D+2D BluRay Steelbook (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with the film in 3D, 2 Discs with bonus materials, steelbook packaging) - same design as the US Target exclusive, but in 3D.
- 3D+2D BluRay Bookends Edition (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with the film in 3D, 2 Discs with bonus materials, Guards of Erebor bookends) - this seems to be a late issue of the Guards of Erebor bookends. The cover art does not show it yet, but the Amazon listing definitely states it's the Extended edition. A little overpriced to my taste though. Exclusive to UK.

DVD
The design of the UK DVD (first printing at least) is a foldout digipak with an outer cover without a photograph, and thus more resembling the old LOTR SEE DVDs! Won't play on US DVD players though.
- 5-Disc DVD Edition (2 Discs with the film, 3 Discs with bonus materials, foldout digipak)

Spain (Nov 11)

The Spanish design is interesting, as it uses the same minimalistic design as the UK DVD version, but actually uses it for all the different BluRay editions as well. However, there is no foldout digipak for BluRay editions, just an outer slipcover. Also, the title is in Spanish and not in English (Edición Extendida). Still an interesting design choice!

HD
- 2D BluRay Edition (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with bonus materials)
- 3D+2D BluRay Edition (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with the film in 3D, 2 Discs with bonus materials)

DVD
The DVD has the same design as the UK box. However, it has a Spanish-language cover and also won't play on US DVD players.
- 5-Disc DVD Edition (2 Discs with the film, 3 Discs with bonus materials, foldout digipak)

France (Nov 12)
The French design is identical to the US. However, the cases for the 3D BluRays are thicker, as they also include the film on DVD. The inscriptions are in French, the edition is called "Edition longue". The Weta giftset is also released here.

HD
- 3D+2D BluRay (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with the film in 3D, 2 Discs with bonus materials + DVD)
- 3D+2D Collector's Edition (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with the film in 3D, 2 Discs with bonus materials + DVD + Weta Statue)

DVD
The French DVD edition has the same design as the US, however, the inscriptions are French. It won't play on US DVD players.

Germany
(Nov 13)
The German design is identical to the US (also the width of the cases). The rating stickers (FSK) are removable; however, they are still present on the discs themselves. The inscriptions are in German (Smaugs Einöde). There is also an exclusive Steelbook edition with a different front motif than the rest of the world. The Weta giftset is also released here.

HD
- 3D+2D Collector's Edition (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with the film in 3D, 2 Discs with bonus materials + Weta Statue)

Exclusive HD

- 3D+2D BluRay Steelbook (1 Disc with the film in 2D, 2 Discs with the film in 3D, 2 Discs with bonus materials, steelbook packaging) - seems to be the same design as the Canadian Futureshop one. Exclusive to Amazon.de

DVD
The German DVD edition has the same design as the US, however, the inscriptions are German. It won't play on US DVD players.

I will add further additions to this post when other interesting releases are going to surface.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Sep 21 2014, 2:45pm)

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Sep 21 2014, 3:21pm

Post #2 of 15 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Digitial version [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the digital version going to be available before the physical version?

Last week it came out on iTunes a week early and I couldn't resist watching all the clips on youtube.

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durin’s Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin’s Folk walk again in Moria.”

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 21 2014, 3:34pm

Post #3 of 15 (1692 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the digital version is scheduled for Oct 21st.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 21 2014, 4:38pm

Post #4 of 15 (1668 views)
Shortcut
Ugh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate that they do that. They create all these different physical versions, and then they reward the people that just by the digital one. I know it's only two weeks, but that's a long time in internet time. It's an especially long time for people like me with little self control when it comes to spoilers.Laugh

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 21 2014, 5:27pm

Post #5 of 15 (1603 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Possibly a marketing technique to both be cheap re producing less physical media at the same time snagging the collectors etc., but it *bleep*. FrownMad

But this thread is much appreciated, making sense out of the collection of versionsCrazyCrazyCrazy.

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 21 2014, 5:53pm

Post #6 of 15 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Me too... [In reply to] Can't Post

...digital downloads basically undermine the sales on physical media. Also because they are pirated in no time.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 21 2014, 8:39pm

Post #7 of 15 (1533 views)
Shortcut
It seems I can pre-order the DVD... [In reply to] Can't Post

from my local bookstore kiosk, so Walmart isn't the only place you can get the DVD in my neck of the woods (since there's a good chance I won't be able to upgrade in a little over a month. I'm still not finished with my Halloween costume). Even though Walmart will probably be cheaper, I usually opt to have it on pre-order so I don't have to worry about rushing to the store on release day. If I can afford to upgrade by November (doubtful, but you never know), I can always return it and buy the 3D collector's gift set on either eBay or Walmart (though the latter will probably be cheaper). Unlike with the theatrical version (since they usually come with every version), with the Extended Edition, I have to buy the one I can actually watch, and since it will be available at the same place I bought the Extended Edition for AUJ, it will be the regular 5-disc version, not the toned down version that Walmart or Target carry. And I don't do digital downloads, since I much prefer to own the physical copy (if there is one).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2014, 9:37pm

Post #8 of 15 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Thanks once again, Hutt for your time and effort on this - most useful... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be an excellent idea if this thread could be stickied, perhaps, or an article made from it for the TORn front page. Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 10:04pm

Post #9 of 15 (1501 views)
Shortcut
Thanks very much for posting this [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm well pleased with what we are getting in the UK and will be buying the fold-out DVD and steelbook. Smile

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 22 2014, 2:28pm

Post #10 of 15 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Japanese version [In reply to] Can't Post

Japan (12 Nov)

HD

The Japanese version on BluRay is interesting design-wise, as it uses the same design as the Spanish version, but is actually in English language. The cover of the inside amaray box seems to have Japanese inscriptions on the spine. There seems to be no 2D-only release in Japan.

DVD
The Japanese DVD version replicates the UK release. It is NTSC, but has Region code 2, so it still won't play on US players.
- 5-Disc DVD edition (2 Discs with the film, 3 Discs with bonus materials, foldout digipak)

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Sep 22 2014, 2:29pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 22 2014, 2:55pm

Post #11 of 15 (1429 views)
Shortcut
Shopping Guide table fix... [In reply to] Can't Post

The hosting provider I used for uploading the shopping guide table seems to have problems. Here is a fix (as I cannot edit the first post).

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 14 2014, 1:12pm

Post #12 of 15 (1270 views)
Shortcut
Bookends edition update! [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon has fixed the listing for the Bookends edition of DOS. It is just the Theatrical edition, not the extended one.
As I cannot edit my first post, be sure to mind it!

Dipling
Lorien

Oct 25 2014, 10:55pm

Post #13 of 15 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Zavvi [In reply to] Can't Post

Zavvi.com has EE Steelbook edition.
And a set of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Theatrical Edition and The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition 3D Key of Erebor Box!!! Shocked For 57EUR!
http://www.zavvi.com/...im-box/11023716.html
Or without LOTR TE - but same price.

Their offer: http://www.zavvi.com/...on+of+smaug+extended

(This post was edited by Dipling on Oct 25 2014, 10:57pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 8:13am

Post #14 of 15 (1237 views)
Shortcut
That's one senseless package... [In reply to] Can't Post

...also, it's not a steelbook.

Dipling
Lorien

Oct 27 2014, 9:11am

Post #15 of 15 (1234 views)
Shortcut
I meant [In reply to] Can't Post

as two separate editions.
- steelbook DOS EE
- and "strange" set box (DOS EE + LOTR TE)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.