Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Don't remember book but re film will Thorin and Dain ever actually talk (poss. spoilery)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 24 2014, 12:51am

Post #26 of 28 (556 views)
Shortcut
Thank you tho think we can assume there will be SOME explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

In the films - logically - otherwise you have an audience doing exactly what I would - so who's THIS guy? And why does he get to be king? Shocked

Just thought it would have been interesting to see Armitage and Connolly interacting, albeit briefly.Frown And now that I think about it, from a FILM perspective it would be gentler with all of Thorin's sufferings and struggles to get to Erebor, that it would *be nice* (especially for us Thorin fans) if there were a sort of passing of the torch script line. Otherwise (for me) it's something of a strain, thinking about someone who never says a word to the dying Thorin and then just ends up with everything, especially since Dain among others had said the Company was on its own, early on. Tho Dain DOES come to the rescue, ultimately.

As written, of course, the scene is really about Thorin and Bilbo *sigh*.

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

(This post was edited by Avandel on Sep 24 2014, 1:00am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 24 2014, 2:22pm

Post #27 of 28 (498 views)
Shortcut
Some mention of their relationship will likely be made. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the films - logically - otherwise you have an audience doing exactly what I would - so who's THIS guy? And why does he get to be king? Shocked

Did anyone remark in TH:AUJ that Dain was Thorin's cousin? If not, it would be easy enough for either Thorin or Balin to mention this to Bilbo at some point. They could even clarify that Dain is Thorin's closest male relative after Fili and Kili. Dwarven society (at least among the Longbeards) doesn't seem to recognize the right of a Dwarf-woman to rule--leaving Thorin's sister Dis out of the equation). For that matter, the tapestry that Bard located in Lake-town (if it survived Smaug's attack) also spells out these relationships.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Sep 24 2014, 3:11pm

Post #28 of 28 (509 views)
Shortcut
I don't recall them talking in the novel. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I am sure that may be changed for the movie.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.