The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
the flash of saurons eye

shaundobson
Rivendell

Sep 20 2014, 7:41am

Post #1 of 11 (1531 views)
Shortcut
the flash of saurons eye Can't Post

Does anyone miss the sound of saurons eye flash from the lotr? I mean I think the sound of the hobbit is pretty dismal and the lack of sound doesnt give you that much of a fright. Saurons eye flashes to bilbo before they enter mirkwood and when smaug says the word precious. The lotr sound was more of a shout when the eye appeared which was much better! So do you think the change in sound of.saurons eye was intentional for the hobbit?

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2014, 8:05am

Post #2 of 11 (1017 views)
Shortcut
probably intentional [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling they did it to make the flash feel a little less threatening and to hint at him not being at his full strength. Or maybe they just didn't want to make people jump in their seats as much this time around.

I definitely prefer the Lord of the Rings version.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 20 2014, 12:08pm

Post #3 of 11 (908 views)
Shortcut
It was more startling in LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

Always made me jump. It's hardly noticeable in these films.

Aranaes
Rivendell

Sep 20 2014, 12:35pm

Post #4 of 11 (909 views)
Shortcut
Just noticed..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just watched the clip of FOTR when Gandalf seeks the advice of Saruman, so I could compare the eye flash, and noticed how much more meaningful the dialogue in this scene is after seeing DOS. When Saruman says "You know of what I speak, Gandalf. A great eye, lidless, wreathed in flame...." we know that Gandalf has indeed seen this first hand. And you can almost see in his face, Gandalf recalling his encounter at Dol Guldur. Fits very well when you watch it I think.
As for the eye flash, I think it should be more subtle in The Hobbit, otherwise the audience would be used to it by the time they watch LOTR and it wouldn't have the same effect (when watching in chronological order).

'And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)!'

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 20 2014, 12:48pm

Post #5 of 11 (906 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't miss the sound and I do think the way it's handled in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

..is deliberate and for good reason. This isn't Sauron at the height of his powers, it's 'the Necromancer', still rebuilding himself after his earlier defeat. He's still in hiding. Like the changes when Bilbo puts on the Ring, the effects we see in The Hobbit are only meant to be foreshadowings of what they will become.

I don't miss the sound or its shock value because I think it would be out of place in The Hobbit. If the power of Sauron were that apparent at this stage it would hardly be credible that none of the Wise had noticed him. It isn't meant to frighten you yet.

I don't agree that the sound in The Hobbit is dismal, either. No idea what you were expecting, but everything sounds effective and convincing to me and I'm not sure what more they could have done.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2014, 1:19pm

Post #6 of 11 (869 views)
Shortcut
I think it was probably intentional [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to keep the main focus of the movie on the Hobbit story and the Lonely Mountain, not on Sauron. I'm enjoying the Dol Guldur side story and the fact that the moviemakers are linking the two trilogies, but I don't want too much information about Sauron at this point, otherwise Gandalf's research and discoveries in LOTR won't be very believable.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

dubulous
Rohan

Sep 20 2014, 2:33pm

Post #7 of 11 (867 views)
Shortcut
I think it's definitely intentional [In reply to] Can't Post

It's meant to be scarier in the LOTR movies. For those eventually watching it all chronologically, the eye of Sauron will be familiar to them from The Hobbit, but there'll have to be more menace to it when it's seen again in FOTR. It would be less effective in FOTR if the same effects were already used in The Hobbit.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2014, 5:55pm

Post #8 of 11 (796 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i agree, [In reply to] Can't Post

the less we find out about Sauron in the Hobbit movies the better. Save it for LotR. This is one thing they've gotten exactly right so far with this trilogy.

Remus
Lorien

Sep 20 2014, 7:10pm

Post #9 of 11 (773 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I miss the sound, sure, but i think it's for the better. As long as we get a kinda "long" fight with Sauron vs. Galadriel, Gandalf, Saruman and maybe Elrond(?) in BOFTA, i will be completely satisfied. :)

Maybe a fight like in Star Wars with Darth Maul vs. Qui Gon-Jin and Obi-Wan, like Sauron is kicking Gandalf's ass and Galadriel and then when Saruman steps in he is a bit in a retreat, so to speak. But i wanna see Saruman stand in AWE at Sauron and his power, like going "That power!" Shocked .

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

(This post was edited by Remus on Sep 20 2014, 7:12pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2014, 9:58pm

Post #10 of 11 (744 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Out of all the little connections between the movies, this moment has been my favorite so far. It adds so much to an already great scene. I also really love how they had Sauron throw Gandalf up against the wall. Now when you see Saruman do it, his moment of betrayal has even more meaning behind it.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Sep 20 2014, 9:59pm)

Gandy
Bree

Sep 20 2014, 11:34pm

Post #11 of 11 (757 views)
Shortcut
mind's eye [In reply to] Can't Post

Regarding the eye,

I always felt the Sauron's Eye in The Hobbit was not a physical manifestation. It came across as flashes in Gandalf's mind, like Sauron was sending magic psycho waves to the wizard to declare "I am Sauron!" And even though Sauron wasn't embodied yet, Gandalf sure would get the message that Sauron isn't playing around.

It was the eye flashing quickly in full screen and closeup of Gandalf's face. It wasn't the eye hovering above the ground with the stone ruins around it. It very much felt like a mental flash. We the audience were seeing what Gandalf was seeing in his mind. the Eye of Sauron was also flashing in our minds, so to speak.

So anyway, to me, the eye doesn't exist yet physically, and so Sauron is still just shadows and spirit. Powerful shadows, though.

Summary: There is no Eye of Sauron in Dol Goldur.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.