DOS Chapter of the Week: Smuggled Cargo
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 11:34am

Post #51 of 57 (314 views)
Shortcut
And, naturally... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've flipped the tables back into their normal place. And tripped over them on my way out. CrazyAngelic

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 12:55pm

Post #52 of 57 (309 views)
Shortcut
I feel bad for laughing at this... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 5:02am

Post #53 of 57 (308 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

You finally made it!

7. Did you like how Bilbo took the trouble to learn Bard’s name when none of the dwarves did? What does this say about the nature of Hobbits? What about the fact that Dwalin was ready to toss Bard over the side?
The one think that comes to mind with this moment: it's very much a 'we're watching a film, guys' moment. What I mean is that Bilbo doesn't talk to Bard on screen, yet we hear of it later at the same location. I can't think of any other time in these films that it was done like this. Not saying it's a bad thing, of course! But I do find it interesting that this moment is almost self-aware of being a within a film. If that makes sense...

Interesting perspective - I never thought of it that way.

Thanks cats!

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 1 2014, 8:53pm

Post #54 of 57 (307 views)
Shortcut
I've only just seen this ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Daniel, can you give us an overview of how fog forms over a lake?

My sixth sense was fogged over so I've only just come across this.

I could give you a very brief explanation, but I wouldn't satisfied. Like one of cats16' CHOW promises (Angelic), I will be back to answer it (in length!) Cool

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 1 2014, 8:54pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 6:42am

Post #55 of 57 (295 views)
Shortcut
*sheepish grin* [In reply to] Can't Post

Once you set foot on that path, you'll never leave it. Cool

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 2 2014, 6:42am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 2 2014, 6:28pm

Post #56 of 57 (301 views)
Shortcut
Fog on the Long Lake. [In reply to] Can't Post

For fog to form, and thus condensation, the atmosphere must either be cooled, and/or have moisture added to it. The method in which the atmosphere is cooled or has moisture added to it often depends on the type of fog which follows. Unlike fog on the Barrow-downs (radiation fog), the fog that swamps Lake-town is via advection. The main difference between radiation and advection fog is that advection fog is caused by the horizontal movement of warm moist air over a cold surface, while radiation fog is caused by the reduction in surface temperature.

Advection fog - refers to fog which develops, usually in a warm sector of an active weather front, when air is advected over a relatively cold surface. This mechanism is simplified in the image below.

When the warm, humid air moves over the cold surface (it could be cold water, a snowfield, ice, a glacier etc.), whose temperature is below the dew point, it is cooled to condensation (at which point the water vapour condenses, forming fog). Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air for the same reason that water evaporates more easily on a warm day. The warmer the water, the more energy the water molecules have, making it easier for the water to make the transition from liquid to gas. When warm, humid air cools, the air can't hold as much moisture, and the temperature falls below the dew point (the temperature at which the water vapor begins to condense out of the air.) This leaves the air with water that needs to go somewhere else — into fog. Depending on the low wind, the advection fog can last days. The depth of the fog will be dependent on the structure of the boundary layer.

The fog might also be enhanced by a land breeze. The difference of temperature between the Long Lake and the surrounding land can cause what is known as a sea breeze: during the day, the land is warmer; warm air rises, so air from the lake is drawn over the land to fill in the pressure difference, creating a wind from the Long Lake, toward land. During the night, the effect is inverted and the wind blows from land toward the Long Lake. This is further enhanced by the fact that it is approaching winter. During the winter, the Long Lake can give off latent heat, causing relatively lower pressure over the body of water. All these things enhance/cause the horizontal movement of air over the water to create fog over the Lake.

It is a very nice detail. Fog wasn't necessary. I wouldn't have thought differently had fog been absent in this scene.

Smile

Kim
Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 3:11am

Post #57 of 57 (298 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Impressively thorough answer as usual. Smile

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.