Sad
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 20 2014, 5:05am

Post #26 of 46 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Our prayers are with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I have really enjoyed Rickster's posts- he gave us very interesting insights on the movies, and was a very enjoyable poster. He was always polite, even if he disagreed with others, and was a very kind poster. I would have liked to have known him in person, but I was never given that chance Evil

I know that he had mentioned frequently about wanting to live long enough to see the end of the saga. I had no idea he was ill- I was under the impression that he was merely getting up in years. Maybe that's the impression he wanted to give us- I don't know. But I am glad to hear that TORn was a place where he could enjoy his final years amongst people he counted as friends. I have always thought of TORn as a family- we have our geeks (well, most of us are Wink), we have our occasional spats, we have the "moms and dads" aka the mods to break up squabbles, we enjoy common ground and friendly debate differences. Rickster was a poster that most definitely was among those that I count as my "TORn family" Smile He will be dearly missed.

I don't know what faith he believed in, but I have hope that he's up in heaven right now enjoying time with Tolkien himself. What greater reward could such a wonderful fan of Middle-earth have?

I know it sounds odd, but maybe, just maybe, God would allow him some way of seeing the movie up in heaven, knowing that it was his last wish. I know it sounds crazy, but (I believe) anything is possible with God, and I would like to think that He will grant this to Rickster knowing it was so important to him Evil.

My family will be praying for yours as well. And though I have never in my life attended a midnight premiere (sleep disorder and all that), maybe us TORnsibs will be able to gather in the lines for the movie in remembrance of your family member Smile

Rest in peace, Rickster. Have fun with the professor Smile

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2014, 5:41am

Post #27 of 46 (1239 views)
Shortcut
Lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Sep 20 2014, 6:08am

Post #28 of 46 (1225 views)
Shortcut
incredibly sorry to hear that [In reply to] Can't Post

And I remember he wanted to see the film. At least he found a way to share his thoughts and opinions about it.
The pain is for the ones who remain..my deepest condolences and my prayers to his family.
Heart

Aranaes
Rivendell

Sep 20 2014, 6:33am

Post #29 of 46 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Rickster will be missed. For him...... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgcoBKWTW14

'And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)!'

Bladerunner
Gondor

Sep 20 2014, 12:52pm

Post #30 of 46 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for sharing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Over time some forum members stop posting for different reasons and I sometimes wonder about them because I would enjoy reading their posts, so it was nice of you to let us know the sad news of Rickster's passing.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 20 2014, 1:59pm

Post #31 of 46 (1177 views)
Shortcut
Our condolences [In reply to] Can't Post

Rickster last posted here only a few days ago. Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 20 2014, 3:36pm

Post #32 of 46 (1160 views)
Shortcut
What a terrible loss. [In reply to] Can't Post

Any time one of us goes, for any reason, it leaves us without one of our eyes or ears or hands--something essential.

I know he will be greatly missed.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Sep 20 2014, 4:10pm

Post #33 of 46 (1156 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts go out to Ricksters family [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart May he rest in piece.

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 20 2014, 4:18pm

Post #34 of 46 (1159 views)
Shortcut
Oh, i am so sorry to hear of his passing. [In reply to] Can't Post

May he be sitting on the shoulder of Peter Jackson as the premier and final celebration of Middle-earth begins to unfold. A front and center ring side seat:).
I am glad his last days found him residing here. For there is fellowship and a sense of peace that fills this place and he i am sure was attuned to that.
Jeanette, i wish Rickster, you and everyone peace. I believe it will be so, for it was known to all, he had long and wonderful life. Actually, it is cause for a thankful celebration i feel.

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 20 2014, 4:43pm

Post #35 of 46 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Fare well, Rickster! [In reply to] Can't Post

It always hurts our hearts and souls when loved-ones leave us. But, what we need to heal is with us all along the way: our loving memories. Smile

It hurts my heart that Rickster didn't get to see the final Hobbit movie, but it makes my heart glad that he lived a long and wonderful life and was surrounded by people who loved him - much, much more important things. He was a valued member of our community and we'll all think of him and honor his memory as we sit in theaters in December.

For Rickster: Bilbo's Last Song by J.R.R. Tolkien

Day is ended, dim my eyes,
but journey long before me lies.
Farewell, friends! I hear the call.
The ship's beside the stony wall.
Foam is white and waves are grey;
beyond the sunset leads my way.
Foam is salt, the wind is free;
I hear the rising of the Sea.

Farewell, friends! The sails are set,
the wind is east, the moorings fret.
Shadows long before me lie,
beneath the ever-bending sky,
but islands lie behind the Sun
that I shall raise ere all is done;
lands there are to west of West,
where night is quiet and sleep is rest.

Guided by the Lonely Star,
beyond the utmost harbour-bar,
I'll find the havens fair and free,
and beaches of the Starlit Sea.
Ship, my ship! I seek the West,
and fields and mountains ever blest.
Farewell to Middle-earth at last.
I see the Star above my mast!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

kilifili
The Shire

Sep 20 2014, 5:46pm

Post #36 of 46 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Sad [In reply to] Can't Post

I didnt know him well, but my heart is really moved thinking about his passing. I remember one of Ricksters posts here just some day ago where he mentioned how afraid he is he might not get the chance to see the end of the trilogy. My heart is paining thinking about this last wish will remain unfulfilled.
May he find peace in eternity in a far green country under a swift sunrise.

“PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.

GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?

GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad.

GANDALF: No. No, it isn't.”

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2014, 7:11pm

Post #37 of 46 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Oh my... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

My condolences for your loss. I'm afraid I didn't know Rickster well, aside from recognizing his name from his posts on the board. But we all share the common bond of being affected by the Professor's works. I'd like to think that, in a sense, he will get to see the final film - as he will be in many of our hearts as we sit down in cinemas across the world this December.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 21 2014, 2:27am

Post #38 of 46 (1114 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for letting the people here know. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have any beliefs about an afterlife, but I like to think that if you would watch the movie with him in your heart, he'll see it. Because that's where he is; in your heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Sep 21 2014, 8:47am

Post #39 of 46 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for letting us know [In reply to] Can't Post

The narrative underlying Tolkien's work is indeed much about death. It actually articulates in so many ways the consequences of being "the followers" so there is much in it for those remaining to gain solace from. Put simply it articulates the consequences of the human experience.

I am a great believer that death generates energy. As we all move down toward December each one of us will feel a heightened sense of awareness of the blessings of being here and completing the journey.

Thank you again for letting us know. We do not know you but we can lift you up in our thoughts and prayers.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2014, 1:42pm

Post #40 of 46 (1074 views)
Shortcut
My condolences [In reply to] Can't Post

Very sorry to hear this news. Thank you for coming to let us know.

Storm clouds

Tintallë
Gondor

Sep 21 2014, 11:55pm

Post #41 of 46 (1053 views)
Shortcut
So sad to hear of his passing [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to know he found friendship and kindred spirits here in our community.

My deepest condolences to you all.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2014, 1:32am

Post #42 of 46 (1048 views)
Shortcut
I'm so very sorry for your loss. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad Rickster was able to find friendship here. I know how important it is to have a sense of connection during difficult times when we often feel most isolated.

My thoughts are with your family.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Sep 22 2014, 12:28pm

Post #43 of 46 (1031 views)
Shortcut
So very sorry to hear this! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for your kindness in letting us know.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

fingolfin_nc
Bree

Sep 22 2014, 5:19pm

Post #44 of 46 (1022 views)
Shortcut
RIP fellow Tolkien Lover [In reply to] Can't Post

May your journey to the far shore be a peaceful one.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 22 2014, 5:44pm

Post #45 of 46 (1031 views)
Shortcut
where you were no doubt welcomed home by Reverend, Rue Warhand [In reply to] Can't Post

and the other TORnSibs who have sailed into the West.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27 2014, 7:46pm

Post #46 of 46 (1012 views)
Shortcut
So sorry for your loss. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for letting us know.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.